Where do you want to live?

DutchTexan
Just now, DutchTexan said:

I agree Ohio and Colorado have always been really attractive in my mind.

I wish more people understood Texas, though. There is a lot of diversity here. 

Texas would be great for me, but I like skiing too much. 

The southeast of the US Va toFla to Texas is just about as good as it gets IN THE WORLD.

Alabama is Crazy fun for peeps who like to float down a river..

Miami is 5 cultures of Large living all within 15 mins of each other.

North Carolina has the BEST SCUBA in the World Bar none.

Texas has the Most outdoor experience you could ever want. And just to make it 100% clear Southern Women are the Finest in The World.

I am going to add that for some reason I have been longing to get back to Okinawa and Taiwan..

The year in the east left a very favorable and enjoyable impression.

1 minute ago, maulemall said:

The southeast of the US Va toFla to Texas is just about as good as it gets IN THE WORLD.

Alabama is Crazy fun for peeps who like to float down a river..

Miami is 5 cultures of Large living all within 15 mins of each other.

North Carolina has the BEST SCUBA in the World Bar none.

Texas has the Most outdoor experience you could ever want. And just to make it 100% clear Southern Women are the Finest in The World.

FLOATING THE THE RIVER! It's the dumbest, greatest thing there ever was. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

17 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

:1 <3 

You don't want to comment on what I said through the rest of the former statement? The people who own sports cars don't usually live in super large cities. It's not practical. And if astrology is important to you?

I am not into astrology and you can grow dependent on technology I'll grant you that but not in the way you think: I have plenty of books, people to talk to, etc. So being without internet is annoying at worst for me. But that's why I mentioned climate earlier: Not sure where in Texas you are but climate in Northen Mexico equals or surpases south Texas and the valley area in shittyness: 35 to 40c average temps in the summer and when it gets cold it still goes to 0 so it's not' "comfortable" at all (5 years back we went down to like -8c) so living here without AC or some other form of climate control is pretty fucking shitty.

Provided climate is more favorable I could conceivable live in a smaller city that had plenty of amenities or a bigger city nearby anyway i.e. I really liked Victoria B.C. when I was over there a few years back and I would definitively live there specially since Vancouver is a short ferry away and you get to see marine mamals along the way.

But it does goes back to my initial thoughts: I'd be expensive. Living here in Monterrey Mexico is extremely cheap.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

FLOATING THE THE RIVER! It's the dumbest, greatest thing there ever was. 

Till you speant a day floating down Choctawhatchee River you aint never lived.

Up here in Wisconsin we got some awesome cheese. But I would honestly love to visit Interlaken Switzerland. But as a place to live, Wolfsburg, Germany.

To live: LA

To vacation: Curaçao

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

If money was no object then somewhere in Cali. Has the ocean, the mountains, the desert, the forests. It has big cities and rural countrysides. Lots of sports teams and race tracks. Overall temperate weather too.

19 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Norway, absolutely Norway. I've been a few times and it is literally the greatest country on the face of the earth. I'd move in a heartbeat.

Norway is great until you realize how expensive everything is

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

My ideal place is somewhere with a nice n cool weather (18-25C~) with the sea being on one side and mountains being on the other side or Iceland as it looks like a very pretty place (which does have 2 out of the 3 features I wanted, I prefer cold over hot anyway so...it's 2 and a half) :P.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I am not into astrology and you can grow dependent on technology I'll grant you that but not in the way you think: I have plenty of books, people to talk to, etc. So being without internet is annoying at worst for me. But that's why I mentioned climate earlier: Not sure where in Texas you are but climate in Northen Mexico equals or surpases south Texas and the valley area in shittyness: 35 to 40c average temps in the summer and when it gets cold it still goes to 0 so it's not' "comfortable" at all (5 years back we went down to like -8c) so living here without AC or some other form of climate control is pretty fucking shitty.

Provided climate is more favorable I could conceivable live in a smaller city that had plenty of amenities or a bigger city nearby anyway i.e. I really liked Victoria B.C. when I was over there a few years back and I would definitively live there specially since Vancouver is a short ferry away and you get to see marine mamals along the way.

But it does goes back to my initial thoughts: I'd be expensive. Living here in Monterrey Mexico is extremely cheap.

Yes those are all valid points. I live between Houston and the coast. Humidity and the temperatures are miserable, but I am surprised how used to it I got. People who land in this area during the summer just melt, it's hilarious. Cost of living is very significant. You can always pay more for higher quality goods, but the base line price is out of your control. Like fuel, being around $1.80 a gallon is a blessing. 

A few things are very, very important to me that I would never really be as attainable in a big city. Owing a small, single prop aircraft and actually using it relatively freely. Taking a track toy to the track is already an extremely expensive, impractical hobby, at best. Using a simple reflector telescope every now and then for a few hours is something I thoroughly enjoy.

Living somewhere is one thing. Vacation is a whole different thing. You can live in a cheap place and go on extravagant vacations frequently. Or live in a great area and be fulfilled while never going on vacation. These are the ideas I am trying to entertain with this post.

Thanks for your inputs! I really want to apologize if I was rude. It is difficult to communicate tone through the internet. :1

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

12 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

Up here in Wisconsin we got some awesome cheese. But I would honestly love to visit Interlaken Switzerland. But as a place to live, Wolfsburg, Germany.

Germany and the Nederlands will always be attractive

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

9 minutes ago, I need a better name said:

Norway is great until you realize how expensive everything is

Yes cost of living is significant. For vacation, not as much. You can always buy high quality and exotic things, no matter where you are. It's when you're paying twice as much for the cheap goods and services when it becomes a major issue.

Like electricity, taxes, water, gas and internet. Should be as cheap as possible.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

23 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

What does gas cost over there in San Jose? I would hate to purchase a home in Calli. What you get and what you pay for is just too crazy. Property taxes are pretty high where I live, but I imagine they are much worse there too.

I've chilled all over the Yucatan peninsula for about a week. Fucking beautiful there. 

gas isnt that expensive actually. in modesto, my hometown, the cheapest is like 2.19 a gallon, but in san jose, it's only 10 cents more expensive for the cheapest gas. but agreed. a 4 bed 3 bath 2 story home in the suburbs of san jose will still run you around a cool 800 grand. but the salaries people make in these areas kinda equalize how expensive things are  in metro areas of ca.

2 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

I don't mind snow. I lived in Northern Nevada for almost 10 years when I was young. I was upstate NY for a full year too. It might be me, but it seems like cold weather makes people lazy.

Humidity is the real killer, but where it's humid everything is much cheaper.

sometimes it isn't true. some parts of socal are humid as fuck, but the houses are still stupid expensive as fuck. like take calabasas, for example. normally doesn't drop below 60 percent humidity, even below summer, yet homes in the area still run north of a million.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, DutchTexan said:

So 'reasonable force' is a moral philosophy there? There's no official precedent for force? If it's dark you can't know much.

Last year I had a buddy who caught people trying to hook his boat up to a truck in the middle of a night and drive off with it. He shot one of them and ended up getting compensation from the trespassers who was struck by one of his rounds. 

I'd think it comes down to common sense more than anything. Does the guy have a weapon? No? Then you don't shoot them.

Can you kill someone for trying to take your physical possessions? No.

A human life is not equivalent to your boat, etc.

Since you're American I'll assume you see differently.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 hours ago, Qwweb said:

But as a place to live, Wolfsburg, Germany.

It ain't all that great here. Housing prices are fairly high and we simply don't have enough of it (housing). Trying to find an affordable place is a bit of a nightmare at the moment.. What is being built right now is mostly fancy shit for high earners who an drop 1000 € + a month on rent. And that's just pure rent, add another 500 or so for auxiliary costs and heating. And that's the lower end of the stuff they are building right now. Surprisingly, Braunschweig, the next big city, is far better in that regard.

The city is kind of a drag, tbh. If you are looking for a bustling metropolis with lots going on, I suggest you look elsewhere. Again, Braunschweig has a lot more going for it. Be that culturally, in terms of architecture, with history, or pretty much anything you could think of.

Unless you are going to work here, there is really not much of reason to move here.

[EDIT]

Forgot about the humidity in the summer. The city is surrounded by wetlands, summer here is basically hell for me. I can't deal with it.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'd think it comes down to common sense more than anything. Does the guy have a weapon? No? Then you don't shoot them.

Can you kill someone for trying to take your physical possessions? No.

A human life is not equivalent to your boat, etc.

Since you're American I'll assume you see differently.

It is illegal to steal, not because it is wrong, but because you are infringing on someone's rights. In America we believe we have the right to own property and possessions. I am sorry if that bothers you.

Making laws based off what is 'right' and 'wrong' is actually unethical. Moral philosophy is what you arguing, in the eyes of the law moral philosophy is too vague. All people do not consider right and wrong as the same thing. So, making laws based off feelings is going to produce an incompetent system. Feelings are not quantifiable. 

If someone is trespassing on your property, how are you suppose to know their intention before you take action? 

You step on my property without my consent I can take your life in Texas. That doesn't mean I'm going to shoot a little girl walking on my grass. It just means I have the right to protect my own rights. Again, sorry if that bothers you. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

34 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

It is illegal to steal, not because it is wrong, but because you are infringing on someone's rights. In America we believe we have the right to own property and possessions. I am sorry if that bothers you.

Making laws based off what is 'right' and 'wrong' is actually unethical. Moral philosophy is what you arguing, in the eyes of the law moral philosophy is too vague. All people do not consider right and wrong as the same thing. So, making laws based off feelings is going to produce an incompetent system. Feelings are not quantifiable. 

If someone is trespassing on your property, how are you suppose to know their intention before you take action? 

You step on my property without my consent I can take your life in Texas. That doesn't mean I'm going to shoot a little girl walking on my grass. It just means I have the right to protect my own rights. Again, sorry if that bothers you. 

It's illegal to steal because it's wrong. Let's be real, that's the same thing as it infringing on someone's rights :P

You have a right to own it. That right doesn't mean you can take someone else's life. That's just ridiculous.

When an unauthorized aircraft enters US airspace, do they shoot it down immediately? No. They ask why, and instruct a change of direction. Shooting before asking or yelling is, quite frankly, stupid.

We're not going to agree on this. Don't bother responding.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's illegal to steal because it's wrong. Let's be real, that's the same thing as it infringing on someone's rights :P

You have a right to own it. That right doesn't mean you can take someone else's life. That's just ridiculous.

When an unauthorized aircraft enters US airspace, do they shoot it down immediately? No. They ask why, and instruct a change of direction. Shooting before asking or yelling is, quite frankly, stupid.

We're not going to agree on this. Don't bother responding.

Actually, you are absolutely wrong. Laws are made to protect rights of people, environment, business, children, etc. There is no legality for protecting 'right' and prosecute 'wrong'.

Actually, you are absolutely wrong. It might start a war, but who is to say it was not already an act of war? The United States has the right to shoot down any unauthorized aircraft in our airspace the nanosecond it enters our airspace, as does any other sovereign nation with the capability.

Do you really believe it is the right thing to do to wait for someone to rob you in order to decide whether or not they wanted to rob you? If yes, then you believe it is also right to force people, countries and businesses to wait until something infringes on their god given rights before they can do anything about it?

You are either capable of defending your rights or not. Which is it? There is no 'just half of the time rights' just like there are no 'just half of the time' laws. They exist entirely or not at all.

How old are you?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

3 hours ago, Urishima said:

It ain't all that great here. Housing prices are fairly high and we simply don't have enough of it (housing). Trying to find an affordable place is a bit of a nightmare at the moment.. What is being built right now is mostly fancy shit for high earners who an drop 1000 € + a month on rent. And that's just pure rent, add another 500 or so for auxiliary costs and heating. And that's the lower end of the stuff they are building right now. Surprisingly, Braunschweig, the next big city, is far better in that regard.

The city is kind of a drag, tbh. If you are looking for a bustling metropolis with lots going on, I suggest you look elsewhere. Again, Braunschweig has a lot more going for it. Be that culturally, in terms of architecture, with history, or pretty much anything you could think of.

Unless you are going to work here, there is really not much of reason to move here.

You can buy a 279 acre lot with a little pond and well for $739,000 in Texas. You can also purchase a beautiful brick, 2 story house built in the early 2000's with 3,000ft2, 3 car garage, circle driveway, half-1 acre lot, 4 bedrooms and 3 baths for $290,000-$330,000 no problem. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

1 minute ago, DutchTexan said:

You can buy a 279 acre lot with a little pond and well for $739,000 in Texas. You can also purchase a beautiful brick, 2 story house built in the early 2000's with 3,000ft2, 3 car garage, circle driveway, half-1 acre lot, 4 bedrooms and 3 baths for $290,000-$330,000 no problem. 

holy shit you really get a lot for your money in texas. here in california, in places like san jose or san francisco or even in sacramento, 300k gets you a 2 bed and 1 bath 800 sq feet house in the worst part of town, or a 1 bed 1 bath apartment downtown. and you have to pay some pretty insane taxes on your property on top of that.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

On 10/30/2016 at 3:19 PM, DutchTexan said:

It's 1,000 times better to live in Texas than South Africa and Nevada. However, I don't think there's a place better than South Africa to vacation. At the same time, South Africa is one of the worst places to actually reside.

Where is the best place to live?

Where is the best place to vacation? 

Why is Nevada and South Africa so bad?

You could live like a king in S.A. but in Nevada or Texas, you'd live like a welfare recipiant.

I would pick a country in Europe. On the sea.

7 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Why is Nevada and South Africa so bad?

You could live like a king in S.A. but in Nevada or Texas, you'd live like a welfare recipiant.

I would pick a country in Europe. On the sea.

Nevada isnt all bad, to be honest. The only problem is the people. They can be really bad there. Plus where I lived, every handful of years there would be mormon crickets that completely take over the city. Living near a desert was cool, becasue federal land was free to ride a dirt bike all over. Motocross and desert was a big part of my life there too.

I was actually born in South Africa. It is really fucking bad to live there. Cape Town is really the only place it can be civilized sometimes, but then it is still very much Africa. Outside of a large city, your house will look like a prison. You need heavy duty bars on your windows. You need spikes on your heavy duty fence. You need double front and back doors. If you want to feel safe you need turn your house into a prison. If you have anything remotely valuable, you paid twice the price for it. The country took a shit in the late 90s early 2000's. I love South Africa, but I would absolutely never live there again. It has become a welfare state that gives more rights and protections to criminals, while blaming and taxing the fuck out of anyone who has a job. Not to mention, if you call the police. They might show up the next day, if at all, only to tell you that you should have done x, y and z and now you need to pay for x, y and z, when you are literally the victim of the crime. I can go on and on, maybe things aren't as bad now, but I will NEVER live there again. 

Since I moved to Texas, I have been nothing but completely in love with absolutely everything. I will die in Texas.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X