Frame Rate Issues with GTX960

MG240

Hi guys,

I'm running GTX960 and I used to have a small monitor (720p only). Almost every games I have were running, but they couldn't keep 60 frames.

I recently switched to a bigger monitor and started using the standard 1080 display and lo and behold, most of the games I have are running now at higher frame rates! For example, my GTA V could barely keep 50fps on my 720p display, now it's running around 75-80 on 1080 display (I didn't touch any settings). My Fallout 4 before on 720p is the same case, running around 50ish, but now at 1080p it could keep 60 and above. 

Weird. Any idea why this happened? Shouldn't it be the other way around, bigger pixels, less frames?

It's because that GPU is made to run 1080p monitor. Like new GTX 1060 is for 1080p monitor and GTX 1070 is for 1440p :) 

Maybe that monitor was 50hz and u had v-sync on?

I5 4440//8gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3//Sapphire Radeon r9 380 4gb//ASUS h81m-plus//WD caviar blue 1tb//Cooler Master N200//Cooler Master G500

3 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

It's because that GPU is made to run 1080p monitor. Like new GTX 1060 is for 1080p monitor and GTX 1070 is for 1440p :) 

Makes no sense at all

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Uhhhhhh no. It's not "made" for any specific resolution.

Yeah, that's really damn weird

Just now, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

Makes no sense at all

Are you sure about that?

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Are you sure about that?

yh a graphics card that can run 1080p will be able to run 720p better as there are alot less pixels to render

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Yes, yes I am

Explain me why is GTX1070 being bottlenecked by i5 6600k on 1080p more than on 1440p?

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

Explain me why is GTX1070 being bottlenecked by i5 6600k on 1080p more than on 1440p?

Because at 1080p the graphics card is worknig too fast for the cpu to keep up but at 1440p the graphics card is at a lower pace so the cpu can keep up

Because at 1080p the graphics card is worknig too fast for the cpu to keep up but at 1440p the graphics card is at a lower pace so the cpu can keep up

AKA GPU is optimised to work at 1440p which means it will pull more work so CPU won't have as work to do as on 1080p where that GPU is not optimised to work on so CPU has to do more stuff.

Just now, frozeNNN said:

AKA GPU is optimised to work at 1440p which means it will pull more work so CPU won't have as work to do as on 1080p where that GPU is not optimised to work on so CPU has to do more stuff.

Well no thats just the cpu being too slow, so if you got a faster cpu then it wouldnt be bottlenecked

1 minute ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

Well no thats just the cpu being too slow, so if you got a faster cpu then it wouldnt be bottlenecked

I think we speak about the same CPU at 1080 and 1440p :) By your and @wrathoftheturkey's logic, same GPU and CPU should work better on lower resolution ;) Also idk why but wrathoftheturkey is quiet suddenly? xD

The same gpu and cpu should work better on lower resolutions until the cpu becomes a bottleneck as it cant keep up after a certain point

31 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Uhm, since when are GPU's optimized for certain resolutions? 

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

Uhm, since when are GPU's optimized for certain resolutions? 

Not optimised,they are made for certain resolutions which is same if you say they are "optimised"

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

Not optimised,they are made for certain resolutions which is same if you say they are "optimised"

Just because it is aimed at one resolution doesnt mean it only works on that resolution

Just because it is aimed at one resolution doesnt mean it only works on that resolution

Did i say it works only on that and that resolution? LOL First of all look what i said then comment on what i said. I said it will perform better on the res which is meant for that GPU. (in reality it doesn't mean it actually will but the scaling is there)

2 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Did i say it works only on that and that resolution? LOL First of all look what i said then comment on what i said. I said it will perform better on the res which is meant for that GPU. (in reality it doesn't mean it actually will but the scaling is there)

It wont perform better on its intended res though, a 1080 will run better at 1080p than 4k

So GFX card optimization for certain resolution is a thing? Hmmm first time I learned about that, interesting.

The way I expected it is the more powerful the gfx card and the lesser the resolution, the more frames it could pull off.

7 hours ago, MG240 said:

So GFX card optimization for certain resolution is a thing? Hmmm first time I learned about that, interesting.

The way I expected it is the more powerful the gfx card and the lesser the resolution, the more frames it could pull off.

The frozeNNN guy doesnt know what he is talking about, the lower the res the higher the fps until the cpu becomes a bottleneck where there will be diminishing returns