[STALLED] Iris 16 - Building an RGB power button

iFreilicht

Thanks for the update @iFreilicht, looking good :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

I will continue to wait patiently.

It is much appreciated! If I'm lucky, I'll get two free weeks until New Year, so that should really help me pick up the pace.

2 hours ago, deathlikeeric said:

Awesome project! Good luck!

Thanks a bunch! I keep forgetting that posting more often also means more people will find this thread. I should work on that as well.

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

Thanks for the update @iFreilicht, looking good :)

You're welcome!

23 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

SNIP

I'm still interested iFreilicht!  I have a fist full of cash when ever this item is ready to ship.  :)

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

• 1 month later...

Final update.

I've got some bad news for all of you. Hereby, I am stalling this project.

At this point, I have zero motivation to continue this, and that means it would not become the product I wanted it to be in the beginning. Its quality could not be good enough for my standards, software updates would be delayed, as well as manufacturing and shipping, even support would be far below what one could call acceptable. Everything that you've heard about a bad crowdfunded product would be absolutely unavoidable if I tried to continue this. I now understand exactly why that sort of stuff happens, and I am very glad that I held off on running a crowdfunding campaign. Let's end this on good terms.

I've started my internship to prepare for an Industrial Design Master degree, and that takes most of the energy I have every day. Everything that remains, I'm putting into my musical skills. The Iris 16 was one of the reasons why I decided to take this route, it convinced me that I have the skills and mindset to work in this field but need to learn a lot more to do it right.

The only thread about Iris 16 that I'll keep updated is the one on smallformfactor.net, we'll also discuss on there if and how anyone can take over this project so that maybe Iris 16 will come to fruition in the hands of somebody else.

Thank you to everyone of you who gave feedback and supported this project!

12 minutes ago, iFreilicht said:

SNIP!

Sorry to hear this man. You're doing the right thing though, I would hate something that I poured my heart and soul into, to end up as something that I couldn't care less about.

Well, I wish you all the best... you certainly have the right stuff as far as I am concerned, and that's pride in your work and integrity, which is much more than I can say for some business owners.

I think you will go far, and you will be even better at this stuff once you have completed your training. All I can say is I wouldn't give up on it completely if I were you, I would put it on the back burner until you've had some more time training in your skills, and you may think of another way to do it, or improve upon it even. So IMO it'd be better to give it time to see what to do with it if anything... if you for sure kill it or give the project to someone else, then you may regret it. Maybe give it 6-12 months and then decide, at least then you could say you gave it more thought while you weren't stressed about it. Completely your choice of course, I'm not trying to dissuade you, just don't want you to regret in the future after all the hard work you put in is all... I support you either way :)

Anyway, I wish you all the best whatever you do. Keep working on something, even if you kill this project for sure. You definitely have the skills.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! :)

9 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

All I can say is I wouldn't give up on it completely if I were you, I would put it on the back burner until you've had some more time training in your skills, and you may think of another way to do it, or improve upon it even. So IMO it'd be better to give it time to see what to do with it if anything... if you for sure kill it or give the project to someone else, then you may regret it. Maybe give it 6-12 months and then decide, at least then you could say you gave it more thought while you weren't stressed about it. Completely your choice of course, I'm not trying to dissuade you, just don't want you to regret in the future after all the hard work you put in is all... I support you either way :)

Good thinking on your part, and I'm thankful for your concern. Rest assured that I've already done this. Since July, I've not worked much on this and I started to contemplate this step a couple of months ago. I'm glad to give it somebody else, I know a few people who I trust to be able to bring this to life in a professional and community-facing manner. Everybody wins in this situation :)

7 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! :)

Good thinking on your part, and I'm thankful for your concern. Rest assured that I've already done this. Since July, I've not worked much on this and I started to contemplate this step a couple of months ago. I'm glad to give it somebody else, I know a few people who I trust to be able to bring this to life in a professional and community-facing manner. Everybody wins in this situation :)

That's good, just wanted to make sure you weren't upset and reacting to some bad news or something, I didn't think you would give up on this lightly, but just wanted to offer a suggestion in case you hadn't considered every alternative.

I hope you'll keep thinking of ideas and tinkering at least.. you seem to have a knack for it.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Can you link us to the other forums post.

Man i was so excited to see this come to the market.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

19 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

Final update.

I've got some bad news for all of you. Hereby, I am stalling this project.

At this point, I have zero motivation to continue this, and that means it would not become the product I wanted it to be in the beginning. Its quality could not be good enough for my standards, software updates would be delayed, as well as manufacturing and shipping, even support would be far below what one could call acceptable. Everything that you've heard about a bad crowdfunded product would be absolutely unavoidable if I tried to continue this. I now understand exactly why that sort of stuff happens, and I am very glad that I held off on running a crowdfunding campaign. Let's end this on good terms.

I've started my internship to prepare for an Industrial Design Master degree, and that takes most of the energy I have every day. Everything that remains, I'm putting into my musical skills. The Iris 16 was one of the reasons why I decided to take this route, it convinced me that I have the skills and mindset to work in this field but need to learn a lot more to do it right.

The only thread about Iris 16 that I'll keep updated is the one on smallformfactor.net, we'll also discuss on there if and how anyone can take over this project so that maybe Iris 16 will come to fruition in the hands of somebody else.

Thank you to everyone of you who gave feedback and supported this project!

That's such a shame. Still, you did a fantastic job, and I've enjoyed following your progress a lot.

As a former student of Industrial Design myself (albeit at Bachelor level), I wish you the absolute best of luck with your internship!

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

5 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Can you link us to the other forums post.

Man i was so excited to see this come to the market.

Jup, TheRandomness is correct, otherwise I'd've done it already :D Don't give up hope yet!

4 hours ago, rjfaber91 said:

That's such a shame. Still, you did a fantastic job, and I've enjoyed following your progress a lot.

As a former student of Industrial Design myself (albeit at Bachelor level), I wish you the absolute best of luck with your internship!

Thanks man, much appreciated!

• 5 months later...

Hey i know you gave up on this becoming a product but would take individual orders? 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3