OPERATION UNDERGROUND

Oberon.Smite

I moved into a new house recently and we're finally finishing the basement. I've decided it's time for me to move into the basement and the renovation is going on now. This is an update log of all progress done in the basement, and later the more fun/setup stuff. This project will likely take a whole year to completely perfect, but once it is done I know it will be worth it. I will post updates as often as I can. Here is day one.

IMG_20161105_160438.jpg

1. Shot coming down the stairs. For some reason it looks smaller than it actually is.

IMG_20161105_160511.jpg

2. These 2x4s are here to support the drywall frame.

IMG_20161105_160519.jpg

3. Making a closet for the HVAC system

IMG_20161105_160529.jpg

4. Patch panel I'm going to use to get fully wired networking. 

My Current plans/ideas

-Paint one wall a different color. Maybe blue or gray

-Wall mounted TV and Steamlink

-Buy rackmount for all networking gear

-Use Phillips HUE bulbs for colors

-Get a black IKEA desk

-PC upgrades:

--Get a 1440p monitor

--Buy a 1070 or better

--Get an S340

--Mechanical keyboard + better mouse

-Network setup:

--NAS for whole network

--Wireless AP for basement

--Gigabit switch with patch panel

Follow if you want updates. There will be one tomorrow for sure. If you have any ideas or opinions I will be sure to integrate them into the setup.

9 minutes ago, Oberon.Smite said:

~snip~

followed :P

Edited by KOMTechAndGaming
snipped

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

followed :P

Thanks. Do you mind snipping your message though? It's taking up like half the page lol.

Just now, Oberon.Smite said:

Thanks. Do you mind snipping your message though? It's taking up like half the page lol.

i assume that is just deleting your message and writing ~snip~?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i assume that is just deleting your message and writing ~snip~?

Yep. Thanks.

Yep. Thanks.

will do :)

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

The title makes it sound like you're making a hackintosh and trying not to get caught by the mods

Lmao

Update 11/6/16

DkzjLxC.jpg

1. Sheetrock is in!

Shaczw9.jpg

2. Almost ready for drywall. Plans for power + Coaxial ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 11/15/16

-This is going to get boring for a bit but once this kind of stuff is over we should start seeing it come together.

-I haven't been able to help out as much because the wrestling season started, but progress will still keep going, just at a slightly slower pace.

-I measured and found the dimensions of the basement to be about 12'x10.75' excluding the doorways and crevices.

7bo59sR.jpg

1. More drywall is going in. More went in since i took this picture. Sorry for the quality, didn't focus the camera.

Z9FvOVy.jpg

2. A built-in shelf is supposed to go here. This is probably where misc. items and networking gear is going to go, just need to seal off the rest.

eNu7m2o.jpg

3. Paneled roof is starting to take shape. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update 12/1/16

-Haven't updated in a while, kind of busy with wrestling (school ends at 3, practice ends at 6, i'm home at 7)

-Paint! Finally primer layers are going on and the drywall has been taped.

-Shelves are (kinda) in, as well as carpet. It doesn't look like carpet from some angles but it's commercial carpet

-The roof is a WIP. Replacing the temporary panels with foam/cardboard ceiling tiles ASAP.

OTVxKWh.jpg

1. From coming down the stairs you can see the furnace room finally has a door, the carpet is on the floor, and the walls just got primed.

cBTOeld.jpg

2. The shelves are sort of in. Like pretty much everything else, they're a WIP. 

XRwJ85f.jpg

3. Another perspective. The room looks bigger from this angle. Like I said before, the room looks smaller than it actually is IRL.

This is a perfect place to make it your man cave :) Looking forward for more updates :D 

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9 - NZXT Kraken X62 - MSI X370 SLI PLUS - G.Skill TRIDENT Z RGB 16GB 2667MHz - 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 WindForce OC - NZXT S340 (Purple-White) - OCZ 120GB, Seagate 1TB - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - SAMSUNG S24D590 24", HP L1950g - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Creative Cambridge Sound Works + two random Philips speakers, Logitech G430 headset - Win 10 Pro x64

Retro Gaming PC - ASUS T3

Server - HP ProLiant DL380 G6(Currently assembling it) - 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 2.26GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor

NAS - Zyxel NSA320S 2 x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB(RAID1) - QNAP TS-212 1 x 500GB

-=Logitech FanBoiiiiiiii=-

I love NZXT as well <3

• 8 months later...

why do people place their routers in the basement? makes no sense to me

even with all the networking gear down there, its better to lug a ethernet cable upstairs and then place the router there, well at least for me

everyone is upstairs or in the kitchen, and the kitchen is right below the master bedroom, so keep the router in the master bedroom. better wifi signal for everyone, and speeds! 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

why do people place their routers in the basement? makes no sense to me

even with all the networking gear down there, its better to lug a ethernet cable upstairs and then place the router there, well at least for me

everyone is upstairs or in the kitchen, and the kitchen is right below the master bedroom, so keep the router in the master bedroom. better wifi signal for everyone, and speeds! 

What a necro

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, wcreek said:

What a necro

its in his signature and i wanted to know :(

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

its in his signature and i wanted to know :(

Lol wow I can't believe people still check this thread. Yeah sorry I guess for not updating frequently but progress was so slow I thought it might be better to compound it into one big post near the end. And yeah we're almost at one year so I think it's time.  An update going to be coming very soon (3 weeks maximum)... if you've followed the thread for a while it will completely look different than the beginning... well I dunno how you got the router thing in the basement. I didn't put a router in the basement. I only put a secondary AP because I stay in the basement most of the time I'm home and if you looked through my other posts I have run a cable to the basement and have the router/modem/AP combo upstairs in the kitchen while there's a second AP and a gigabit switch in the basment.

Lol wow I can't believe people still check this thread. Yeah sorry I guess for not updating frequently but progress was so slow I thought it might be better to compound it into one big post near the end. And yeah we're almost at one year so I think it's time.  An update going to be coming very soon (3 weeks maximum)... if you've followed the thread for a while it will completely look different than the beginning... well I dunno how you got the router thing in the basement. I didn't put a router in the basement. I only put a secondary AP because I stay in the basement most of the time I'm home and if you looked through my other posts I have run a cable to the basement and have the router/modem/AP combo upstairs in the kitchen while there's a second AP and a gigabit switch in the basment.

i read wireless AP for basement and to me that means shoving your router there 

i just found out about this like today, a couple of minutes ago.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.