Vessel acquired and shut down by Verizon

ExplodingTNT
3 hours ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

Buying competition and then shutting it down is bullshit. That should be illegal.

Once you buy something you can do whatever you want with it. If you buy a used car from someone should they still be able to dictate how you drive or what you do with the car after you pay them?

Nobody forced Vessel to sell. If they believed that their platform was growing and they believed it would be more profitable for them to retain ownership they would have.

If I had built something that one of the big boys wanted it'd really be hard to not cash out and enjoy an easy life of retirement.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Once you buy something you can do whatever you want with it. If you buy a used car from someone should they still be able to dictate how you drive or what you do with the car after you pay them?

Nobody forced Vessel to sell. If they believed that their platform was growing and they believed it would be more profitable for them to retain ownership they would have.

If I had built something that one of the big boys wanted it'd really be hard to not cash out and enjoy an easy life of retirement.

Actually, business works in different ways to private citizens.  https://www.vessel.com/blog read the actual blog

8 minutes ago, 226477_1454181668 said:

https://www.vessel.com/blog

title is wrong, it has been bought, but is not down. It isnt going to. 

I feel like you didn't read that blog.

Though the team and the actual tech + product will live on at Verizon in ways that will become apparent in the months and years ahead, sadly we will be sunsetting the Vessel service at the end of this month (October 31)

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Just now, Pomfinator said:

I feel like you didn't read that blog.

Though the team and the actual tech + product will live on at Verizon in ways that will become apparent in the months and years ahead, sadly we will be sunsetting the Vessel service at the end of this month (October 31)

Nah, I have a feeling it wont last. Verizon would not just buy a company that rivals youtube for no reason. Another sight will be up within a year. 

Part of me is happy that we won't have delayed videos anymore but the other part of me is sad that LTT will probably lose funding from Vessel, excited to hear about this on tomorrow's WAN Show.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

1 minute ago, 1823alex said:

Part of me is happy that we won't have delayed videos anymore but the other part of me is sad that LTT will probably lose funding from Vessel, excited to hear about this on tomorrow's WAN Show.

They have contracts, probably for 2 years from when they started using vessel. They will get money for the contract ending, probably enough to find another income source. 

1 minute ago, 226477_1454181668 said:

Actually, business works in different ways to private citizens.  https://www.vessel.com/blog read the actual blog

Well yeah in the corporate world there are things like contracts and the owners of Vessel could have stipulated that the service stay active for a set amount of time if they wanted to and if Verizon thought it was still worth it they would have proceeded.

It's obvious that business deals are dealt with differently than private business due to various laws and regulations. Vessel could have stated that the service be kept active for X amount of time in their agreement and if Verizon felt it was still worth the deal they would have still purchased it, but that's not how it happened. I was just making that analogy for the person who said buying companies and shutting them down should be illegal.

Lmao at the people acting like Vessel was bought against their will. Verizon didn't force Vessel owners into anything. Vessel chose to sell to Verizon because they obviously felt it was the most viable option for them.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

@nicklmg I was about to subscribe to Vessel to get LMG content early. Please let us know what LMG is going to do going forward as soon as you can.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

20 hours ago, Raggou said:

Wonder what they are going to do about their week of buffered content when Vessel goes offline 

Take a week off :P. They could use the extra week to make a different time consuming video or try something different.

On 10/26/2016 at 4:37 PM, stuntguy3000 said:

Maybe YouTube Red might be utilized by LTT as a replacement for this? 

But why would Verizon shut down Vessel, as far as I am aware they don't have competing products. 

verizon has go90 US only content streaming I think it was acquired when they bought yahoo

http://www.recode.net/2016/7/27/12303084/what-is-verizon-go90-faq

good thing LTT's twitch channel just got partnered!

Spoiler

/s

Now it's interesting that Verizon would just buy Vessel and only to shut it down.  Does this mean Verizon is going roll out its own video service and only bought Vessel for the infrastructure?  Verizon must've paid a good price considering that Vessel would rather cash out, which means Vessel hasn't been doing as well as they had hoped.

Just got my Vessel refund, that was fast.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

16 minutes ago, pk-man said:

good thing LTT's twitch channel just got partnered!

Reveal hidden contents

/s

Now it's interesting that Verizon would just buy Vessel and only to shut it down.  Does this mean Verizon is going roll out its own video service and only bought Vessel for the infrastructure?  Verizon must've paid a good price considering that Vessel would rather cash out, which means Vessel hasn't been doing as well as they had hoped.

Verizon HAS their own video service.  It is crap and they are having a very hard time gaining decent traction.  I am very disappointed with this news.  I loved getting unique content from vessel.    

22 hours ago, Geek95 said:

It would be bad if Verizon finds someway of keeping any Vessel contracts valid and transfer them to go90

Yes, it would be very bad, since go90 is literally only available in the USA. At least YouTube Red is available in a few countries, even if Canada isn't one of them. go90 is not an option from an audience point-of-view, unless they plan on opening it up to non-US residents.

20 hours ago, zMeul said:

AT&T gets HBO (+the rest), Verizon gets Vessel

what's next? Alibaba gets YouTube?!?!

SHHHHH! Pipe down over there! What, do you want them to hear you or something? Yikes.

Next thing you know, Rakuten will attempt a buyout of both eBay and Amazon at the same time. :P

20 hours ago, Bsmith said:

damn.... I wonder what LMG will do now as second platform, vimeo? patron after all?(not really viable) more commercials?

Vimeo is a woefully underrated platform IMO - in fact, if more content creators used it I'd have happily paid for Vimeo Pro years ago.

Video quality can be streamed in it's RAW ORIGINAL MOV format, if exported correctly, unlike YouTube which re-encodes even if you export to their standards.

Their mobile app is decent, and a ton of Independent filmmakers already use the platform for its' more professional interface.

9 hours ago, Camofelix said:

--SNIP--
Also I realize this may be comping dangerously close to things under an NDA, if you can't answer/ don't want to have it overly public, could we speak about it over Pm?

FYI, assuming there is an NDA, @nicklmgsending you a PM about it would technically still be in violation of said NDA, so, um, yeah...

Good that he can share what he has with us so far though, even though a lot of it's all public info from Vessel. :) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

This Vessel stuff is really sad..  I hate the ongoing vertical integrations al the big up ups is doing, and now Vessel who's always worked really well for Me and many others fell prey to a big company, despite record earnings!

We've YouTube red in Sweden, but they chose to integrate it another way to where we have to pay ~$2.30 (American) per video we want to watch on it (or is this some kinda PPV bullshit that some channels do? Or rather YouTUbe makes accessible on a PPV basis from their RED program? turns out youtube.se/red says there's as yet no YTR here.. confusing), so imagine having to do that with each video LTT releases to get access to content a week early .. That's $839 .. and I'm not willing to throw that much money at LTT no matter how good their content are .. $10 a month however is fine, it'd extend into my current Google apps and google music subscriptions anyway so the added cost isn't that great with YTR for us.

@nicklmg Will the vessel exclusive series "Nerd Sports" be uploaded elsewhere after Vessel has been shut down? Or do contracts prevent this from being able to happen.

4 hours ago, Crashbash111 said:

@nicklmg Will the vessel exclusive series "Nerd Sports" be uploaded elsewhere after Vessel has been shut down? Or do contracts prevent this from being able to happen.

Nope. It won't happen since LMG doesn't own Nerdsports. They were just "facilitated" it.

Verizon "owns" it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well RIP 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400