Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nicholatian

It’s 2016; do I need VMWare ESXi to pass my dGPU through to a VM?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I haven’t found a wealth of details on the subject, but what I have found are all several years old and mostly say that I need VMWare ESXi, a server-grade virtualisation solution, to pass through my GT 740 to my Windows 7 VM.

Is this true? Or would it be possible to use my regular VMWare Workstation setup to do so? What about with VirtualBox?

My GitHub — The Injustice of Complexity in Computing — Abusive Relationships With Programming Languages

The only horror is that horror is no longer possible.

Virtual box doesn't work with PCIe passthrough, no. Dunno about VMWare workstation, but I dont think so.

PSU Tier List LTT Gender Survey

LTT's self-appointed memelord

Always up for a game of chess

See @STRMfrmXMN @Energycore or @Starelementpoke for PSU needs

See @deXxterlab97 for blue fetishes (if that's your thing)

See @ShadowTechXTS for cats

@Implosivetech's got you covered for all your graphic design needs

And lastly, never put a CX green series PSU in a high end build https://youtu.be/Oybz5Q-If9M?t=7

19 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

I haven’t found a wealth of details on the subject, but what I have found are all several years old and mostly say that I need VMWare ESXi, a server-grade virtualisation solution, to pass through my GT 740 to my Windows 7 VM.

Is this true? Or would it be possible to use my regular VMWare Workstation setup to do so? What about with VirtualBox?

Vm exsi can pass gpus in to a vm, but it will not work with Nvidia gt/gtx cards you need a quadro/amd card.

If you use xenserver, or something like unraid, or KVM then it will work with any gpu, most likely the easiest way is with a hypervisor, but something like KVM can run on ubuntu.

Also it depends on your cpu/motherboard, both have to support vt-x, and vt-d.

EDIT: 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multiheaded-NVIDIA-Gaming-using-Ubuntu-14-04-KVM-585/

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Vm exsi can pass gpus in to a vm, but it will not work with Nvidia gt/gtx cards you need a quadro/amd card.

If you use xenserver, or something like unraid, or KVM then it will work with any gpu, most likely the easiest way is with a hypervisor, but something like KVM can run on ubuntu.

Also it depends on your cpu/motherboard, both have to support vt-x, and vt-d.

I have a Z170 motherboard and my CPU supports both VT-x and VT-d.

KVM is a kernel module, not a virtualisation suite – should I be using QEMU or something via KVM?

My GitHub — The Injustice of Complexity in Computing — Abusive Relationships With Programming Languages

The only horror is that horror is no longer possible.

5 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

I have a Z170 motherboard and my CPU supports both VT-x and VT-d.

KVM is a kernel module, not a virtualisation suite – should I be using QEMU or something via KVM?

Look at the guide I posted, IIRC i think that KVM used QEMU in some way.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •