Internet of Things

Sir Asvald
2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's called big data.

They don't care about you. They care about the mass collection of telemetry and statistics.

The thing on the other end is literally a bunch of servers that store and calculate stuff based on the data of billions of people.

There is no human that will go look at what personal information is yours.

Only a machine does, and it does not care about who you are.

Until the data gets into the wrong hands and affects you in a negative way. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

30 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Do you really think your fridge cares about your personal information?

I am sure that Samsung and Amazon sells the information from your Smart Fridge about what you eat and personal info about yourself.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Of course IoT devices don't mean things like smart home stuff, but the idea of being connected, despite my love of technology and such, doesn't appeal to me. As the old folks would say, we were fine without these things.

Exactly. Most IoT devices are just curiosities and nothing more: they don't make the not-connected device less appealing because they don't improve what you were doing back when devices weren't connected.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Until the data gets into the wrong hands and affects you in a negative way. 

You could say that about anything. "oh no the police has my address and fingerprints and SSN what if it gets stolen oh noes lets all be paranoid and panick!!11"

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I am sure that Samsung and Amazon sells the information from your Smart Fridge about what you eat and personal info about yourself.

Because the only food I eat is refrigerated food, right? LOL

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You could say that about anything. "oh no the police has my address and fingerprints and SSN what if it gets stolen oh noes lets all be paranoid and panick!!11"

That's actually a valid concern considering Police databases are pitifully insecure. 

But yes, you can say that about anything, but why add more things that can be compromised. That's like saying since restaurants likely serve you with utencils that fell on the disgusting floor that you may as well do that at home too since you're willing to eat at a restaurant.

Control what you can, settle for everything else. I'm not saying one shouldn't use IoT devices, just that there are potential "issues" with doing so. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I'm sure that, for a lot of people, most of their food is in their fridge/freezer.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's actually a valid concern considering Police databases are pitifully insecure. 

But yes, you can say that about anything, but why add more things that can be compromised. That's like saying since restaurants likely serve you with utencils that fell on the disgusting floor that you may as well do that at home too since you're willing to eat at a restaurant.

Control what you can, settle for everything else. I'm not saying one shouldn't use IoT devices, just that there are potential "issues" with doing so. 

There are "potential issues" with literally everything in life.

There are plenty of things more important than some data server knowing what is in your fridge.

This paranoia that people have over the internet is just as bad as being a germophobe. At some point you will be too scared to leave your house (or in this case connect to the internet) because of all the bad things that you think can happen.

5 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I'm sure that, for a lot of people, most of their food is in their fridge/freezer.

??????
Are you kidding?

You think the fridge and freezer is the place where most food is stored??

What kind of place do you live in???

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

??????
Are you kidding?

You think the fridge and freezer is the place where most food is stored??

What kind of place do you live in???

Not everybody is Enderman. I know, it's crazy to think.

Lots of my food is stored in cupboards. But I'm sane and know that not everybody is a carbon copy of me and my lifestyle.

And if you're using your smart fridge to order food, you're probably ordering more than refrigerated food. They probably won't be actually looking into your fridge, that's dumb. They just look at what you order. That whole Amazon service.

You seem super passionate about this topic. I'll leave now.