Gtx 780?

Parman

I have the opportunity to buy a Gtx 780 for a £100. I was wondering is this card still capable of game at 1080p with high fps and details or there is a better option for me at this price point? 

Yeah, it's still a very good card, with performance just a bit under a GTX 970 which means it performs sort of like an RX 470.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If we're talking 2nd hand, then there are a lot of better options - Heck, a GTX 970 used would beat it handily. Taking into account that Nvidia really nerfed the 700 series in driver updates once the 900 series was established so I'd steer clear of a 700 series card or any Kepler based GPU at this point. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

2 minutes ago, Parman said:

I have the opportunity to buy a Gtx 780 for a £100. I was wondering is this card still capable of game at 1080p with high fps and details or there is a better option for me at this price point? 

Ok for 1080p high settings, I still use a HD 7870. But the power costs might be a put off. It depends on the cooler and board design though, stay away from reference unless it's a SFF.

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Parman said:

You might have to buy a better PSU because it's power hungry, but that price is a steal.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I can play GTA5 on high with a gtx 770
and games like overwatch, bf4 are a breeze too 

the 780 will do you good

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, TheDigitalRealm said:

Taking into account that Nvidia really nerfed the 700 series in driver updates

Step 1: Install older drivers

Step 2: Profit

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Have you check used 970 and R9 290(X/non X) prices? Take a look at them if you haven't.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

8 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Have you check used 970 and R9 290(X/non X) prices? Take a look at them if you haven't.

I have had a look and I can't find one lower than 160, and from benchMarks I seen there isn't enough of a increase to warrant the extra cash. 

20 minutes ago, TheDigitalRealm said:

If we're talking 2nd hand, then there are a lot of better options - Heck, a GTX 970 used would beat it handily. Taking into account that Nvidia really nerfed the 700 series in driver updates once the 900 series was established so I'd steer clear of a 700 series card or any Kepler based GPU at this point. 

I couldn't find a gtx 970 or equivalent for any less than 160 quid, how much do the drivers limit the caRd. so does it not perform in modern day titles, from the bench marks I seen it only performs about 5fps under the 970. 

8 hours ago, Parman said:

I couldn't find a gtx 970 or equivalent for any less than 160 quid, how much do the drivers limit the caRd. so does it not perform in modern day titles, from the bench marks I seen it only performs about 5fps under the 970. 

Depends on the game, but how are they priced anyhow.

Pascal laptops guide

8 hours ago, Parman said:

I have had a look and I can't find one lower than 160, and from benchMarks I seen there isn't enough of a increase to warrant the extra cash. 

Ohh, missed that one. Yeah 60 pounds over the 780 is a bit too much.

Pascal laptops guide

18 hours ago, Energycore said:

Ive always used older drivers with my cards for the exact reason. I switched to the 2nd latest yesterday so I could use sli in bf1. Then got the very latest and it runs even better now. Was still using the December first driver.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Ive always used older drivers with my cards for the exact reason. I switched to the 2nd latest yesterday so I could use sli in bf1. Then got the very latest and it runs even better now. Was still using the December first driver.

Interesting.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

On 11/2/2016 at 6:00 PM, Energycore said:

Do you know by any chance the best driver for GTX 780 Ti? 

My PC Specs: Corsair HAF XB Case - i5 3570K CPU @ 4.2 GHz - Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt Motherboard - 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz (4 x 4GB) RAM - Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W PSU - Nvidia GT 520 1GB Video Card (Upgrading Soon) - Samsung 840 250GB SSD (Boot + Some Programs) - Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3 HDD (Main Storage) - Hitachi 250GB Laptop HDD (Recording Storage, old HDD) - Hitachi 320GB HDD (Random Storage, old HDD) - Asus PB238Q 23" LCD IPS Monitor (Main) - Acer AL2017 20" LCD Monitor (Secondary) - Logitech Z623 Computer Speaker - Blue Snowball Microphone - Logitech K120 Keyboard - Lenovo Mouse

Just now, Ethernet said:

Do you know by any chance the best driver for GTX 780 Ti? 

I would do 362.00 because the whole gimping drama started with the version 364 ones.

But what I recommend actually is to tinker, try both the newest and the older ones and see what works best for you.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler