gpu problem or monitor

slash and burn

just got a used gpu frome my brother (r9 280) and some times my computer screen will freeze and go black and it will have like some pixels and my fans in the pc will go to full and i have gotten rid of all drivers and reinstall them 

and my psu is evga 500b 

does it look like this? or something close to it?

PqKmw.jpg

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

ok your GPU is dead

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

1 minute ago, xephoneration said:

ok your GPU is dead

but it still works sometimes

2 minutes ago, slash and burn said:

but it still works sometimes

ok its dying. the point is when you get something like that its called artifacting, where either its from overheating, higher clock ect... But this has been a problem off and on and usually re-installing drives fixes overheating and higherclock speeds since MOST of the time it returns the gpu to its "factory" clock. This is not the case, your gpu is dying/dead. 

Clean the connectors on your GPU with 90% iphoprophal alcohol and than put it back. also, take off your cpu heat sink, and clean off all the thermal paste with 90% iphoprophal alcohol than reapply thermal paste and the cpu heat sink.  

1 minute ago, xephoneration said:

ok its dying. the point is when you get something like that its called artifacting, where either its from overheating, higher clock ect... But this has been a problem off and on and usually re-installing drives fixes overheating and higherclock speeds since MOST of the time it returns the gpu to its "factory" clock. This is not the case, your gpu is dying/dead. 

ok thank you 

1 minute ago, doomsriker said:

Clean the connectors on your GPU with 90% iphoprophal alcohol and than put it back. also, take off your cpu heat sink, and clean off all the thermal paste with 90% iphoprophal alcohol than reapply thermal paste and the cpu heat sink.  

if he is getting a picture like that it wont work since it is a physical hardware issue, like something with the VRAM went bad, a bad resistor, de-soldering, ect.. 

2 minutes ago, xephoneration said:

if he is getting a picture like that it wont work since it is a physical hardware issue, like something with the VRAM went bad, a bad resistor, de-soldering, ect.. 

Dirty connectors on the graphics card can cause issues, and so can thermal paste problems. Its  worth a shot. Also, reapplying thermal paste on the GPU can help. 

This card was brought back from the dead by a simple re- application of thermal paste. 

8 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

This card was brought back from the dead by a simple re- application of thermal paste. 

ok i will try it

and so did this!

yeah you can try to re apply thermal paste, and put it in the oven, in hopes one of these methods works. THEY DONT WORK 100% of the time. its really getting lucky. dirty connectors on gpu is a rare instance if you do not, and I mean do not keep it clean of dust. sure op give it a shot may or may not work but if you are getting artifacts like that it is issues with the VRAM and the VRAM is going bad. 

2 minutes ago, xephoneration said:

and so did this!

yeah you can try to re apply thermal paste, and put it in the oven, in hopes one of these methods works. THEY DONT WORK 100% of the time. its really getting lucky. dirty connectors on gpu is a rare instance if you do not, and I mean do not keep it clean of dust. sure op give it a shot may or may not work but if you are getting artifacts like that it is issues with the VRAM and the VRAM is going bad. 

thanks for both of your help

13 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

3 minutes ago, xephoneration said:

and so did this!

ok thank you both of you