Buy Used AW Aurora R4 And Put In A New GPU

Go to solution Solved by ElNacho,

Kay. So basically Don't go for it unless you can really get the price down.  Gotcha - thanks guys! :) 

Hey there!

So before I start off - I know that there seem to be a lot of Alienware/Prebuilt-haters out there but give me a break. I'm not looking for people to tell me how garbage their systems are or whatever, and how much easier/cheaper building a system myself would be. I've heard your arguments, and I am willing to give it a try nonetheless, so please spare me with that.

Anyways, right now I am thinking about buying a used Alienware Aurora R4 ALX on eBay (i7 3930K, 16GB of Dominator Platinum RAM, 256GB SSD Samsung Pro 840/1 TB HDD, Win10 Pro) for 800€ and then, since the GPU isn't included, buy something like a GTX 1070. I mean for around 1250€ I'd get a Watercooled HexCore, 16GB of RAM, an SSD, a GTX 1070 and an extremely awesome looking case. I'd mostly game on it and probably do some recording in the future. I know that the CPU is 'only' IvyBridge-E, but even so it's still a six-core running at a 4.0Ghz overclock and paired with a 1070 that should give me an extremely satisfactory gaming experience right?

But here's my question - do you guys think that this is a good deal? To me, it seems pretty solid, keeping in mind the really awesome case and all. Now obviously, upgrading the motherboard is, let's just say, "tricky" but there have been people that managed to do it, so if at some point in the future I really feel the need to upgrade the platform I'd be willing to give it a shot.

hmm im pretty shure you can get a mobo/5820k/ram/dualradAIO/case for about 800€ or less 

800€ is alot for that thing 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Upgrading that PC will be not a great idea. That PC will not support new HEDT CPUs or the new DDR4 or the 2014 Intel X99 Chipset. At that price you could easily get the same PC with Intel i7 6600K, Z170 Motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 250 GB SSD, 1TB HDD.

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

hmm im pretty shure you can get a mobo/5820k/ram/dualradAIO/case for about 800€ or less 

800€ is alot for that thing 

You sure? I mean if we're doing as much of an apples to appled comparison as we can with the Corsair ram and the Samsung Pro SSD I think the price would be well above 800€... 
But yeah I see your point - paying 800€ for an outdated platform is still a lot.

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/J3QFXH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/J3QFXH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (€397.84 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€159.50 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (€217.28 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€101.96 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€101.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€54.72 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€132.33 @ Mindfactory) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€92.74 @ Mindfactory) 
Total: €1258.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-04 12:51 CET+0100

You're overpaying by a lot. Bring it down to 1000€ at least

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, ElNacho said:

You sure? I mean if we're doing as much of an apples to appled comparison as we can with the Corsair ram and the Samsung Pro SSD I think the price would be well above 800€... 
But yeah I see your point - paying 800€ for an outdated platform is still a lot.

its not TERRIBLE but paying 800 for what is effectively sandy bridge kinda hurts my price/performance sense 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, ElNacho said:

800 € would be an amazing price

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Kay. So basically Don't go for it unless you can really get the price down.  Gotcha - thanks guys! :)