ST2000DM006 vs ST2000DM001

I've been looking for a reliable 2TB HD for a while now upon searching, I came up with the two variants of Seagate ST2000DM006 and Seagate ST2000DM001.

I'm a bit confused on which one is better. As everyone I'm looking for a reliable HD which will not fail right after the warranty period is over.

I came around a lot of negativity towards Seagate, that their drives fails way too frequently and is not reliable at all. Personally I've been using Western Digital since I started using computers and that was 8 years ago and till date none my drives failed me [although in one of the drive I found 8 bad sectors], but 2 out of my 3 WD Blue 320GB are working flawlessly.

So my question here is from above mentioned Seagate variants which one is better? If you guys can please mention some other drive which is more reliable that Seagate.

The ST2000DM006 is the newer version of the  ST2000DM001

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

3 minutes ago, jools said:

Toshiba,hgst,samsung Japanese/Korean for reliability

Can you post or mention few of the drives. I mean with model.

ST2000DM006 is the new Barracuda, but it has 3 platters whereas the old drive (DM001) has 2. Less platters is usually preferable. The new version with 2 platters is the ST2000DM007.

Hard drives are a gamble, there are no significantly better brands than the rest in terms of reliability.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

2 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

ST2000DM006 is the new Barracuda, but it has 3 platters whereas the old drive (DM001) has 2. Less platters is usually preferable. The new version with 2 platters is the ST2000DM007.

Hard drives are a gamble, there are no significantly better brands than the rest in terms of reliability.

So what do you think would be a good buy now?

6 minutes ago, Gautam.Dey said:

So what do you think would be a good buy now?

If they are the same price and have the same warranty, I'd personally pick up the DM001, mainly because it's a 2 platter drive.

Unless there's a way of finding out which DM006 drive are you going to get, since the specsheet specifies it can be 3 platter, 6 head or 2 platter, 4 head.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Just now, Pandalf said:

If they are the same price and have the same warranty, I'd personally pick up the DM001, mainly because it's a 2 platter drive.

Unless there's a way of finding out which DM006 drive are you going to get, since the specsheet specifies it can be 3 platter, 6 head or 2 platter, 4 head.

Thanks for the info.

11 minutes ago, jools said:

By looking at the report I'm sticking with WD Blue 2TB [Yeah have to sacrifice on the speed @ 5400 RPM] I was gonna use the drive as a backup only and the drive will stay plugged to my PC and files will be stored there and accessed from time to time.
Like watching a movie or installing a game from that drive to my WD 320GB drives.