Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kwiksilver

Open or closed loop

1 minute ago, kwiksilver said:

If i do buy it, they kind of equal in price.. but closed doesn't leak and open had modularity and looks cool as well. 

It's ultimately up to you, open loops can get expensive. If you want best of both worlds then get the EK predator.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Zotac Amp! Extreme 1080Ti, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4690K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: MSI 1660 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, vong said:

It's ultimately up to you, open loops can get expensive. If you want best of both worlds then get the EK predator.

I should also mention it the closed would be two separate , one cpu and one gpu, whereas the open would be one whole loop for both

37 minutes ago, kwiksilver said:

I should also mention it the closed would be two separate , one cpu and one gpu, whereas the open would be one whole loop for both

Still up to you. Cost is mostly the deciding factor between the 2.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Zotac Amp! Extreme 1080Ti, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4690K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: MSI 1660 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

4 minutes ago, xgn said:

What is an open loop?

An open loop is where you leave a port open and water sprays everywhere. So there is no such thing as open loop. I understand what the OP is trying to say, the distinction is in the expand-ability of a custom loop vs an AIO cooler which is not, although the EK Predator is an exception with the QDC options. It is not accurate to call a custom loop an 'open' loop however, because it isn't.

System: BC1 Mini - 2700X - ROG X470-I Gaming, XB321HK, Dark Rock 3, 32GB RAM, EVGA Black 2080Ti

Just now, atomicus said:

An open loop is where you leave a port open and water sprays everywhere. So there is no such thing as open loop.

I know you can do that. Its how i bleed my system. But i was thinking. If it was a different style.

he obviously means a custom loop or at least expandable.  You can leave a top res port open without issues in most cases (not that you ever would, but you get the idea)

@xgn
@atomicus

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

he obviously means a custom loop or at least expandable.  You can leave a top res port open without issues in most cases (not that you ever would, but you get the idea)
@atomicus

Yes I know lol, just open loop sounds dangerous haha!

System: BC1 Mini - 2700X - ROG X470-I Gaming, XB321HK, Dark Rock 3, 32GB RAM, EVGA Black 2080Ti

Just now, atomicus said:

Yes I know lol, just open loop sounds dangerous haha!

either that or he's planning on doing what we hvac guys call a "pump and dump" where he takes fresh water and runs it through once, then straight into a drain.  I guess that would really be the only "open loop"

@kwiksilver for real though, its kinda entirely up to you.  If you do custom RIGHT then there are few chances of leaking.  AIO's can also leak, though it's less likely and there's a chance you'll be compensated via warranty for possible fried parts.  I would like to know what you're looking at for a custom loop that is in the same price range as most closed loop coolers

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

either that or he's planning on doing what we hvac guys call a "pump and dump" where he takes fresh water and runs it through once, then straight into a drain.  I guess that would really be the only "open loop"

@kwiksilver for real though, its kinda entirely up to you.  If you do custom RIGHT then there are few chances of leaking.  AIO's can also leak, though it's less likely and there's a chance you'll be compensated via warranty for possible fried parts.  I would like to know what you're looking at for a custom loop that is in the same price range as most closed loop coolers

It's the way my stuff is. the gpu alone with a custom loop (going to the cpu as well) costs roughly around the same as a aio cpu cooler and a gpu with one installed. if I'm getting everything right