Help with weird internet issue with battlefield 1

I recently bought battlefield 1 for a friend of mine on PC and he got it installed quite quickly (for his connection) 

He has century link in Colorado, with a 15 down/ 1 up package. In reality he gets around 14/.8 and his ping from tests hovers around 30-40ms for ping which isn't bad.

Now when he launches battlefield 1, the game loads fine, goes into full screen, looks fine etc, but a few minutes in, whether in a game or just the menus, he starts getting massive lag spikes, bad enough where the Skype call drops, shows he's offline the game/origin and the problem effects his whole houses internet for a few minutes, but his modem still says he has a connection.

This is the only game he has any real issues with, other than Hero's of the Storm where he gets massive ping spikes 5-10 minutes into a game. 

He has just 1 PC (his). A smart phone (Galaxy s4) which he needs for Skype (his headset doesn't have PC audio plugs) and at most one other phone connected (his dads, but he hardly uses it, and we've tested without the 2 phones and his connection still dies)

Any suggestions would be great to get this taken care of

I've had quite a few problems with BF1 as well. Any time I play my other roommates say the internet becomes unbearable and my internet does disconnect quite frequently while playing. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

2 hours ago, stationvsbox said:

update dat router firmware, sounds like a bug

firmware was already up to date on the modem