New macbook Pro USB C kills WiFi

Paragon_X

So Louis Rossman got his hands on a new Macbook, 

When he tries to use Wifi while using a high bandwidth USB C port the WiFi completely dies or if it is just a normal one it goes slow as hell. My guess for this is that the PCIe lanes are getting full and the WiFi which probably is a soldered M.2 chip doesn't have enough lanes to work properly you can see the video below.

This is ridiculous to be honest they elevated the priced in Europe by 200  euro that means the base Macbook pro costs 1889 Euro (without counting the countless dongles that someone will require) which is the same as the razer blade 14. Even with all the considered goods of the ecosystem i cannot see how this joke of a machine can stand up to the competition at this pricepoint. Only those who have invested in apple ecosystem and proprietary software might benefit.

LIST OF THINGS THAT DO NOT WORK:
- Powering an external HDD
- Wifi dying or getting slow while using USB C
- Display output from USB C to HDMI Flickering

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

might be an isolated case, might not. we will see.

apple is known to not have the best functioning wifi chips anyway, so nothing new here.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

i got to question Tim Cook. No update to the rest of the apple line. no 4k apple tv. no retina on the MacBook air. 

now this. I dont think they've even updated the super expensive trash can model

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

i got to question Tim Cook. No update to the rest of the apple line. no 4k apple tv. no retina on the MacBook air. 

now this. I dont think they've even updated the super expensive trash can model

They did not. just software update on Apple TV

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

And to fix this, in true Apple fashion, we need an extortionately priced adapter/dongle.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

holy shit, they fucked up so badly with the new macbooks.

Phill Schiller I think you are your team needs to go back to school

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Are they issuing a recall too? Too soon. It's probably an isolated case. He can just return it to an Apple Store and have it replaced.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

This is the future they chose.

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Are they issuing a recall too? Too soon. It's probably an isolated case. He can just return it to an Apple Store and have it replaced.

each usb/thunderbolt port uses 4 lanes, the NVMe uses 4 lanes and the wifi is 2 lanes I think. I don't think that their CPUs have 22-24 lanes, so it would have to disable something.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I'd be shocked if this wasn't an isolated event. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Apples obsession of trying to make their devices as thin/light as possible is now starting to catch up on them. All they needed to do is to make it 1-2mm thicker and they could of used regular usb/hdmi ports rather then usb-c all round.

7 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

Apples obsession of trying to make their devices as thin/light as possible is now starting to catch up on them. All they needed to do is to make it 1-2mm thicker and they could of used regular usb/hdmi ports rather then usb-c all round.

The problem here is that the MBP 2016 runs out of PCI-E lanes since Thunderbolt3 uses many PCI-E lanes and PCI-E Wi-Fi card and PCI-E SSD..........

8 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

And to fix this, in true Apple fashion, we need an extortionately priced adapter/dongle.

this is a physical issue with the Pro itself and no amount of dongles can fix this.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The problem here is that the MBP 2016 runs out of PCI-E lanes since Thunderbolt3 uses many PCI-E lanes and PCI-E Wi-Fi card and PCI-E SSD..........

16 pcie used by the usb-c, 2 from the wifi card, and 4 from the SSD. That's 22, aren't consumer processors only supposed to have 16 lanes??
EDIT: and some more pcie lanes used by the graphics card as well (in the 15 inch model) :o 

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

I'm not going to crucify Apple for this before we get more reports. It might just be an isolated issue. I would not be surprised though.

The Macbook Pro is a joke as a "pro" machine even if it didn't have these issues. The only professionals it's designed for are Apple "journalists" that spends their days writing about how awesome Apple is.

Edit: He did make one fatal error in this video though. He does not use first party adapters. I am sure Apple fanboys will call him out on that and claim everything is invalid because of it. There might be some validity to that, but it might not (and he even says he will give it the benefit of a doubt).

1 hour ago, rattacko123 said:

16 pcie used by the usb-c, 2 from the wifi card, and 4 from the SSD. That's 22, aren't consumer processors only supposed to have 16 lanes??
EDIT: and some more pcie lanes used by the graphics card as well (in the 15 inch model) :o 

16 lanes for the 15" dGPU as well :(

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

or 8

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I'm not going to crucify Apple for this before we get more reports. It might just be an isolated issue. I would not be surprised though.

The Macbook Pro is a joke as a "pro" machine even if it didn't have these issues. The only professionals it's designed for are Apple "journalists" that spends their days writing about how awesome Apple is.

Edit: He did make one fatal error in this video though. He does not use first party adapters. I am sure Apple fanboys will call him out on that and claim everything is invalid because of it. There might be some validity to that, but it might not (and he even says he will give it the benefit of a doubt).

but aren't those all standardized ports? why have standardized ports if your adapters are not standardized?

my guess it's the lack of power delivered to the type C

when he plugs in the HDD into the minihub adapter thingy it starts clicking - sign it lacks power

---

can anyone find out what chipset (PCH) they used ? 

I don't think they used the Z170; so it leaves the H170 (16 lanes), H110 (6 lanes !!!!!), Q170 (20 lanes), Q150 (10 lanes) and B150 (8 lanes)

Edited by zMeul

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

But of course a computer repair man has to go out of his way to fault a manufacturer. How else is he going to rake in the business? 

The repair shops in my area would gladly take in computers with well known issues and charge customers even if nothing could be done.

Loius this anti-Apple scumbag would rather inform people to save them the trouble. Yes Apple go ahead and sue him. 

Did you even watch the video? Its on live cam they have 2015 model Macbook and an XPS which none exhibits the same problems. Its not that guys fault that the new Macbook has a faulty design or software bugs.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

But of course a computer repair man has to go out of his way to fault a manufacturer. How else is he going to rake in the business? 

The repair shops in my area would gladly take in computers with well known issues and charge customers even if nothing could be done.

Loius this anti-Apple scumbag would rather inform people to save them the trouble. Yes Apple go ahead and sue him. 

so you don't like that a person shows a problem with a product? You sir have a very weird attitude to this. 

If you think that it is okay for a company to sue a person because they find a flaw in the product, then you have a fucked up way of thinking.

He does not go out of his way at all. he tests a laptop and he sees that there is a problem with you use a USB port, how often do you use a USB port while surfing on the web or using some form of net.

2 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

51 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ok....Apple actually went more than a little bit retarded when designing the 2016 Macbook Pro.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

There's probably some auxiliary lanes provided by the motherboard, but who knows considering Apple doesn't reveal their true specs.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -