Russia is looking towards abandoning Microsoft

Russia has recently released statements that raise concern on large US companies operating within Russia

The spite of attacks are mainly geared towards tech giants such as Microsoft 

Putin along with other high ranking officials believe that the companies are collaborating with US spies 

Interestingly, besides ditching Microsoft Office, Russia is planning to get rid of popular mobile OS Android made by Google, and the Kremlin is also ditching Apple’s iOS. Russia has already commissioned a Linux-based variant that essentially sits on top of Sailfish, a popular mobile OS designed for smartphones developed by the Finnish company, Jolla, which was founded by former Nokia engineers.

Russia is looking towards creating their own software, this not only ensures that they have full control but also makes them have the capability to monitor the users

The country is known for snooping on citizens and blocking content that is seen as propaganda or against national interest 

Microsoft issued a statement defending their company and its intentions 

Making the company’s intentions clear, Dominic Carr, Microsoft’s general manager for public affairs said, “We don’t spy on anyone. We don’t work with any government to spy on others, and we never would. We make sure governments can review our software to confirm for themselves that our products are secure, and we’ve worked hard to increase privacy protections for customers including by suing the US government four times.”

I personally think that companies like Microsoft do have intentions that aren't popular, but Russia doesn't seem to have any good intentions either

As Engadget pointed out, Russia's efforts seem to point towards government control on the software their citizens use

Sources: http://www.inquisitr.com/3669773/delete-microsoft-office-applications-russian-government-offices-vladimir-putin-uninstall-microsoft-software-block-web-mobile-platforms/

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/02/russia-to-drop-microsoft-software

Well I can understand why Russia would be doing this when it came to government employee phones and computers however, I think this is total government overreach when it comes to controlling what hardware/software your citizens are permitted to use. That is complete bullshit and Putin should not be able to get away with this. How can Russia's citizens not realize how bad of an idea this is?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I'm thinking of doing the same

Doing the same, what, exactly?

Well they aren't going to be able to stop people from using whatever software they want, or even be able to monitor the internet properly unless the cutoff lines that go outside Russia, and even then satelites are a thing, as for the government switching that would likely be the most secure option

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Well I can understand why Russia would be doing this when it came to government employee phones and computers however, I think this is total government overreach when it comes to controlling what hardware/software your citizens are permitted to use. That is complete bullshit and Putin should not be able to get away with this. How can Russia's citizens not realize how bad of an idea this is?

On the bright side, this means World of Tanks is coming to Linux!  :P

But Russia is not America, I suspect that they are fine with it, probably eat up propaganda about US Spyware Microsoft, Apple.  stuff like that.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

2 minutes ago, Weak1ings said:

But Russia is not America, I suspect that they are fine with it, probably eat up propaganda about US Spyware Microsoft, Apple.  stuff like that.

Well tbh I believe that the US has software spying programs for the windows line of OSs, though I still wouldn't let any government tell me I can't buy computer parts or software

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

More hints towards WWIII?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Abandoning microsoft

Ah well, I use it for gaming. Everything else is done on Linux (personally).

2 minutes ago, Weak1ings said:

On the bright side, this means World of Tanks is coming to Linux!  :P

Haha, probably true. The amount of Russians that play that game is unbelievable.

Yeah, I did not think about that.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Well tbh I believe that the US has software spying programs for the windows line of OSs, though I still wouldn't let any government tell me I can't buy computer parts or software

I wouldn't doubt that for a second. I am sure the US has some kind of information gathering program for Windows. Yes, exactly as you have said, no way on Earth would I let the US government say what tech I can or cannot buy (when it comes to censorship or the internet).

1 minute ago, Kosios said:

That's why I love America.  Freedom.  I HATE HATE HAAATE censorship.

Amen!

Hmm. I also noticed that there's a lot of Russian support for ReactOS, a free open source OS that's centered around reverse engineering Windows.

23 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

There is no mention of Russia prohibiting Microsoft products for Russian citizens. This is only concerning what is used by the government.

Also, the Engadget reporting is a bit ridiculous / hysterical / in denial (I guess it would be called propaganda, if it were produced by non Western nations):

A senior US intelligence official talking to NBC News not only supports talk of Russia endorsing a plan to purge Microsoft software from the government (starting with Moscow), but explains why. Reportedly, Vladimir Putin and crew are picking on Microsoft because it's an easy target for anti-American sentiment. It's a huge company that rules the tech sector, and it's not hard to persuade Russians that the firm is collaborating with US spies despite evidence to the contrary.

9_9. And Al Queda attacked the USA because they hated its freedoms.

I'm amazed there are actually people who stuff like that and automatically believe it. A lot of what works as propaganda is actually just stupidity.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

This reminds me of the other country in the world that only uses their own proprietary OS......

For anyone who doesn't know this country, it starts with a North and ends with a Korea.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Aaaaand so begins the resurfacing of the old USSR. Soviets unite! :P

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

This reminds me of the other country in the world that only uses their own proprietary OS......

For anyone who doesn't know this country, it starts with a North and ends with a Korea.

Hmm... This is a tough one. Give me a minute. Oh wait, North Korea practically doesn't even have internet (nevertheless power). It makes my stomach upset every time I think about those poor brainwashed citizens ruled by that piece of garbage. Fortunately Russia is still better then them.

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

There is no mention of Russia prohibiting Microsoft products for Russian citizens. This is only concerning what is used by the government.

Oh, well OP made is sound like the government was deciding what software and hardware it's citizens would use.

5 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Oh, well OP made is sound like the government was deciding what software and hardware it's citizens would use.

Putin did mention it, but he stated later on that he was only urging local companies to use local products instead of US ones

It sort of started during the Crimea annexation 2 years ago

Putin is urging state entities and local companies to go domestic amid concerns over security and reliability after U.S. firms shut down paid services in Crimea following Russia’s 2014 annexation.

This is nothing new. This has been going on for years.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, DatSpeed said:

Putin did mention it, but he stated later on that he was only urging local companies to use local products instead of Microsoft 

Oh, okay see I didn't read that. Thanks for letting me know. Still, knowing how "persuasive" Putin is known to be... I would not be all that surprised if there is a noticeable decline of the use of Microsoft products in Russia.

Just now, dizmo said:

This is nothing new. This has been going on for years.

Sources?

4 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Sources?

I'm not going to bother going to look for them but they started moving away from Microsoft well over a year ago.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

27 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Abandoning microsoft

Yeah, Linux and other OS options are seeming better everyday.

37 minutes ago, DatSpeed said:

Russia has recently released statements that raise concern on large US companies operating within Russia

The spite of attacks are mainly geared towards tech giants such as Microsoft 

Putin along with other high ranking officials believe that the companies are collaborating with US spies 

Russia is looking towards creating their own software, this not only ensures that they have full control but also makes them have the capability to monitor the users

The country is known for snooping on citizens and blocking content that is seen as propaganda or against national interest 

Microsoft issued a statement defending their company and its intentions 

I personally think that companies like Microsoft do have intentions that aren't popular, but Russia doesn't seem to have any good intentions either

As Engadget pointed out, Russia's efforts seem to point towards government control on the software their citizens use

Sources: http://www.inquisitr.com/3669773/delete-microsoft-office-applications-russian-government-offices-vladimir-putin-uninstall-microsoft-software-block-web-mobile-platforms/

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/02/russia-to-drop-microsoft-software

This is just seems like another government looking to get more control over the internet. 

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm not going to bother going to look for them but they started moving away from Microsoft well over a year ago.

I have been looking, I cannot find any sites reporting something similar to what you are saying that was published in late 2015 early 2016.