Steelseries Rival

Kharem

I dunno how long ago they put this out but I only noticed it this morning and really like the look of it.

http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-rival

If you haven't seen it.

Optical sensor, similar shape to the sensei but right handed and a fraction bigger, better grips on the side and looks fantastic. The nameplate doesn't really interest me but if you have a 3d printer I guess its a cool addition. I've been looking out for a new mouse for a while and I'll probably pick up one of these if I can have a look and fiddle with one once they get into shops, or once some reviews come out. Shipping out around November 8 for preorders.

When they make a laser version I'll upgrade from the Sensei RAW Rubberized.

Ya I'm kind of taking the optical sensor as a positive, it goes up to 6500 anyway. My sesnei has sat at 1600ish for the entire time I've had it.

Yeah, the optical sensor is the only reason I'm interested in this mouse. It promises to be flawless, but I'll wait until someone who knows how mice work does a review (instead of those usual "pretty box nice paint job 10/10" reviews on most sites). It has Avago ADNS-3310 sensor, which I think is not used anywhere else, yet.

I was wondering is the sensor was jused anywhere else seens kinda similiar to the ine in the deathadder.

holy sh*t is it actually 145mm long as it says n the site? this means....that i can...finally...PALM A MOUSE? yeeees

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

holy sh*t is it actually 145mm long as it says n the site? this means....that i can...finally...PALM A MOUSE? yeeees

If thats true damn cause that about a whole centimeter longer than any of my current mice.

I like the size and shape, but I'm really skeptical of their implementation of the optical sensor. I'm also waiting for proper reviews that test out the accuracy at various cpi settings. If it really does not have any acceleration or prediction, then this is fantastic since it's a larger mouse. The current g400s is barely large enough for me to not get cramped up with using.

Either way, the 6500 cpi rating is ridiculous though. 

If thats true damn cause that about a whole centimeter longer than any of my current mice.

yea but we have to take in to account the height and curve an what not which means you wont get true 145mm length but itll still be damn long!

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Why do you need a laser mouse?

I doubt you need more than 6500 DPI, and optical sensors can be better optimized for lower DPIs than laser.

Laser tracks better on ALL surfaces.

You can use a slice of pizza as a mouse pad with laser mouse.

Laser might work on pretty much every surface, but the tracking quality itself is most often worse. Pretty much all laser sensors used today have hardware level acceleration that cannot be removed in anyway. Laser is also much more prone to jitter and tracking flaws due to dust and surface shape. As long as you have a mouse pad, optical is superior.

Laser might work on pretty much every surface, but the tracking quality itself is most often worse. Pretty much all laser sensors used today have hardware level acceleration that cannot be removed in anyway. Laser is also much more prone to jitter and tracking flaws due to dust and surface shape. As long as you have a mouse pad, optical is superior.

Funny, if someone is worried about not being able to use a slice of pizza as a mouse pad, I'd suspect they wont pay much attention to accuracy and repeatability.

Hahahaha ya this was pretty much my thought when I was looking through the dimentions, the "crest" I guess you could call it seems to be a bit further back compared to the sensei as well which will help with palming with larger hands.

But as some of the other guys have said, as much as I like the look of it and the specs on paper, I'll wait until some reviewers get them in their hands and see how the sensor fares.

I just found about this mouse earlier today. I like it a lot as well, I can't wait till it comes out and see some reviews. If they are good, I will buy one

Steelseries maximum DPI are always damn high even though it's optical mouse.

Strange that your name does not coincide with its origin.. hmmm....

Steelseries maximum DPI are always damn high even though it's optical mouse.

Have you seen the Deathadder 2013? It go the increase because it uses a infrared led I would assume this one does the same or close.

For those with mouse pads, optical is preferable. Granted, those who like to use their mice on sandpaper might be better off with a laser mouse.

I hope they have better software by now, when I used it last it was awfully slow even on my SSD. The mouse looks pretty good though

Personal analysis of the mouse

This mouse is definitely targeting Razer Deathadder 2013 and Zowie EC. It is possibly a successor to Ikari Optical.

SPECS

Both are optical mice and this means no accel. GREAT FOR ACCEL SENSITIVE PEOPLE! Really hope Steelseries will produce more optical mice in future.

Multicolour is also a plus to those want matching colour scheme.

DESIGN

Although similarly shaped, but it has a norrow front. This can cause discomfort, so it is better to try before getting one.

SOFTWARE

The software is definitely better than Synapse IMO

CONCLUSION

With decent specs, ergonomics and attractive price. This mouse is definitely a strong rival to Deathadder.

Personal analysis of the mouse

This mouse is definitely targeting Razer Deathadder 2013 and Zowie EC. It is possibly a successor to Ikari Optical.

SPECS

Both are optical mice and this means no accel. GREAT FOR ACCEL SENSITIVE PEOPLE! Really hope Steelseries will produce more optical mice in future.

Multicolour is also a plus to those want matching colour scheme.

DESIGN

Although similarly shaped, but it has a norrow front. This can cause discomfort, so it is better to try before getting one.

SOFTWARE

The software is definitely better than Synapse IMO

CONCLUSION

With decent specs, ergonomics and attractive price. This mouse is definitely a strong rival to Deathadder.

Do you actually have one? Becauae I considered preordering because it looks like their first proper mouse since the ikari laser and ikari optical.

Do you actually have one? Becauae I considered preordering because it looks like their first proper mouse since the ikari laser and ikari optical.

Nope, it is just my analysis. I'm also waiting for its release in my country as i'm trying it out before buying.

Software sucks though, I had uninstall it and I guess now they are working on it sense they say 8.1 is incompatible...

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

I've never had a problem with the drivers for the sensei in like 2 years on a bunch of different computers, that said I set it up pretty quickly after getting it and hardly ever touched it again apart from changing the color scheme or lcd every now and again.

I was set on the Sensei, and now I have to rethink again. DAMN.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird