[UPDATED] The Windows 10 store version of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare will not work with the Steam version

Misanthrope

The Windows 10 store version of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare will not work with the Steam version

The Windows 10 store version of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare will not work with the Steam version

So I can't say I didn't saw this coming eventually: Microsoft is basically segregating PC gaming even more. They're not only making Windows Store exclusive games (though some have found their way to other stores afterwards) But now a 3rd party Windows Store game is intentionally crippled:

Can I play Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered for Windows 10 on Windows Store with my friends that are playing on another PC platform?

No, you can only play these titles with other users of Windows 10 on Windows Store.

I hold the controversial opinion that people should still not update to Windows 10 (even though us Windows 7 are 8 users are the minority at this point) and it's precisely because I know that whenever Microsoft "gets it right" with an OS this is immediately exploit it to their advantage and this Games For Windows Live levels of stupidity is basically Microsoft 101 for you: Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. They're only "interested" in PC gaming all over again basically to try and fuck with Valve.

Which would be fine if they tried to do so on a more legitimate level but instead they're turning a free and open platform into and even worst walled garden not unlike xbox live. Yes I'm sure many will claim this is technical and not intentional but I still think that if they wanted they could have addressed any potential technical limitations before they started pushing so hard for their store.

Source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/the_windows_10_store_version_of_call_of_duty_infinite_warfare_will_not_work_with_the_steam_version/1

UPDATE: It looks like Activision chose not to implement their own multiplayer code at all for a multiplayer based game and instead implemented Steamworks and Microsoft Store online API thingie to do the multiplayer, which is baffling and profoundly stupid even for Activision but still apparently what happened

http://www.windowscentral.com/call-duty-coming-windows-store-not-without-some-drawbacks

-------

Current Rig

-------

digging their own grave. FU Microsoft, go back to messing up consoles

Welp

Sounds to me like an Activision decision. Probably because the game has cross play feature, and Activition is to lazy to allow a proper implementation of the multi-player system.

XBox One users can't play with Steam users by default due to drastically different APIs (which is normal, there is no standards)... So I am thinking they focused on implementing cross play between PC and XBox One with the cross buy program (so that means that they get to use Microsoft XBox servers with its APIs), but didn't care about those outside... probably because Activision thinks that you are pirate and should not be able to play with non-pirate, even thought you bought your copy... or maybe they they just wanted to save some money, who knows what crap they are thinking. Thinking genuine users are criminal, is nothing knew for many big publishers. But regardless of this point, because maybe it has nothing to do... they are at least trying to maximize profits by not investing more time/money in developing cross play. All they need to do to sale their game is to check all boxes. They have. So they can call it a day. Their games won't sale any less if they are anti-consumers by screwing them over with having Steam and XBox on separate servers... if anything, they probably hope that they'll sale 2 copies for some people. XBox one users and PC, as before. So why spend the money in adding cross-multi-platform-play? Heck in a business sense, I think everyone here would do the same, and ignore the "greater good" (remember, that you have no competition, and you are already big and successful, and you are selling a product that sales like free hot cakes)

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sounds to me like an Activision decision. 

Sorry but coming from you that's close to meaningless, I'd like to see actual evidence to that otherwise I knew your speculative position in advance (Just as I'm sure you knew mine in advance as well to be fair to your side) 

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Sorry but coming from you that's close to meaningless, I'd like to see actual evidence to that otherwise I knew your speculative position in advance (Just as I'm sure you knew mine in advance as well to be fair to your side) 

Sorry but coming from you that's close to meaningless, I'd like to see actual evidence to that otherwise I knew your speculative position in advance

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry but coming from you that's close to meaningless, I'd like to see actual evidence to that otherwise I knew your speculative position in advance

You've called me an irrational Microsoft "hater" before (I'm paraphrasing and extrapolating of course) so that's actually not needed. You like to deny your Microsoft bias but you don't seem to deny you call anti-Microsoft bias from others, not before this cute attempt at being clever anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Next in the news, Microsoft will try to make PC gamers pay a monthly fee to play "online", not unlike the Xbox.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You've called me an irrational Microsoft "hater" before (I'm paraphrasing and extrapolating of course) so that's actually not needed. You like to deny your Microsoft bias but you don't seem to deny you call anti-Microsoft bias from others, not before this cute attempt at being clever anyway.

You've called me an irrational Microsoft "fanboy" before (I'm paraphrasing and extrapolating of course) so that's actually not needed. You like to blame your anti-Microsoft bias but you don't seem to accept you call Microsoft bias from others, not before this cute attempt at being clever anyway. Not to mention actually considering facts, reality and common sense, just to push your anti-Microsoft agenda, and calling "fanboys" anyone who disagrees with you, even backed up with facts.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You've called me an irrational Microsoft "fanboy" before (I'm paraphrasing and extrapolating of course) so that's actually not needed. You like to blame your anti-Microsoft bias but you don't seem to accept you call Microsoft bias from others, not before this cute attempt at being clever anyway. Not to mention actually considering facts, reality, and common sense, just to push your anti-Microsoft agenda.

I think you accidentally the whole post now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

...why...on...earth? This stuff just annoys the crap out of me. Let's face it guys... Valve started this whole digital distribution thing, and they nailed it. I'm geting sick and tired of all these competitors trying to come up with their own shitty alternative and walling it off (Origin...Ubi...now MS). As a customer I don't want all the clutter of having 5 different game platforms. You missed the boat guys...now suck it up. 

I don't understand why the hell they'd do this though. Might as well put a shotgun to your own foot and pull the trigger. What's the point in seggregating different pc players?

GUYS, lets slow our role here. Cross platform between console and PC has rarely been done. It's just starting to take effect. Now, it's easy to do cross platform on Microsoft OWN platform. It's harder to implement it as of now from different and competing platforms.

There is NO game that supports cross platform from steam to Windows store on PC. The Windows Store is also progressing and it was missing a ton of features for games for quite awhile now.

My suggestion is simply don't buy from the Microsoft store at the moment and complain in the Microsoft Feedback app. Why? Because they do actually listen. People complained about the low amount of settings and options and poor quality of the first AAA games in the Microsoft store and they heard and implemented many of the complaints.

Now, OF COURSE there will be exclusive stuff on every store on PC. It's what makes someone choose one place over another as well as other things.

Lets complain and hopefully Microsoft will try and change this.

The Xbox team even talk about their interest in putting games in the Steam Library. Hopefully we can all get on parity with this and Microsoft will be even further supportive of the gaming community. Phill Spencer and a lot of guys at Microsoft have been doing a really good job lately hearing fans and trying to do better. Give them more feedback so they know what to do better.

Having a PC game platform that's unable to connect to other PC game platforms - especially the most dominant one - isn't anywhere near my definition of 'trying to do better'. It's like having a penis that doesn't fit 95% of the vaginas...

I know MS has had their part of stupid ideas, but Activison ain't no saint. I would like to see an evidence who made the decision before jumping to conclusions.   

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Maybe Activision prefers Steam as well and thought this would be good way to kill the MicroShaft store? :D

12 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

Having a PC game platform that's unable to connect to other PC game platforms - especially the most dominant one - isn't anywhere near my definition of 'trying to do better'. It's like having a penis that doesn't fit 95% of the vaginas...

my penis is just too big. sorry ladies

why would they even release it on the windows store, maybe the playerbase doesnt die within a few weeks on pc?

Who and why decide such a thing. It would be very odd for MS to decide such really, they also said that future titles will also be available on Steam so it just may be Activision doing shit. 

Not to mention they decided not to do beta for PC which is really lame so this thing wouldn't surprise me comming from them. Of course there ere mouse issues on release, of course there is, called it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

33 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

...why...on...earth? This stuff just annoys the crap out of me. Let's face it guys... Valve started this whole digital distribution thing, and they nailed it. I'm geting sick and tired of all these competitors trying to come up with their own shitty alternative and walling it off (Origin...Ubi...now MS). As a customer I don't want all the clutter of having 5 different game platforms. You missed the boat guys...now suck it up. 

I don't understand why the hell they'd do this though. Might as well put a shotgun to your own foot and pull the trigger. What's the point in seggregating different pc players?

I am not inherently opposed to competition to Valve. For example, gog started with their own niche but managed to bring a compelling alternative to Steam.

Trying to differentiate or offer something unique like that it's acceptable. Trying to just inconvenience you into their store (Uplay) or hijack popular series and offer your platform as ransom (Origin, Windows Store) however goes from unfavorable to downright divisive. Specially now that Microsoft (Or Activision according to Goodbytes since they obviously designed windows store the platform with inherent flaws that make cross play difficult to implement) is literally turning PC into a console.

Fortunately they've overreached here and went ahead with this far too early before their store gained any kind of traction.

-------

Current Rig

-------

31 minutes ago, TheCMan said:

GUYS, lets slow our role here. Cross platform between console and PC has rarely been done.

PC and PC are not different platforms. We're not even talking about a different OS here since you can buy the Steam version on Windows 10 normally. Microsoft is making it a different platform (whenever it is intentional or not I leave that up for debate) You should immediately abandon this line of reasoning attempting to normalize this behavior before you find yourself paying 49.99 for an xbox live Windows Store Live subscription to access features that used to be free like online play.

-------

Current Rig

-------

27 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

PC and PC are not different platforms. We're not even talking about a different OS here since you can buy the Steam version on Windows 10 normally. Microsoft is making it a different platform (whenever it is intentional or not I leave that up for debate) You should immediately abandon this line of reasoning attempting to normalize this behavior before you find yourself paying 49.99 for an xbox live Windows Store Live subscription to access features that used to be free like online play.

Well, we can take a look at Rocket League's cross platform feature. If it was really Microsoft calling the shots, wouldn't Rocket League's cross platform have the same limitations too? We're also talking about a developer that really likes to reuse resources (or even reskin in my opinion) from their older games.

Also, Windows Store and Steam are different platforms. They're both on PC, but I'm pretty sure they use different APIs for networking/authentication features. I'd assume that there would have to be extra work in order for Steam to cross play with Window's platform. In my opinion, they would be the same platform only if they did the same shit that UPlay did (where buying on steam really only translates to buying it on the vendor's platform).

While I do say all this, I don't like the Window's store either for other reasons...

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

He doesn't have a bias towards Microsoft. He just doesn't immediately process anything MS does as stupid and considers other factors first. You on the other hand are clearly biased against Microsoft, shutting out his opinion and endorsing yours even though both of you have no proof of either being true.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

He doesn't have a bias towards Microsoft. He just doesn't immediately process anything MS does as stupid and considers other factors first. 

No, he goes out of his way to justify a lot of Microsoft's behavior and practices as "good" for the consumer. I am not interesting in derailing this thread any further though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Well, we can take a look at Rocket League's cross platform feature. If it was really Microsoft calling the shots, wouldn't Rocket League's cross platform have the same limitations too? We're also talking about a developer that really likes to reuse resources (or even reskin in my opinion) from their older games.

Also, Windows Store and Steam are different platforms. They're both on PC, but I'm pretty sure they use different APIs for networking/authentication features. I'd assume that there would have to be extra work in order for Steam to cross play with Window's platform. In my opinion, they would be the same platform only if they did the same shit that UPlay did (where buying on steam really only translates to buying it on the vendor's platform).

While I do say all this, I don't like the Window's store either for other reasons...

Again this argument and the link posted runs on the premise that there's nothing to doing cross platform with Windows 10 store games. Microsoft can state and officially allow it but if it's not transparent and devs have to jump a bunch of hoops (or even a few) then they can definitely say they support it while at the same time on a technical level disencouraging it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Just to add, from what I understand, the issue here is that Activision didn't create their own Multiplayer system, but used Steams for Steam, and Xbox/Windows for Windows Store version. So if it is anyones fault, it's Activision. You could also blame Steam for not letting games not sold on their platform, also use their multiplayer interface (or what you would call it), but would any company really do that?

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

8 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Youd be correct on that point. 

Lets take the most basic example we can. Screen names. MS gamer tags are cross platform, so having duplicates isnt an issue. 

But now what of a user on steam and a user on MS have the screen name? Thats something youd need to do code for and manage authtications as well. 

This isnt something hard to get around by any means, but its more work for Activision. 

In all likelihood the Win10 server is actually just the xbox server with some tweeks. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX