Why Linus is wrong (another macbook topic)

USB type C is not mainstream at all

hell, they didn't even finished adding features to the fucking standard

oh, and one more thing - the moment USB type C cables stop murdering the devices they got plugged in, that's when USB type C has a chance to go mainstream

Why have 10 different types of ports and 10 different types of cables when you can combine them all into one?

guess what?! Apple does not provide docks or adapters to type A ports (shipped with the product), so your excuse of no more 10 different type of cables just went to the way of the do-do

you want to plug your iPhone into your MacBook PRO, buy an adapter or cable

you want to plug your printer, buy an adapter or cable

want to plug a 2nd display or TV, wait for it ... you need another cable

want to plug your LAN cable? nop! you need an adapter

and the list goes on and on

how well did it go when they 1st introduced the type C to MacBooks? that well, eh ...

the fucking things cost ~3000$ would've hurt them to add a DP or at least a HDMI, or a type A? nope

but they kept the 3.5mm jack - that should tell you something

---

my pos HP Pavilion from 2013 has HDMI, USB2, USB3 and LAN ports, SD card reader and audio jack

The problem with the adapters is not that they're active or passive, it's the fact that they exist in the first place. Apple is all about having a cohesive ecosystem, and having a bunch of adapters is not really that cohesive. Now, you may argue that adapters aren't that different than cables, and if I'm bitching about a type C connector, then I should bitch about the connector from my laptop to external display, or to a wired mouse or the like. And I don't agree that that metaphor is relevant. What if you buy a shiny new mechanical keyboard, and you go to plug it in only to find that you need to spend another $25 to $50 on a 6 inch cable adapter in order for it to work with your new computer. That's why I'm upset with the single port. Go the same route that a lot of GPU manufacturers go: add the cable to the box, just like they add a $0.10 DVI to VGA adapter so my 15 year old 5:4 monitor can work with my shiny new GPU. But, Apple, being Apple, sell those things. When I can use the exact same cable, plugged into the same port on the computer, for a display, then sync my phone, and then charge the laptop, then that will be the time when adapters are no longer necessary, but right now, that's not possible without adapters.

It's also called a Macbook PRO for a reason, the users are supposed to be professionals doing power user stuff. Realistically, one port is always going to be used to charge it, so you really can't call it four ports. Let's say I am a photographer. I have one port for an SD reader (type c to SD card, because my tried and true type A one is obsolete), another output to a large 4k color calibrated screen, and my trusty old thunderbolt 2 external drive (which I'll need an adapter for, because fuck me). That leaves me with no ports to charge my phone/camera/external battery pack, add a (wired) keyboard or mouse or webcam. I mean, I can, but I'd have to buy (yet another) adapter to split the port into multiple. As a professional, I shouldn't have to bring oodles and oodles of adapters for my oodles and oodles of external stuff that can plug into my laptop. "Oh, I might have to use three things that use the type A port, so I'll need three type C to A, but I also might use a monitor, better bring a type C to display port and hdmi." Just a bunch of extra cables and extras that shouldn't be there, that you can't use all at the same time, but need to have, because there is a unique combination of port useage that might happen at one point, when all this would have been solved with an SD card reader, a type A port or two or three, and an HDMI and DP port, in addition to the two or so type C that's on there.

I can't comment on the lack of magsafe, because I've never used a mac with one, but the comments on /r/apple seemed really butthurt that it doesn't exist.

The only progress I see is the progress of increase the bank account of Apple and the adapter manufactures. It's great that this port exists and what it can do, but give people options and don't shoehorn it in when it doesn't fit.

sorry about the rant and any repeated points or incongruities. took a while writing this while multitasking and alt-tabbing quite a lot. 

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. That doesn't mean that I like Apple as a company or the culture they promote, I just think that they have some pretty decent products.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

52 minutes ago, zMeul said:

oh, and one more thing - the moment USB type C cables stop murdering the devices they got plugged in, that's when USB type C has a chance to go mainstream

guess what?! Apple does not provide docks or adapters to type A ports (shipped with the product), so your excuse of no more 10 different type of cables just went to the way of the do-do

how well did it go when they 1st introduced the type C to MacBooks? that well, eh ...

the fucking things cost ~3000$ would've hurt them to add a DP or at least a HDMI, or a type A? nope

---

my pos HP Pavilion from 2013 has HDMI, USB2, USB3 and LAN ports, SD card and audio jack

I get most of what you're saying, but when the cables are made properly they're fine. It's when companies try and take shortcuts that they fail, or when they don't make them to spec. Has nothing to do with USB C, simply shitty manufacturers.

They were going for thin. It worked. I don't think it even affected sales that much, as the Macbook Air doesn't really have much plugged into it that often. So why would they care?

It seems to me you missed most of the points he was trying to make..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I get most of what you're saying, but when the cables are made properly they're fine.

even with those made fine (even certified) it was discovered there were issues (the recent Anker cable case)

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They were going for thin. It worked. I don't think it even affected sales that much, as the Macbook Air doesn't really have much plugged into it that often. So why would they care?

riight, might wanna ask the people actually using them ;) 

---

thin?! isn't HDMI thin? mini / DP? USB type A

I find it hilarious that some people will back this ideal fully, however when it comes to things like 8GB of RAM on phones they get all bent out of shape saying it's pointless. It's the exact same thing. Chicken and egg.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, zMeul said:

even with those made fine (even certified) it was discovered there were issues (the recent Anker cable case)

Ohh, you mean my gf? Or the three friends that have them? All of which don't have any real reason to connect any external devices?

Right, I guess I should ;)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

Ohh, you mean my gf? Or the three friends that have them? All of which don't have any real reason to connect any external devices?

Right, I guess I should ;)

I guess she / them don't use USB thumb drives? mouse? plug the phone? some SD card?

all that, nope?

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Snip

First off, Linus straight out said on the WAN show, that he doesn't really have a huge problem with the price or the features of the mackbook pro. his big problem is the term "PRO"... there is nothing "PRO"fessional about this laptop. It simply does not have the hardware to be paired with that term**. I believe Linus called it: "consumer at best" (or something to that effect). (**duo core, 8GB of RAM, and no dedicated graphics. it is literally like 150 bucks to get that in a desktop, I get that laptops gotta pay more for the same level of hardware, but 10x that amount is pretty redonkulous)

Secondly, as wonderful and amazing and awesome as USB C/thunderbolt is, 2k+ for a laptop where that is literally the only selling point is really.... I just don't get it. You said it yourself, in 3 years everything on USB C is going to make this computer amazing... but considering the laptop already has mediocre power, its going to be largely obsolete in 3 years (if not for raw performance, there will be something better on the market offering these things and more).

Thirdly, the "Best IO ever made" is your opinion... "the mackbook pro isn't worth it" is another person's opinion. Opinions can't be "wrong". They're opinions.

Lastly, everything you said about how good this laptop is, had absolutely nothing to do with the laptop itself. It simply about the perks of USB C and thunderbolt. I'm not 100% sure about the offerings of laptops nowadays, as I haven't really looked at them a whole lot, but I'm sure you could get SOME other laptop for that kind of price that is significantly better and offers at least 1 of these thunderbolt ports (if you can't, some company will notice this and release it shortly). You said it yourself, you can connect everything to 1 port simultaneously (so you certainly don't need 4).

I don't think its worth spending thousands of dollars for a Thunderbolt connection. You apparently disagree with that assessment. Feel free to go purchase one of these laptops =)

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

---

thin?! isn't HDMI thin? mini / DP? USB type A

What happened with an Anker cable?  

My problem with this thing is that there is easy enough space for a USB Type A connector, and a SD Card reader. And then, why not at least 4 USB-C on the 13" model? 

And the keyboard, my god the keyboard. I hate it so much! It just has no keytravel and no pressure point.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

1 minute ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

My problem with this thing is that there is easy enough space for a USB Type A connector, and a SD Card reader. And then, why not at least 4 USB-C on the 13" model? 

And the keyboard, my god the keyboard. I hate it so much! It just has no keytravel and no pressure point.

Do you really care about a USB Type a connector? I seriously don't, I have never used one since years ;). I am happy when I can dock it with one connector only, except that I miss the MacSafe connector.

About the Keyboard, I haven't really tried it, so I really don't know.

My main reason to buy a Macbook is still the reliability I had with them in my past. I need this computer to work, no matter what and for business, thats what you need.

Just take a look at IBM, they say, they save quiet some money with macs compared to PCs.

So it really comes down to what is 'PRO'fessional for you and what matters most for you.

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

i agree with a lot of the points you make, i think the problem isn't really apple but the usb concernum that is making really weird moves on the usb-c standard. like i agree that everything should fit into a single connector, but if not every connector is going to support everything than thats going to get confusing fast. they should've made like 3 or 2 tiers. so that phones can have the least flashy usb type c port while laptops and computers can have full fledged ones, and tv's and stuff like that can be somewhere in the middle. not all this optional crap.

25 minutes ago, leodaniel said:

Do you really care about a USB Type a connector? I seriously don't, I have never used one since years ;). I am happy when I can dock it with one connector only, except that I miss the MacSafe connector.

About the Keyboard, I haven't really tried it, so I really don't know.

My main reason to buy a Macbook is still the reliability I had with them in my past. I need this computer to work, no matter what and for business, thats what you need.

Just take a look at IBM, they say, they save quiet some money with macs compared to PCs.

So it really comes down to what is 'PRO'fessional for you and what matters most for you.

Yes I do. Cause I have a USB mouse, USB Keyboard, USB Gamepad etc.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

4 minutes ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

Which you obviously all need when you re not docked ;) and I don't think you should consider a GamePad if you buy a mac

And every monitor today has a USB hub ;) 

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

I actually completely agree, 4 ports are definitely not too many and the only problem I have with using usb-c is if they only use one like in the macbook. In fact, I think having more would have been a good idea. Of course it couldn't have hurt to have one or two legacy ports, so as to not have to always adapt everything, but that's not a huge deal. My main problem with the macbook pro line is and has always been the price, not the product's design itself. Of course they have their flaws aside from that, but every laptop does.

Just now, TheLaserCucumber said:

I wouldn't buy a macbook for games... and frankly if you can carry a cabled mouse (not to mention a cabled keyboard) with you you can also carry a 4cm passive adapter.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well to start off with a passive adapter is still an adapter. You can't plug USB into USB mini. 

However: I agree with everything else. It is good that they've switched over, but I wish they'd still keep some other ports. 3 C types, an HDMI and normal USB for wireless mouse dongles . It's great that they're really taking USBC seriously, but make sure people can transition. 

- snip-

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

It pisses me off people comparing the mackbook to things like the Inspiron 7559 and not the XPS series which is roughly the same specs for the same price

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Well done Enderman! I totally agree with this, USB-C is the future and 4 ports is a lot, considering even the highest end motherboards usually only carry 1 or 2.

Also the friggin headphone jack is still there people, alongside 4 futuristic ports!

Groomlake Authority

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

---

my pos HP Pavilion from 2013 has HDMI, USB2, USB3 and LAN ports, SD card and audio jack

The USB-C connector is finalized. The USB 3.1 protocol might not, but that is irrelevant since the ports on the macbook are Thunderbolt 3.

Even if USB creates 3.2 or 3.5 or whatever, it will still be compatible through the type C connector with thunderbolt 3.

I can agree that they should have provided docks or cables for such a bold move, like they did with the iphone.

The port on the macbook is only USB-C  3.0. This severely limits it's compatibility, and does require adapters for displays. There is also only 1 port, and without daisy chaining you NEED to use adapters.

The USB-C with thunderbolt 3 means you can plug in many devices into one port without adapters as long as the devices have a passthrough.

The USB-C monitor and storage device showed at the conference were passtrough. Something like a mouse would not be passthrough.

The monitor also had a full USB-C dock built in to plug in more stuff into the daisy chain.

All those things you said, plug into a second display, printer, etc... will require a USB-C to B cable or C to HDMI or something like that, yes.

But that will be replacing HDMI to HDMI or USB-A to B cables, so you still only have the same amount of cable clutter as you had before.

In the near future, with more USB C on devices, you can start getting rid of those cables and only using C to C cables.

It will take a couple years, but now with the MBP using only USB it will be happening much sooner than it would otherwise have, which is great for everybody.

Since you're not an apple customer, you get the option of just waiting and switching directly to USB C to C once many devices carry it. Then you can thank apple for speeding up adoption rate.

PS. most laptops and ultrabooks have not had ethernet ports for years, I don't see that as a downside anymore.

Again, if they put HDMI or type A or other stuff then nobody would want to try USB-C because it is out of their comfort zone, everyone would stick to the known stuff.

Headphone jack is good that they kept it :P

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Type C adoption is held back by much higher cost of producing the cables to support all those functions, and that almost all things with a non-removable cable happens to be type A. This forces people to buy and use an adapter even if they have one or two devices that have an output-to-USB C cable. All those are not cheap and you're saddled with an additional item to bring around.

Its like the whole DX12 problem but in the form of a connector standard. DX12 can do wonders but at the end of the day its the program/device limiting what can be done through the port. And at the moment its all over the shop.

A USB A to C adapter is not expensive, and a USB cable with a type C connector on the end instead of type A is also not expensive.

If you have enough devices that use it you can get rid of all your USB A cables altogether and just use C.

At the end of the day, you end up with the same amount of cables you had before, just type C.

Also, a device does not need "output to USB-C" it just needs any kind of output.

For example, my mouse is micro USB to USB A. I can just buy a micro USB to USB-C cable and throw away the old cable.

7 hours ago, LucidMew said:

The problem with the adapters is not that they're active or passive, it's the fact that they exist in the first place. Apple is all about having a cohesive ecosystem, and having a bunch of adapters is not really that cohesive. Now, you may argue that adapters aren't that different than cables, and if I'm bitching about a type C connector, then I should bitch about the connector from my laptop to external display, or to a wired mouse or the like. And I don't agree that that metaphor is relevant. What if you buy a shiny new mechanical keyboard, and you go to plug it in only to find that you need to spend another $25 to $50 on a 6 inch cable adapter in order for it to work with your new computer. That's why I'm upset with the single port. Go the same route that a lot of GPU manufacturers go: add the cable to the box, just like they add a $0.10 DVI to VGA adapter so my 15 year old 5:4 monitor can work with my shiny new GPU. But, Apple, being Apple, sell those things. When I can use the exact same cable, plugged into the same port on the computer, for a display, then sync my phone, and then charge the laptop, then that will be the time when adapters are no longer necessary, but right now, that's not possible without adapters.

It's also called a Macbook PRO for a reason, the users are supposed to be professionals doing power user stuff. Realistically, one port is always going to be used to charge it, so you really can't call it four ports. Let's say I am a photographer. I have one port for an SD reader (type c to SD card, because my tried and true type A one is obsolete), another output to a large 4k color calibrated screen, and my trusty old thunderbolt 2 external drive (which I'll need an adapter for, because fuck me). That leaves me with no ports to charge my phone/camera/external battery pack, add a (wired) keyboard or mouse or webcam. I mean, I can, but I'd have to buy (yet another) adapter to split the port into multiple. As a professional, I shouldn't have to bring oodles and oodles of adapters for my oodles and oodles of external stuff that can plug into my laptop. "Oh, I might have to use three things that use the type A port, so I'll need three type C to A, but I also might use a monitor, better bring a type C to display port and hdmi." Just a bunch of extra cables and extras that shouldn't be there, that you can't use all at the same time, but need to have, because there is a unique combination of port useage that might happen at one point, when all this would have been solved with an SD card reader, a type A port or two or three, and an HDMI and DP port, in addition to the two or so type C that's on there.

I can't comment on the lack of magsafe, because I've never used a mac with one, but the comments on /r/apple seemed really butthurt that it doesn't exist.

The only progress I see is the progress of increase the bank account of Apple and the adapter manufactures. It's great that this port exists and what it can do, but give people options and don't shoehorn it in when it doesn't fit.

sorry about the rant and any repeated points or incongruities. took a while writing this while multitasking and alt-tabbing quite a lot. 

Now people are actually going to be buying products that use USB-C, so when shopping for a new keyboard you would get a USB-C one that works fine.

Or get a keyboard with a removable cable (of which there are tons) and then buy a micro USB to USB-C cable, or USB-B to USB-C cable, or whatever it uses.

No need for adapters.

I can agree the lack of SD card is disappointing.

Your argument of "but I also might use a monitor, better bring a type C to display port and hdmi." is what I tried to clear up in this topic, but I guess it wasn't clear enough.

YES this is what is going to happen, instead of having a displayport cable, an HDMI cable, and a USB A cable, now you have a type C to DP cable, type C to HDMI, and type C to. You end up carrying around the same amount of cables, not more. In the near future, more devices will use only USB-C and you won't need all those cables, you will only need a couple C to C cables.

THIS is what progress is, whether you like it or not we need to switch to USB C to make this possible. Yes it is forcing the apple customers to buy a bunch of additional cables upfront, but with thousands of people buying those laptops you will see a huge surge of USB-C compatible devices. You cna see a few examples in the conference, like a monitor, an external drive, etc...

7 hours ago, Zyndo said:

First off, Linus straight out said on the WAN show, that he doesn't really have a huge problem with the price or the features of the mackbook pro. his big problem is the term "PRO"... there is nothing "PRO"fessional about this laptop. It simply does not have the hardware to be paired with that term**. I believe Linus called it: "consumer at best" (or something to that effect). (**duo core, 8GB of RAM, and no dedicated graphics. it is literally like 150 bucks to get that in a desktop, I get that laptops gotta pay more for the same level of hardware, but 10x that amount is pretty redonkulous)

Secondly, as wonderful and amazing and awesome as USB C/thunderbolt is, 2k+ for a laptop where that is literally the only selling point is really.... I just don't get it. You said it yourself, in 3 years everything on USB C is going to make this computer amazing... but considering the laptop already has mediocre power, its going to be largely obsolete in 3 years (if not for raw performance, there will be something better on the market offering these things and more).

Thirdly, the "Best IO ever made" is your opinion... "the mackbook pro isn't worth it" is another person's opinion. Opinions can't be "wrong". They're opinions.

Lastly, everything you said about how good this laptop is, had absolutely nothing to do with the laptop itself. It simply about the perks of USB C and thunderbolt. I'm not 100% sure about the offerings of laptops nowadays, as I haven't really looked at them a whole lot, but I'm sure you could get SOME other laptop for that kind of price that is significantly better and offers at least 1 of these thunderbolt ports (if you can't, some company will notice this and release it shortly). You said it yourself, you can connect everything to 1 port simultaneously (so you certainly don't need 4).

I don't think its worth spending thousands of dollars for a Thunderbolt connection. You apparently disagree with that assessment. Feel free to go purchase one of these laptops =)

I have seen people using 5+ year old macbooks and they were working great. If you maintain your product, there is no reason why it can't last you more than 3 years.

Yes it won't really be powerful enough for professionals in 3 years, but in order to get people moving to USB-C you need to pressure them by making it the only option, THEN people will start buying into it. If you're not a macbook pro customer, then you don't even need to worry about this, because they are the ones that will start manufacturers producing more USB-C on their devices.

Also, the reason for 4 ports instead of just 1, is because certain things like the 5k displays use up a lot of bandwidth, so you would need to use other ports if you want stuff like multiple displays, or plug in a USB drive directly into the laptop instead of daisy chaining it to the monitor.

2 hours ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

If the laptop had A connectors then nobody would be forced to switch and it would basically make 4 useless ports on the macbook as everyone tries to plug everything into the A connector since it is what they are familiar with.

Also, Yes 4 USB-C would have been a better option for the 13".

Personally I have not tried that new keyboard, so no comment :P

2 hours ago, tlink said:

i agree with a lot of the points you make, i think the problem isn't really apple but the usb concernum that is making really weird moves on the usb-c standard. like i agree that everything should fit into a single connector, but if not every connector is going to support everything than thats going to get confusing fast. they should've made like 3 or 2 tiers. so that phones can have the least flashy usb type c port while laptops and computers can have full fledged ones, and tv's and stuff like that can be somewhere in the middle. not all this optional crap.

Actually, you can easily tell what kind of USB ports you have.

All the connectors will support everything is they are thunderbolt 3 USB-C, or support only USB if they are USB 3.1 type-C.

So there is really only two options, the Thunderbolt ports on stuff like the laptops, monitors, and external storage, and then there is the regular USB 3.1 only devices like your phone, a USB drive, a peripheral, etc... The type of stuff that would would plug into a "host" to use.

This is pretty much what you just said, one type C connector has thunderbolt and can do everything, and one type C connector is USB only and is used on peripherals and that type of stuff with no daisy chaining. I don't understand what "optional crap" you're talking about.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I've got a 2011 17" MacBook Pro and still find myself trying to plug HDMI into it. Need a mini display port to hdmi adapter. :( 

If your MBP has USB C and your displays had USB C and all your other devices had USB C, then you would only need one type of cable, that is C to C :)

The future is sunny, apple is literally forcing people to use USB C to increase adoption rate so that this sunny future can get here faster.

Everyone that uses a PC should be thankful for that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020