YouTube Red is struggling to get subscribers.

goodtofufriday

Only reason I have YouTube Red is because it's included with my Google Play Music All Access sub.

Hopefully they don't make normal YouTube crap just to get subs on YouTube red

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The problem is, nowadays we have many many ways to get our money to people we support. So even from that perspective, or especially from that perspective. there aren't many incentives to go with the middle man. It's like Spotify (don't know how the quantities compare, though): the idea that, by subscribing, you are "buying the music instead of free-riding" sounds like a bad joke when you look at the money's breakdown. I can't say I'd feel I support my favorite artists better if I subscribed. Buying their albums directly from their websites, or even crowd-funding the recording, on the other hand...

Still, I think ~1.5 million is not little given that, as they said above, it amounts to paying for what you can get free minus the ads. On the other hand, other services with a similar proposal achieve a larger costumer base... world-wide, at least.

the problem is that my favourite youtubers don't do patrion or any of that stuff, possibly a merch store but i will only buy it if i actually want it which is not very often. i do donate to twitch streams like once a year or something like that but again i don't really like that format so why should i support that? i really like the end user experience that youtube is. i don't agree with some of their business politics, but they are currently the only platform that has the end user experience that i want. 

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Then better doing it through patreon 

lots of youtubers i support dont want to use patreon. and i don't like patreon either, i don't want to have to manage 20 different money streams. youtube red all does that crap automatically, it automatically registers who you watch and gives them (a bad) cut. youtube red is the only unified platform that supports all the youtubers i want to support. i don't have 2 or 3 youtubers i watch daily, i literally have 15 or something like that.

5 minutes ago, tlink said:

lots of youtubers i support dont want to use patreon. and i don't like patreon either, i don't want to have to manage 20 different money streams. youtube red all does that crap automatically, it automatically registers who you watch and gives them (a bad) cut. youtube red is the only unified platform that supports all the youtubers i want to support. i don't have 2 or 3 youtubers i watch daily, i literally have 15 or something like that.

Yeah it's all automatic, just like any jackass that decides he dislikes you can submit 4 DMCA strikes and youtube will probably delete your channel, automatically.

Patreon not being perfect doesn't means that we should be giving youtube any fucking money at all. For youtubers that don't feel like doing Patreon even playing some games on the background and moving to Twitch is an alternative they have to consider at this point given how unreliable and anti-content creator youtube truly is nowadays.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Yeah it's all automatic, just like any jackass that decides he dislikes you can submit 4 DMCA strikes and youtube will probably delete your channel, all automatically.

Patreon not being perfect doesn't means that we should be giving youtube any fucking money at all. For youtubers that don't feel like doing Patreon even playing some games on the background and moving to Twitch is an alternative they have to consider at this point given how unreliable and anti-content creator youtube truly is nowadays.

most of the youtubers i follow run into zero problems with youtube, if they want to they can switch but there just isn't a need to for now. why would they adapt their entire busines to a platform that is stable for them now? they won't lose anything once it becomes unstable because they still have the content to upload somewhere else. your argument is pretty weak, i can also say just because youtube isn't perfect doesn't mean that we should be giving patreon any money at all. again the problems youtube is experiencing is something you can expect with a massive video sharing site like this, its the only concept that has ever been tested on this scale as far as i know. unless there are other platforms that are really similar and this large that are less fucking people over than im not going to switch, and neither is 95% of the youtube userbase now. sure people who follow fucking gradeAunderA and h3h3 and similar youtubers will, because most of their important youtubers left the platform, but as long as the majority stays there im giving youtube my money.

Guess it's hard to get users to start paying for something which they have been getting for free all along. 

Just now, tlink said:

most of the youtubers i follow run into zero problems with youtube, if they want to they can switch but there just isn't a need to for now. why would they adapt their entire busines to a platform that is stable for them now? they won't lose anything once it becomes unstable because they still have the content to upload somewhere else. your argument is pretty weak, i can also say just because youtube isn't perfect doesn't mean that we should be giving patreon any money at all. again the problems youtube is experiencing is something you can expect with a massive video sharing site like this, its the only concept that has ever been tested on this scale as far as i know. unless there are other platforms that are really similar and this large that are less fucking people over than im not going to switch, and neither is 95% of the youtube userbase now. sure people who follow fucking gradeAunderA and h3h3 and similar youtubers will, because most of their important youtubers left the platform, but as long as the majority stays there im giving youtube my money.

1) Most of the youtubers you follow in a platform with millions of channels = Anecdotal Evidence.

2) So you're bringing up business? On a news item that shows that they're struggling and on a platform we know loses money and at best has only managed to break even? It's only alive because Google doesn't wants to leave a VoD vacuum for a competitor to take advantage. They might loose cash on youtube but strategically they retain control and keep it away from competitors and for them that's more valuable than straight up cash, which they have anyway from other revenue sources.

3) Restating my argument is not a refutation: In fact the only thing that resembles and actual response is that youtube is very massive and therefore we should just allow them to get away with anything cause there's no alternative. On the other hand the people who actually make the content you watch get fucked over and you're saying "You should go away (because of the statistically insignificant portion of content creators I follow are ok therefore all of them are probably ok)"

Giving youtube your money just because they're the dominant platform will asure that the content that remains will be extremely shitty and make the entire fucking thing implode anyway. You might as well stay watching Cable TV if that's how you feel: Don't care their content is utter fucking shit, it's the most popular so I'll continue to pay Comcast to watch shows about people baking cakes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If they make it available in Sweden, I would buy a subscription immediately.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

1) Most of the youtubers you follow in a platform with millions of channels = Anecdotal Evidence.

ofcourse its anecdotal evidence, im not arguing that everyone should support youtube red, im arguing why i would support youtube red. my situation is always going to be anecdotal, thats the point, otherwise it isn't that relevant to me.

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

2) So you're bringing up business? On a news item that shows that they're struggling and on a platform we know loses money and at best has only managed to break even? It's only alive because Google doesn't wants to leave a VoD vacuum for a competitor to take advantage. They might loose cash on youtube but strategically they retain control and keep it away from competitors and for them that's more valuable than straight up cash, which they have anyway from other revenue sources.

this is only an argument for me to support it, their practices are shit because they can't break even. if they don't improve drastically over youtube red everyone probably will leave anyways so its a winwin for me.

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

3) Restating my argument is not a refutation: In fact the only thing that resembles and actual response is that youtube is very massive and therefore we should just allow them to get away with anything cause there's no alternative. On the other hand the people who actually make the content you watch get fucked over and you're saying "You should go away (because of the statistically insignificant portion of content creators I follow are ok therefore all of them are probably ok)"

i restated your argument because you used it to dismiss my argument that im not going to work the books in my free time so i can support my favourite youtubers, im going to look for a unified platform, patreon isn't that. the people i watch are not getting fucked over, i already stated that so no thats not a good argument for me. im not saying others should follow my lead, im saying that people should assess their own situation.

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Giving youtube your money just because they're the dominant platform will asure that the content that remains will be extremely shitty and make the entire fucking thing implode anyway. You might as well stay watching Cable TV if that's how you feel: Don't care their content is utter fucking shit, it's the most popular so I'll continue to pay Comcast to watch shows about people baking cakes.

im not giving youtube my money because they are the best solution. the content i watch on youtube isn't shit, and the platform isn't fucking them over. there is no reason for me to switch.

11 minutes ago, tlink said:

im not going to work the books in my free time so i can support my favourite youtubers, im going to look for a unified platform, patreon isn't that.

I think you're overstating how complicated Patreon actually is: you open your account, set up your recurring donation level to the content creators you like best and up to the limit you're comfortable with and that's it. I think you could not watch 1 or 2 10 minute videos to set that up.

But even if that's too much there's another thing you're assuming here: you're assuming you have to support all of the content creators you subscribe to or even most of them. Patreon is direct revenue that even if it's as low as 2 or 3 bucks per month translates to a lot more than what the adsense revenue is for most youtubers anyways. So actually only supporting a handful at most through Patreon it's completely fine. 

At the end of the day I am not going to deny that only the strong should survive and that there's many that will be gone if they could only rely on Patreon, but that's ok: there's far too many crap channels and people that have been jumping on the bandwagon just because it's easy and they contribute nothing in the grand scheme of things and won't be missed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I think you're overstating how complicated Patreon actually is: you open your account, set up your recurring donation level to the content creators you like best and up to the limit you're comfortable with and that's it. I think you could not watch 1 or 2 10 minute videos to set that up.

But even if that's too much there's another thing you're assuming here: you're assuming you have to support all of the content creators you subscribe to or even most of them. Patreon is direct revenue that even if it's as low as 2 or 3 bucks per month translates to a lot more than what the adsense revenue is for most youtubers anyways. So actually only supporting a handful at most through Patreon it's completely fine. 

At the end of the day I am not going to deny that only the strong should survive and that there's many that will be gone if they could only rely on Patreon, but that's ok: there's far too many crap channels and people that have been jumping on the bandwagon just because it's easy and they contribute nothing in the grand scheme of things and won't be missed.

but i don't want to support just a handfull. i want to literally support over 8 people. im not overstating how complicated patreon is, i simply don't want to work the books, which is what patreon is, managing expenses. if i get bored with a channel and don't notice i don't want to have to manual adjust shit to that. youtube red would do this all automatically for me and it blocks ads. you can say just use adblock but that literally is the same as pirating a game and donating some money directly to the developer.

Just now, tlink said:

but i don't want to support just a handfull. i want to literally support over 8 people. im not overstating how complicated patreon is, i simply don't want to work the books, which is what patreon is, managing expenses.

Yes you're overstating it, I disagree and see you won't change your opinion on this there's nothing else to discuss, carry on.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Yes you're overstating it, I disagree and see you won't change your opinion on this there's nothing else to discuss, carry on.

if you think that adjusting sliders for amounts and adjusting who gets what is not managing expenses than feel free to tell me, what is managing expenses?

how is patreon not handling different pay outs of money?

Full Definition of manage managed managing transitive verb

1 : to handle or direct with a degree of skill: as a : to make and keep compliant <can't manage their child> b : to treat with care : husband <managed his resources carefully> c : to exercise executive, administrative, and supervisory direction of <manage a business>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/manage

Full Definition of expense

1 archaic :  the act or an instance of expending :  expenditure

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/expenses

Full Definition of expenditure

1 : the act or process of expending <an expenditure of energy>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/expenditure

Full Definition of expend transitive verb

1 : to pay out : spend <the social services upon which public revenue is expended — J. A. Hobson>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/expending

Full Definition of spend spent play \ˈspent\ spending transitive verb

1 : to use up or pay out : expend

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spend

It can fucking die off really. Useless qnd asks subscription, funny. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I miss vessel :(

Does LTT Plan on replacing vessel with something else? I'd be onboard with Vimeo if they went there

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I personally don't see a value in YT Red as the only part of it that truly would be nice to me is the ability to play videos in the background with my screen locked.  

That being said i kind of want YT red to die and not be successful.  This is mainly because i recall Hulu promising it would never charge for content.  Then it offered people the ability to pay to avoid ads.  Now you pay to get the ads, but for content that non-payers can't watch; which is most of what is on Hulu. 

16 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

You must use it to not get advertisements on YouTube unless you don't watch YouTube 

Or, unless you use adblock.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Has anyone in here honestly paid for Youtube Red subscription services and enjoyed doing so, not feeling that regular Youtube and Twitch not only did a better job, but for free?

Groomlake Authority

I don't think Google or Youtube should be surprised. It's been US only the entire time, cutting off prospective subscribers and most of the content on it isn't worth paying for. There are a few good bits on there, but not enough to go consistent with a subscription.

Hell look at the stuff LMG puts out. Linus' cringe-worthy humor aside a lot of that is content that many people were voluntarily paying for.   Is that forum support badge still a thing as well? There were/are people doing that.

What people often think of when they think of YTR (if they know what it is at all) is Pewdiepie in a hospital screaming.   Which is often perceived as; Rich guy has decommissioned hospital rented out for him so he can live out a video game in real life. I hear he's a lovely guy, but what... Just what.  

Youtube was originally a video blogging website. Google stripped a lot of that functionality out in favor of more commercialized content when commercialized content was doing just fine. It shows that they've been heavily disconnected from reality for a long time and most of the talks they have during creator conventions drives that point home.  It's not "Oh youtube has this great new feature" it's "Oh shit, youtube messed something up again and we have to adapt to it until they flip flop for the 8th time.

Did YouTube really expect me to pay money to watch community made videos -_-? Regardless if they are AD free or not.

This is a perfect example of how big corporations management is out of touch with their customers.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

I miss vessel :(

Does LTT Plan on replacing vessel with something else? I'd be onboard with Vimeo if they went there

It's not exactly the same thing, but they're currently looking into possible ways to expand this. You're able to download DRM free videos in up to 720p to watch at your leisure. They want to add video streaming and 1080p quality, but since this is entirely done through the forum site, it's not really setup with the necessary infrastructure for that yet.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

It's not exactly the same thing, but they're currently looking into possible ways to expand this. You're able to download DRM free videos in up to 720p to watch at your leisure. They want to add video streaming and 1080p quality, but since this is entirely done through the forum site, it's not really setup with the necessary infrastructure for that yet.

Interesting... Tough my internet connection sucks for downloads. I'll wait for when the video stream player becomes available. 

Much better that, even if it's just a single channel, than paying youtube

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Still waiting for it to come to sweden.. 

Don't mind paying $10 a month for no ads and a music service. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"