Apple admits in open court to reuse old parts from damaged phones, in new ones

DozerKitty
1 minute ago, DozerKitty said:

Equal value of the price that was paid when bought. If the product is still in stock, he would get a new one of the same version. But if it has been discontinued, he would get a new product with the same current value/sales price, as what he gave for his old product.

I agree, a new phone with few reused parts is better than a refurbished one.

I'm not sure how he found out in the first place.

Yeah but a phone drops in price 50% in a year or so..... If my phone keeps breaking every year I can keep on the flagship wagon xD

Here in NL, you have the right to a similar product and price is not really looked at. (so if u bought an iphone 6 and they dont have it, you can get a 6s, not a 7 regardless of price)

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

If there's 2 previous repairs that's not even that much of a burden at all for companies to just give you new shit at that point: they're supposed to have a strict process of recertifying their refurbished parts and if the thing keeps failing they're obviously slacking off in that regard so I think it's a very sensible law, Apple are just being fucking jerks here.

Apple being jerks? Noooooo, get out'a'here!

Not all companies have the same strict protocols, so a part can fail multiple times, being repaired again and again for the same fault. I know a guy who worked at a laptop manufacturer. In the beginning, they got some very cheap shells from one of the bigger ODM's just to get off the ground. On one particular model, they had a RMA rate of 110%, i.e. every single model had been in for repairs, and some had gone in a second time. They did get some better models right after, but it was too late, the damage had been done, and they went belly up. Just for clarification, it was a danish company called Zepto.

3 minutes ago, QBtech said:

It's a hard case to start with. Equal value to what? The launching price, current price or current value if it worked?

It should be current market value as if it wasn't, people could abuse it to get free upgrades :P 

Just now, DozerKitty said:

Equal value of the price that was paid when bought. If the product is still in stock, he would get a new one of the same version. But if it has been discontinued, he would get a new product with the same current value/sales price, as what he gave for his old product.

That's just confusing, I personally think it should be current market value while disregarding what the price was when he bought it as in your situation, people will argue that the iphone 4 is now worth less than what they paid for as they should get something equal to what they originally paid for...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, QBtech said:

Yeah but a phone drops in price 50% in a year or so..... If my phone keeps breaking every year I can keep on the flagship wagon xD

Here in NL, you have the right to a similar product and price is not really looked at. (so if u bought an iphone 6 and they dont have it, you can get a 6s, not a 7 regardless of price)

You could very much do that, yes, as you get a new warranty each time ;)

Here, we very much look at the price. Considering Apple pushed out a phone, or an updated version of a phone, once each year, it would be very likely to be an S model, if the standard non-S wasn't on the market anymore, unless they still had it in stock. But it's very much case-by-case.

But yeah, the price of the sale is king here. If it was sold for 500$, you are entitled to a product of same value.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

It should be current market value as if it wasn't, people could abuse it to get free upgrades :P 

That's just confusing, I personally think it should be current market value while disregarding what the price was when he bought it as in your situation, people will argue that the iphone 4 is now worth less than what they paid for as they should get something equal to what they originally paid for...

It's exactly to get around this argument, as the company could claim it was only worth 20% of its original value, while the customer would claim 60%. This would drag on and on, as there would never be a clear index to look at, as time isn't the only factor. How much would the price go down, if it has one scratch? Or two? Or if it had a dent and a scratch? The cycle is endless.

5 minutes ago, DozerKitty said:

Apple being jerks? Noooooo, get out'a'here!

Not all companies have the same strict protocols, so a part can fail multiple times, being repaired again and again for the same fault. I know a guy who worked at a laptop manufacturer. In the beginning, they got some very cheap shells from one of the bigger ODM's just to get off the ground. On one particular model, they had a RMA rate of 110%, i.e. every single model had been in for repairs, and some had gone in a second time. They did get some better models right after, but it was too late, the damage had been done, and they went belly up. Just for clarification, it was a danish company called Zepto.

It's sounds like those ram sticks were stiched together with duct tape with modules scrapped out of the discard bin of a manufacturer in China.

Yesh 110% failure rate that's insane.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's exactly to get around this argument, as the company could claim it was only worth 20% of its original value, while the customer would claim 60%. This would drag on and on, as there would never be a clear index to look at, as time isn't the only factor. How much would the price go down, if it has one scratch? Or two? Or if it had a dent and a scratch? The cycle is endless.

In that case, the customer got a phone that worths more than what he traded his in was...

Think of it like consumables, if someone tried to return food that's out of date (due to their fault, not yours), would you accept it?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

How is that fair?

If you get a warranty is precisely to assure your product will work for a certain amount of time: the agreement it's 500 USD for a phone that should last a full year in perfect working order with maybe the exception of the battery (Since we know those do degrade over time and according to use)

If your device keeps breaking it doesn't matters if Apple dropped the price to 300 bucks 9 months after you purchased your device (extreme it's just for the sake of the example) you paid 500 for a product that should be good for one year you should be compensated for the full 500 if Apple cannot either replace it (with a new one if it's been repaired twice according to this law) or otherwise pay up.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, DozerKitty said:

thats why we use the similar product thing, everyone knows a 4s is closer to the 4 than the new iphone 7. And everyone knows a Iphone 3s is worse.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

In that case, the customer got a phone that worths more than what he traded his in was...

Think of it like consumables, if someone tried to return food that's out of date (due to their fault, not yours), would you accept it?

You can't compare the two. A phone has no expiration date.

When you buy a product, you expect it to continue working as it should for 2 years, unless it's being mistreated. 

1 minute ago, QBtech said:

thats why we use the similar product thing, everyone knows a 4s is closer to the 4 than the new iphone 7. And everyone knows a Iphone 3s is worse.

This is strictly talking about the warranty Apple and the consumer agree upon: usually the default one for one year only after that it isn't relevant unless apple sold an extended warranty on top then in that case it is their fault for trusting on their tech too much.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

"Apple. Coming up with new innovative ways of ripping people off"

AluminiumTech 2016

Cv2nNuLWgAAv2gN.jpg

2 minutes ago, QBtech said:

Yes, but most of the products that runs into errors are within a year. In this year, there wouldn't come a huge groundbreaking new item, so your argument is kinda invalid ;) There's 6 years between the two models.

1 minute ago, bigneo said:

Cv2nNuLWgAAv2gN.jpg

I've seen this picture floating around a lot since yesterday. I haven't read anything about the new MacBook series. What is this punning? :D

2 minutes ago, DozerKitty said:

Yes, but most of the products that runs into errors are within a year. In this year, there wouldn't come a huge groundbreaking new item, so your argument is kinda invalid ;) There's 6 years between the two models.

Ofc it is, but you know what I mean. There are some products (ssds/PSUs etc) that have a 5-10 yr warranty on them.

In a way Apple should dig in their warehouse and find a worthless *new* 4s and throw it this guys way

I've seen this picture floating around a lot since yesterday. I haven't read anything about the new MacBook series. What is this punning? :D

Apple removed the function row and replaced it with an OLED touch bar (that has an esc key on it), and you can also remap the esc (by default) to one of numerous physical keys in Sierra. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

recently i got my iphone repaired (because i threw it at a wall)

it came with ios 9.3.4 and i had to go through the setup process

after that, i restored from a backup. it now runs ios 10.1..

however, i keep getting a popup to login from a something@icloud.com 

restore again and it went away

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Apple removed the function row and replaced it with an OLED touch bar (that has an esc key on it), and you can also remap the esc (by default) to one of numerous physical keys in Sierra. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, QBtech said:

Ofc it is, but you know what I mean. There are some products (ssds/PSUs etc) that have a 5-10 yr warranty on them.

That's from the manufacturer. That's completely different from local laws in countries. A company can claim to only have a 6-month warranty, but if they sell that product in Denmark, it gets a 2-year warranty, no matter what the company claims.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Ah, now it makes sense. Thank you :D

Talk about form over function and having no escape xD

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's from the manufacturer. That's completely different from local laws in countries. A company can claim to only have a 6-month warranty, but if they sell that product in Denmark, it gets a 2-year warranty, no matter what the company claims.

If a company advertises a 10 yr warranty it is just as binding as law. At least in NL that is xD

Or you can buy the USB ESC button for $69.99 lol

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Talk about form over function and having no escape xD

I'd have to disagree about the form over function part. A customizable bar adds a lot more functionality than a function row. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler