A GTX 1060 3GB or a GTX 1050 ti 4GB

Sadiq

I am building my first gaming pc and was considering the gtx 1060 3gb till I read somewhere that upcoming games will require at leasr 4gb V-RAM, I'm not sure how credible he is, but he confused me about the gpu option.

Whitch one will I be better off with?

for me i would go for the 1060 3 gb

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

i would not get 3Gb of ram for gaming

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

if you don't mind saving some extra money i would suggest to just buy a GTX 1060 but if you don't want to you should look into some stuff from AMD

Just now, Minibeau said:

if you don't mind saving some extra money i would suggest to just buy a GTX 1060 but if you don't want to you should look into some stuff from AMD

1060 6GB*

Gtx 1050Ti, in my  opinion the 3Gb variant of the 1060 isn't worth the moeny at all, and price /performance the 1050Ti is way better without lacking in so many ways that would make an extreme differnce in 1080p.

I would allocate my money maybe on a better MB or CPU , maybe get a little extra RAM, but you can also opt for the RX 470 who is the direct competetion for the 1050Ti.

Personally I would choose the GTX 1060. There's a big performance difference from the 1050 ti to the 1060. The 1060 is around 60% faster than the 1050 ti.(at least from my source)  The issue with VRAM may occur in the future. Many older cards have no problem with VRAM even though they only have 2 GB of it. VRAM won't give you any performance decrease until you run out of it and your FPS falls faster than a stone in water. If you want something in the middle you may want a RX470. The 1050 ti is only like 20% faster than the GTX950. 

What games are you playing? Some games need more VRAM than others. Especially if you like texture modding.

Currently developing games for the visually impaired/blind. Love computers and cute things. Am I cute?  

Ryzen 3700X, ASROCK pro4, 32 GB Corsair venguence rgb 3200, Radeon 580

4 hours ago, Zyfiel said:

Personally I would choose the GTX 1060. There's a big performance difference from the 1050 ti to the 1060. The 1060 is around 60% faster than the 1050 ti.(at least from my source)  The issue with VRAM may occur in the future. Many older cards have no problem with VRAM even though they only have 2 GB of it. VRAM won't give you any performance decrease until you run out of it and your FPS falls faster than a stone in water. If you want something in the middle you may want a RX470. The 1050 ti is only like 20% faster than the GTX950. 

What games are you playing? Some games need more VRAM than others. Especially if you like texture modding.

I will be playing shooter games such as Battlefield 1 and call of duty, but if I bought the 1060 3GB, will the 3 GB ram be a problem if games required minimum of 4GB of ram, even if not playing with maximum settings. Also I will be using an ultrawide 1080p  monitor if that is a factor.

13 hours ago, Sadiq said:

I will be playing shooter games such as Battlefield 1 and call of duty, but if I bought the 1060 3GB, will the 3 GB ram be a problem if games required minimum of 4GB of ram, even if not playing with maximum settings. Also I will be using an ultrawide 1080p  monitor if that is a factor.

you should look into the 1060 6GB version. it costs 50 bucks more and is much better

so here is the thing. im playing 1440p with a 3GB card (gtx 780TI) i had apsolutally no problem getting everything ult on 1080p untill i got my 1440p. i would say for 1080p 3GB is still enough. however its impossible to estimate for how long it will be enough! vRAM is NEVER a bottleneck until you run out! than the performance gets terrible. in the end it's your desision. remember graphic settings do not take alot of vram except for resolution and anti-aliassing/super sampling, so if you run into a problem you can always put those settings down a bit

but if i where you i would go for the 1050ti and just put setting to high instead of ultra on the verry demanding titles. if you actually play the game you rarally notice the differance

2 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

so here is the thing. im playing 1440p with a 3GB card (gtx 780TI) i had apsolutally no problem getting everything ult on 1080p untill i got my 1440p. i would say for 1080p 3GB is still enough. however its impossible to estimate for how long it will be enough! vRAM is NEVER a bottleneck until you run out! than the performance gets terrible. in the end it's your desision. remember graphic settings do not take alot of vram except for resolution and anti-aliassing/super sampling, so if you run into a problem you can always put those settings down a bit

i have a GTX 980 4GB GAMING from msi and i do run out of vram in the newer titles on 1080p.

1 minute ago, Minibeau said:

i have a GTX 980 4GB GAMING from msi and i do run out of vram in the newer titles on 1080p.

serieusly? how do you massure that? what are your AA settings? do you have res scaling without you knowing it?

7 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

serieusly? how do you massure that? what are your AA settings? do you have res scaling without you knowing it?

AA is on TXAA 4x and no upscalling. i measure it with msi afterburner.

6 minutes ago, Minibeau said:

AA is on TXAA 4x and no upscalling. i measure it with msi afterburner.

oh wow! what game? i play BO3 on ult with TXAA2x and i get 60 fps no ram issue on 3GB

3 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

oh wow! what game? i play BO3 on ult with TXAA2x and i get 60 fps no ram issue on 3GB

witcher 3( which is logical because i've turned everything on highest settings), far cry 4 and primal and a few other titles. the new doom is working fine without any issues with the nightmare settings which you need 5GB of vram for to run, but i put in a code in the launch options of steam so i can put it on the highest settings and it doesn't run out. maybe far cry 4 and primal are not as optimised or something.

What if I take the Zotac GTX 1060 mini 6GB, and use the LG 25UM58-P monitor, a 2560x1080p 5ms monitor, and with ultra settings, will experience any bottleneck?

1 minute ago, Sadiq said:

What if I take the Zotac GTX 1060 mini 6GB, and use the LG 25UM58-P monitor, a 2560x1080p 5ms monitor, and with ultra settings, will experience any bottleneck?

if you have an 1151 socket with I5 or I7 probably not