Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoNeedSteve

Custom PC under $400?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I haven't made a PC in a while but I want to make one for my mom for Christmas. Any suggestions? She would be using it for web browsing and Facebook but she does like lots of tabs so maybe a good amount of RAM? I really don't want to spend more than $400 and if at all possible a DVD drive would be nice. 

 

Thanks in advance! 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this build I recently recommended for someone with similar circumstances: 

 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Md8x9W

 

It's just under $400, but that's after $75 in mail-in rebates. If you're ok with that, I think this is a good value for $400.


Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to post
Share on other sites

If she's not gaming a Pentium and 8gb of ram should cut it.


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and two Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Northgate Omnikey Ultra Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL with stitched edge Headset:  Sennheiser HD598SE

 

I like old-ass keyboards, Volvos, Thinkpads, and fountain pens.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If she's not gaming a Pentium and 8gb of ram should cut it.

 

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If she's not gaming a Pentium and 8gb of ram should cut it.

I don't want it to be sluggish though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoNeedSteve said:

 

I don't want it to be sluggish though.

 
 

It shouldn't be, but get an i3 if you want


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and two Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Northgate Omnikey Ultra Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL with stitched edge Headset:  Sennheiser HD598SE

 

I like old-ass keyboards, Volvos, Thinkpads, and fountain pens.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NoNeedSteve said:

I haven't made a PC in a while but I want to make one for my mom for Christmas. Any suggestions? She would be using it for web browsing and Facebook but she does like lots of tabs so maybe a good amount of RAM? I really don't want to spend more than $400 and if at all possible a DVD drive would be nice. 

 

Thanks in advance! 👍

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2sZrcc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2sZrcc/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.00 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $413.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 20:53 EDT-0400


Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

 

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I have this build I recently recommended for someone with similar circumstances: 

 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Md8x9W

 

It's just under $400, but that's after $75 in mail-in rebates. If you're ok with that, I think this is a good value for $400.

I like that. I'll keep this in mind! 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Then an i3

Why not an i5? it fits. 


Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

 

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2sZrcc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2sZrcc/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.00 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $413.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 20:53 EDT-0400

I like this one too. i5 would be nice but is it overkill?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NoNeedSteve said:

I like this one too. i5 would be nice but is it overkill?

I don't think so. If you have a lot of programs open it takes up CPU and RAM. 

Not to mention that it makes certain it can run well for a long time. 

 

Also you could totally stick a GPU in here later for gaming if you wanted. 


Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

 

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NoNeedSteve said:

 

I don't want it to be sluggish though.

 

Just now, Stardar1 said:

I don't think so. If you have a lot of programs open it takes up CPU and RAM. 

Not to mention that it makes certain it can run well for a long time. 

 

Also you could totally stick a GPU in here later for gaming if you wanted. 

the cpu doesnt make a computer slow when its only used for web browsing. browsers arent very well multithreaded anyways, so even a pentium is fine. if you want fast, get an ssd. i doubt your mother could fill up 1tb, so a cheap 120 or 240gb one should be good


Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NoNeedSteve said:

 

I don't want it to be sluggish though.

I had a sandybridge pentium with 8gigs of ram, had no issues with multiple tabs of youtube / facebook. Heck I was even able to play games just don't expect to be able to stream anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Celeron G3900 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($42.18 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Raidmax Element Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($15.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $279.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 20:57 EDT-0400

 

Lots of room in the budget to add a GT 710 or a G4400 instead, but if all she's doing is Facebook and web browsing, this is all she needs.


Sabre - i7-8086K - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - AsRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - 250GB Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 - 1TB Inland Professional SSD - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - 4TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair RM650i - Fractal Design Meshify C White TG - Noctua NH-C14S

 

Senketsu - Ryzen 5 1600 - MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP - Gigabyte B450 AORUS M - 16GB "OEM Special" craptastic DDR4-2400 with a stunning green PCB - 500GB Dell M.2 NVMe SSD - Silverstone SF450 - ABS R206-ITX (worst/best case ever) - Wraith Spire

 

Banzai - i7-6700T - MSI RX 550 LP - Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 - 240GB Crucial M500 - Seasonic 300W Server PSU (loud af) - HP Slimline s3200n chassis - Rosewill RCX-775-LP (loud af)

 

Ok Boomer - Pentium G3258 - MSI GTX 750 Ti LP - ASUS H81M-C - 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 - Vaseky 64GB mSATA SSD - Corsair SF600 - Athenatech A100BB - Rosewill RCX-Z300 - Windows XP

Link to post
Share on other sites

all is fine, just change the PSU. You don't want components dying on you on a power surge. Check my signature and look at those at tier 3.


I currently play PUBG, help me get chicken dinner xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrM said:

doubt your mother could fill up 1tb

And, she could get an external HDD if she ever needed to, probably without needing any help!


Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($38.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) will never feel sluggish with this around. store OS here.
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) feel free to drop this if you think she doesn't need it.
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($33.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $362.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 20:59 EDT-0400


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrM said:

 

the cpu doesnt make a computer slow when its only used for web browsing. browsers arent very well multithreaded anyways, so even a pentium is fine. if you want fast, get an ssd. i doubt your mother could fill up 1tb, so a cheap 120 or 240gb one should be good

Right, but if you have a browser, MSFT word, a media player, powerpoint, oneNote, and other office programs open at once it will be worth it. 

 

You are correct though, swapping the 1TB with a 240GB SSD would be a good idea, assuming you wont store ass-loads of photos. 


Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

 

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($53.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($76.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.79 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $404.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-27 21:00 EDT-0400

 

chose a better case because i find that for ppl that aren't really spec oriented, a nice case really sums up how nice the computer is

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

Right, but if you have a browser, MSFT word, a media player, powerpoint, oneNote, and other office programs open at once it will be worth it. 

 

14 minutes ago, NoNeedSteve said:

She would be using it for web browsing and Facebook

im assuming she only uses it for the web. if she does do office work, feel free to throw in an i3/i5 then


Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

i find that for ppl that aren't really spec oriented, a nice case really sums up how nice the computer is

Excellent point. 


Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrM said:

 

im assuming she only uses it for the web. if she does do office work, feel free to throw in an i3/i5 then

There is no way on God's green earth that this woman needs an i5 xD


Sabre - i7-8086K - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - AsRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - 250GB Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 - 1TB Inland Professional SSD - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - 4TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair RM650i - Fractal Design Meshify C White TG - Noctua NH-C14S

 

Senketsu - Ryzen 5 1600 - MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP - Gigabyte B450 AORUS M - 16GB "OEM Special" craptastic DDR4-2400 with a stunning green PCB - 500GB Dell M.2 NVMe SSD - Silverstone SF450 - ABS R206-ITX (worst/best case ever) - Wraith Spire

 

Banzai - i7-6700T - MSI RX 550 LP - Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 - 240GB Crucial M500 - Seasonic 300W Server PSU (loud af) - HP Slimline s3200n chassis - Rosewill RCX-775-LP (loud af)

 

Ok Boomer - Pentium G3258 - MSI GTX 750 Ti LP - ASUS H81M-C - 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 - Vaseky 64GB mSATA SSD - Corsair SF600 - Athenatech A100BB - Rosewill RCX-Z300 - Windows XP

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aisle9 said:

There is no way on God's green earth that this woman needs an i5 xD

she probably doesnt need more than a celeron, but on the off chance that shes a pro office worker running 7 different programs at once :ph34r:


Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

how does one become a bronze contributor with only 300 posts?

With $5.


Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×