Man names Wi-Fi network “Daesh 21,” prosecuted under French anti-terror law

An anti-terror law was passed in France on November 13, 2014 

Article 421-2-5
Created by ION 2014-1353 of November 13, 2014 - art. 5

Causing directly in terrorist acts or publicly to apologize for these acts is punishable by five years imprisonment and a € 75,000 fine. 

The penalty is increased to seven years' imprisonment and 100 000 € fine when the offense was committed using a public online communication service. 

when the offense is committed through the press or by broadcasting or communication to the public online, the specific legal provisions governing those matters are applicable as regards the determination of those responsible.

An unnamed man was arrested by French authorities for breaking the law aforementioned and was given a 3-month suspended sentence 

He was arrested for naming his WiFi network "Daesh 21" which alarmed his neighbor who called the attention of authorities 

Daesh is the Arabic acronym for Islamic State, and "21" in this context represents the number for the Côte d’Or, the French department, or province, where Dijon is located.

The man insists that it was just a joke and he doesn't have anything to do with terrorist organizations

Though no terrorist connections were made the man still serves the sentence that was set upon him

His lawyer says that it is outrageous to seize his accounts and network under the premise of the name of his network connection

"He's an 18-year-old who has not even been able to explain the name. I don't think that renaming a Wi-Fi network is an act of praise! It's neutral, it's nonsense, it's not an argument."

I honestly don't know what my stance is on the issue given the evidence present

Sources: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/11/frenchman-given-suspended-sentence-for-naming-his-wi-fi-network-daesh-21/

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006070719&idArticle=LEGIARTI000029755573

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/05/french_teen_suspended_sentence_wifi_network/

Screenshot_20161105-094501.png

Just now, stconquest said:

Reported to CSIS.

Did you just assumed my location?

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

two things are infinite:

1. the universe
  2. human stupidity

he paid for it

but is that 3

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

two things are infinite:

1. the universe
  2. human stupidity

he paid for it

You forgot that we cannot be sure about the first one.

Looks like the law in the France is going to the same way as antisemitic laws in German which seem to be extremely vague and odd (like I remember the case of some football player being caucasasian and using number 11, so he must be a natzi because Adolf Hitler has 11 letters in his name and being white means he's aryan).

Just now, Thaldor said:

Looks like the law in the France is going to the same way as antisemitic laws in German which seem to be extremely vague and odd (like I remember the case of some football player being caucasasian and using number 11, so he must be a natzi because Adolf Hitler has 11 letters in his name and being white means he's aryan).

law??!

last time I checked, Martial Law is still in effect in France

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Did you just assumed my location?

Given that the time in the phone screenshot is 9:45 it was taken in UTC-4 hours, or the east coast of the US or Canada or central South America.

Elementary my dear Watson :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Given that the time in the phone screenshot is 9:45 it was taken in UTC-4 hours, or the east coast of the US or Canada or central South America.

Elementary my dear Watson :P

No, I put Canada as my location in my profile. But nice try

"it was just a joke!"
Sorry but that defense doesn't work, he should've known better than to use a name like that. That's like people making fake terrorist threat to airports "just a joke!". But law enforcement can't just ignore a possible threat, because if they did ignore them, one day it will be real and no one will react to prevent it.

Wasting everybody's time on a fake threat is not just a "joke", it's criminal. In his case, even if it was just his wifi's name, it can still be seen as a threat/allegiance to the terrorist group. He should consider himself lucky to have only gotten 3 months.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

law??!

Ok, still quite insane to prosecute someone from terrorism only for WLAN SSID.

Yeah, it's a very bad topic to joke about, but that kind of possible punishments from a joke are way too harsh.

Its just a word I dont know why people are acting so childish.

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

"it was just a joke!"
Sorry but that defense doesn't work, he should've known better than to use a name like that. That's like people making fake terrorist threat to airports "just a joke!". But law enforcement can't just ignore a possible threat, because if they did ignore them, one day it will be real and no one will react to prevent it.

Wasting everybody's time on a fake threat is not just a "joke", it's criminal. In his case, even if it was just his wifi's name, it can still be seen as a threat/allegiance to the terrorist group. He should consider himself lucky to have only gotten 3 months.

totally agree except for the sentence which in this case should of been a fine that covers the cost of the police callout because of this joke. the bueaty of this would be even on hoaxes our anti terrorist/police will not loose any funding and can still have a full budget to protect us. also make this more public so jokers will know what is not funny...

21 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Ok, still quite insane to prosecute someone from terrorism only for WLAN SSID.

Yeah, it's a very bad topic to joke about, but that kind of possible punishments from a joke are way too harsh.

go in a airport and say "bomb" to the law enforcement people - I triple double dare you

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

law??!

5bf.jpg

Lol

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

*goes to airport or mall*

*turns on portable Hotspot with most vulgar or offensive name*

*disappointed at lack of reaction*

*goes back home* 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*goes to airport or mall*

*turns on portable Hotspot with most vulgar or offensive name*

*disappointed at lack of reaction*

*goes back home* 

Or how about...

*boards flight to the middle east* (or anywhere effective, also may bring other friends)

*opens laptop*

*connects to wifi* (or sets up wireless LAN with friends on same flight)

*connects to a CS:GO match*

*cranks laptop speakers up*

..... :P

4 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Or how about...

*boards flight to the middle east* (or anywhere effective, also may bring other friends)

*opens laptop*

*connects to wifi* (or sets up wireless LAN with friends on same flight)

*connects to a CS:GO match*

*cranks laptop speakers up*

*"Terrorists win"*

..... :P

Added that for you. 

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Go to an airport and shout loud, "I've a bomb."

Afterward say it's only a "joke".

Take an old phone. Activate portable Hotspot with some terrorist reference. Stick the phone in someone's luggage. Watch the person get tackled. 

My eyes see the past…