[Build log/Finished]Custom AIO ITX in Lian-Li PC-Q08B

Project status: Finished

Edit: This first post contains updated information with delay, at bottom of this first post you can find the other posts.

Hello, I will post here my build log doing custom water cooling unit out of the AIO water cooler units :D. I am going to fit three (3) of them into small compact Lian Li PC-Q08B case. I have already modded the case but I will post pictures of it when I take it apart again to show the cuts etc.

Before start: The old internal look:

romuluotain7_2016_modded_1.jpg

Finished: New internals:

uoddT13.jpg

The newest progress picture:

n19fAkF.jpg

If you like the log build then hit above "follow this post" and leave your thumbs or comments in this thread to keep me motivated.

Hardware:

To be installed:

Post history:

Hi again,

Still waiting for parts to arrive but because I was bored and wanted to plan how I connect the tubes made this 3D model with rigid tubes. I tried to put the components to correct place but I didn't want to model 5.25" drive bay holder or HDD cage but I hope you guys can use your imagination a little bit imagine how tight the case will be.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/social/model.html?id=529a8ed5-69ff-4148-b6f0-1b10eaed487c
The Page has 3D model viewer.

Lian-Li+PC-Q08B+custom+water+3x120mm_1.p

Lian-Li+PC-Q08B+custom+water+3x120mm_2.p

More to follow :)

I look forward to seeing this come together. I love seeing folks mod and improvise, especially when it comes to jamming things into SFF builds.

The only consideration I would mention is to use some sort of propylene glycol coolant because most AIO coolers have aluminum radiators, so there will be a mix of aluminum and copper in the same loop. From my understanding that's the way the AIO OEMs get away with it.

1 hour ago, GettinBissi said:

I look forward to seeing this come together. I love seeing folks mod and improvise, especially when it comes to jamming things into SFF builds.

The only consideration I would mention is to use some sort of propylene glycol coolant because most AIO coolers have aluminum radiators, so there will be a mix of aluminum and copper in the same loop. From my understanding that's the way the AIO OEMs get away with it.

So I should cancel EKWB UV blue order and switch to propylene glycol coolant?

Yeah thanks for support. I knew the case had a lot more potential when I bought it back in 2012 but didn't bother with modifying it at all before this year. Putting inside three 120mm rads is really pushing it and not getting rid off HDD cage or any other feature is pretty much pushing it. And I am thinking of upgrading motherboard to used Asus Z77ITX deluxe when I spot one as second hand so wanted to know before hand would I have enough room for that daughter VRM board.

Also I don't get people who throw away the HDD cages just to increase air flow tiny bit which doesn't affect temps at all, yeah you have a bit more room but you lose the functionality of the case and have to put the HDD somewhere else.

1 hour ago, sl06bhytmar said:

So I should cancel EKWB UV blue order and switch to propylene glycol coolant?

Yeah thanks for support. I knew the case had a lot more potential when I bought it back in 2012 but didn't bother with modifying it at all before this year. Putting inside three 120mm rads is really pushing it and not getting rid off HDD cage or any other feature is pretty much pushing it. And I am thinking of upgrading motherboard to used Asus Z77ITX deluxe when I spot one as second hand so wanted to know before hand would I have enough room for that daughter VRM board.

Also I don't get people who throw away the HDD cages just to increase air flow tiny bit which doesn't affect temps at all, yeah you have a bit more room but you lose the functionality of the case and have to put the HDD somewhere else.

I would. Better safe than sorry. EK only sells copper and brass based components, so I would bet that's what their coolants are geared for. A thought that comes to mind is using automotive coolant since you see a lot of cars with both aluminum and copper in the same system. Think old muscle cars with copper core radiators and aluminum heads on suped up engines, or more modern cars with aluminum everything but a copper heater core etc.

I have never done a mixed loop and I am by no means a chemist, I just know that without some special considerations in the coolant, there will be corrosion problems with aluminum and copper in the same loop. Cars get away with it because of the coolants they use and AIOs get away with it because they use propylene glycol. Here is a good read that goes into it, in a bit more detail: http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/.

11 hours ago, GettinBissi said:

I would. Better safe than sorry. EK only sells copper and brass based components, so I would bet that's what their coolants are geared for. A thought that comes to mind is using automotive coolant since you see a lot of cars with both aluminum and copper in the same system. Think old muscle cars with copper core radiators and aluminum heads on suped up engines, or more modern cars with aluminum everything but a copper heater core etc.

I have never done a mixed loop and I am by no means a chemist, I just know that without some special considerations in the coolant, there will be corrosion problems with aluminum and copper in the same loop. Cars get away with it because of the coolants they use and AIOs get away with it because they use propylene glycol. Here is a good read that goes into it, in a bit more detail: http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/.

Asked from EKWB and they confirmed what you said about their mix, so I am going to change it. +1 for EKWB for less than 24 hour answer

Thank you for contacting us.
I'm really sorry, but please note that you will have a lot of corrosion and your radiator will surely start leaking quite soon. 
DO NOT use this mix of materials in the same mix, as you should never use this mix of materials in the same loop.

So I changed to premix to Coollaboratory Liquid Coolant Pro Blue, according to their marketing material they have the best stuff on the market when it comes to mixed materials :)

Sadly it is not UV-reactive but heck, doesn't matter that much because case truly doesn't have window anyway.

Also I have a little bit doubs how much Antec 620's are able to push water through three 120mm radiators. thanks for @Apparition's mods for video

6 hours ago, sl06bhytmar said:

Asked from EKWB and they confirmed what you said about their mix, so I am going to change it. +1 for EKWB for less than 24 hour answer

So I changed to premix to Coollaboratory Liquid Coolant Pro Blue, according to their marketing material they have the best stuff on the market when it comes to mixed materials :)

Sadly it is not UV-reactive but heck, doesn't matter that much because case truly doesn't have window anyway.

Also I have a little bit doubs how much Antec 620's are able to push water through three 120mm radiators. thanks for @Apparition's mods for video

Wow, that's really low flow. It makes a D5 look like a garden hose lol. Maybe one of these will fit?

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c85/s1703/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Water_Blocks_CPU-CPU_BlockPump_Combo-Page1.html

Well I think flow is not that important as long as stuff keeps moving inside the tubes. Well liquid has more time to properly cool down in radiators :x

Experimented a little bit, and the pump is totally pathetic, can't even refill itself :)

I agree that flow isn't important, as long as there is flow, and decent pressure.

8 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

I agree that flow isn't important, as long as there is flow, and decent pressure.

Love the avatar!

In regards to flow: yes folks will say that pump speed doesn't really matter and that is true to an extent but they are referring to D5 and equivilant pumps that have flow rates like this:

And even then there is a difference of a couple of degrees between max and min pump speeds. In an SFF build the odds are already against you with airflow, then the poorer heat dissipation of aluminum radiators is another hit.

Yeah, you could probably get away with it but you won't be happy with your temps, you'll have little or no room for overclocking and you'll end up redoing it again in the future. My point just is, if you're gonna go water, make it worth while. Otherwise you just have a system that cools like air but has the risks of water. 

Anymahoo that's my 2 cents and I still look forward to seeing this system come together!

Alright,

Somebody stated today to me even after a year AIO units have started to make corrosion and if they haven't it means there has not been any air.

Sigh... 

Well because I have extra pump at hand so I took it apart and took super macro pics with my camera when I had openeted the pump unit,

Do you guys see any corrosion?

Left side small hole is water in, right side is water out.

RI8HJlC.jpg

Gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/h6uNt

It looks fine to me. Typically though the copper corrodes the aluminum. Take a look around the inlets of the radiators.

Radiator inlets are normal to my eyes, cannot see any damage nor any goo came out from radiator or block.

Edit: Well I am damned, bought 8000GB seagate hdd almost a year ago and price is still same :o, there goes my great plan to use raid 1/5/6 for lulz (archive drives are very bad in raid configurations according to internet)

Ordered a few parts more for maximum ridiculous stuff shoved inside. 

Ordered WLAN & Bluetooth module to USB as NoC (Network on chip) and solder USB data lines, antenna connectors etc. on it and it should work like magic. So why I ordered such part? Well I ordered also mini pcie to 2 sata ports adapter board, so basically upgrading my Zotac Z68-ITX-A-E to have 6 s-ata connectors. (2x 6Gbps, 4x 3Gbps).

Basically whole case will be full of stuff like it was meant to be.

Also I was trying to put the 140mm fan to front with 120mm radiator attached to it also but seems like I cut the front panel hole couple millimeters too small. So a little bit more dremeling has to be done which means complete disassembly but heck at least we get then "proper" build log even tough you won't see the pretty sparks. (I know aluminium doesn't give pretty sparks). 

So far the biggest computer parts reseller in Finland is having a bit problem with my order...

1. 6mm barb fittings are "delivery date unknown" (was previously 10-20 work days)
  2. Gelid manual fan controller should arrive to reseller on 11.11.2016
  3. Tygon tubing still 10-20 work days, no confirmed arrival date
  4. 8-12mm clamps still 10-20 work days, no confirmed arrival date
  5. Coollaboratory Liquid Coolant Pro Blue should arrive to reseller on 21.11.2016
  6. resevoir has arrived
  7. fan splitter cable has arrived

Guess 6mm barb fittings are not popular o.O

Just have to find 2 extra 3.5" drives somewhere for the money shots. 

• 2 weeks later...

cAV29QF.png

Still waiting for parts... Actually I got 6mm barb fittings from other source but wanted to see how they compare to no name fittings. Guess I will tell them to cancel that fan controller and fittings because they are now 2 weeks behind schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

teaser.JPG

Alright the necessary stuff arrived and I thought I bought concentrate but it came as ready to go premix... Bought two distilled water bottles for nothing then. Anyway starting next week I this log should (will) become much more active. 

Hopefully next week some last items that I bought will arrive also

Yeah, ordering wrong reservoir was good idea. I was supposed to order EK-WB single bay reservoir which is 39mm shorter than alphacool one...

quick change for parts and I also had to order 90 degree adapters because it is going to be very tight turn otherwise for tubing.

Currently disassembling rig.

Diassembly complete, my oldest AIO cooler had some anomalies inside (small light brown bits) so going to take the pump apart and investigate the horror inside.

Imgur album for project:

http://imgur.com/a/MkyVQ

WIuDJqT.jpg

84HDT0n.jpg

DXobqQK.jpg

slZkPpB.jpg

rcGlMZL.jpg

w3W8noJ.jpg

Vz6pVVm.jpg

UtQsI64.jpg

dDn4lAn.jpg

94ar6Jx.jpg

pLqDr0m.jpg

AvfvsIN.jpg

More to follow later :)

I noticed that my oldest Antec h20 620 was spitting some weird goo outside so decided to dismantle it.

XV7uJD8.jpg

Wj2n7dl.jpg

ojY8QYw.jpg

j3dVLym.jpg

beqkhrT.jpg

K8x6FX0.jpg

nSCpDFD.jpg

siMxWzG.jpg

Turns out that goo is remains of the glue that Asetek has used in their early pump & block units. Nasty, more than 50% of the flow was blocked.

Time to try fit all of these WEEE parts back into the case? Well first I have to figure how do I want route the hoses.

2g4An1c.jpg

iHzo78b.jpg

1wHzhPC.jpg

cdWOc6C.jpg

SIH8Loy.jpg

81zojS2.jpg

5WmhmPb.jpg

ub0MzBh.jpg

Going to take abit longer before I can fill the loop...

fitting_failure.png

I wish Arctic Cooling will sell me a spare part otherwise going to have a bit trouble...

5Ep6Vs2.jpg

pifU2Mv.jpg

3Dp1PIw.jpg

JxAtrEq.jpg

xb4MeE5.jpg

Alright last pictures of the year, the project continues after the X-mas and the new year.

EVgQaMt.jpg

7m5JjXC.jpg

M3BNwtN.jpg

HyrRY2L.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting for 90 degree adapters to arrive, otherwise I have pretty much everything ready to finish the build...

Also I made a nice purchase 

Spoiler

Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard

ASUS-P8Z77-I-DELUXE-Motherboard.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, last crucial parts should arrive tomorrow and I should have complete build ready on saturday / sunday depending on leak amount ;)

Small update: I have finished leak test of fixed GPU block fitting, mounted liquid temperature read-out display to front panel and I cut 6mm barb fittings a bit shorter so they fit inside 90 degree adapters from barrow. Also a video about making a sharp and compact turn between radiators.

lcOCswg.jpg

Leak test run from 16th December 2016 to 8th January 2017

mimkq10.jpg

No signs of leak

qcdkxNt.jpg

8Kn4mpH.jpg

V3JQbn3.jpg

RBrZD80.jpg

And this how it looks like then:

qdoXccE.jpg

31CRCb7.jpg

xmQxisW.jpg

No worries? :)

Getting ready to prime, I will leave it for tomorrow, because 1AM already.

C47HBop.jpg

85clVo3.jpg

xWBMBEK.jpg

IRXKbYM.jpg

DycUyHy.jpg