Vessel acquired and shut down by Verizon

ExplodingTNT
6 hours ago, ExplodingTNT said:

YouTube Red isn't even available in le Canadia so I don't see how LMG would sign up, seeing that they are located in Canada...

PewDiePie's base in the United Kingdom but united Kingdom still doesn't have access to YouTube red but pews still makes YouTube red content

Damn it, I actually liked Vessel and preferred watching videos on there rather than youtube. I also appreciated the higher bit rate, youtube video quality is not that great, 1080p/4k in resolution only certainly no where close in actual quality.

5 hours ago, Enderman said:

There are several thousand people still using vessel, and that makes LMG almost as much money as the hundreds of thousands that watch on youtube.

They did a breakdown video of where their money comes from. Not *that* much came from Vessel, but was still a substantial amount, it was 10% (EDIT: closer to 20%) or so if I recall correctly. LMG is set up very well to take the hit though, they've done a great job at diversifying - they're not dependent on any one platform.

AT&T gets HBO (+the rest), Verizon gets Vessel

what's next? Alibaba gets YouTube?!?!

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

I'm wondering what they are getting out of the deal. It seems to me like that's pretty wasteful:

"I know!!! Let's spend a few hundred million dollars buying this company!!"... "OK!!!! That sounds GREAT!!! We can then shut it down for no apparent reason!!!"

Verizon is planning to integrate what vessel hat to their online video service. They also keep all of the developers and programmers who worked at Vessel.
Everyone wants what Netflixs has.
That is also why ATT bough Time Warner to get access to all of there content.

Personally these companies are getting to big. It is a terrible situation when 1 company owns the content, distributes the contents and provides the infrastructure to deliver the content to the end users.
It is getting to be a scary situation.

7 hours ago, stuntguy3000 said:

Maybe YouTube Red might be utilized by LTT as a replacement for this? 

But why would Verizon shut down Vessel, as far as I am aware they don't have competing products. 

YT Red isnt availible in all regions yet. So no, i dont think so

damn.... I wonder what LMG will do now as second platform, vimeo? patron after all?(not really viable) more commercials?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I actually grew to like Vessel after the free 1 year subscription I ended up paying for it. I don't understand, do Verizon have some service that is competing with Vessel? Pretty annoyed that a cool startup has to get bought out and shut down by a massive corporation. Not to mention all the content creators who will lose a significant amount of revenue because of the shutdown, it would be good if Linus made a video about it.

I paid for Vessel around Nerdsport time and I like it as a platform. From it I found other stuff to watch too, which I will now need to see where else they exist on 'tube or whatever. The cost of Vessel to me seemed low for what was offered. Was there really enough cash to go around the infrastructure and creators? I guess not...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

While I'll miss it, it's highly unlikely that Vessel was a profitable company and would've stayed alive on its own for much longer. The company was likely about to go bust and they sold off the technology to verizon save their arses. There are very few video on demand platforms out there that actually turn a profit. YouTube with a revenue of 4$ billion barely manages to break even after leading the market for so many years.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

I guess it's time for people to be considerate to creators by disabling AdBlock or any ad blocking service while using YouTube.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

33 minutes ago, 226477_1454181668 said:

thats pretty much ANTI capitalism, why isn't the US governmant doing anything??

Ever heard of "Laissez Faire"?

IMG_4925.PNG

3 hours ago, haloharry97 said:

PewDiePie's base in the United Kingdom but united Kingdom still doesn't have access to YouTube red but pews still makes YouTube red content

Compare the demographic of LinusTechTips and PewDiePie, one is about how to videos and tech reviews while thw other one is all about shouting while game streaming. Also, compare their subscriber count:

LTT is around 3.2 million subscribers whereas Felix has roughly 49 million subscribers. It doesn't matter to him if YouTube Red isn't available in UK if he has a lot of viewers in the US.

12 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I guess it's time for people to be considerate to creators by disabling AdBlock or any ad blocking service while using YouTube.

Lol. No. YouTube ADs are annoying as hell.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

17 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Ever heard of "Laissez Faire"?

IMG_4925.PNG

That would make sense, if the us governmant was, but look at abortion laws, trade, and regulations. 

1d293s.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I hope LTT provides an alternative way to watch the videos outside YouTube now that Vessel is going. I wouldn't mind paying monthly for the content even if it was available somehow through the forum in a paid subscriber only section of some sort. I feel like the only reason why Vessel failed is because of the lack of content on it (daily Vessel user here).

Not surprised, 70% or more of internet startups are just honey pots for buyouts, they never intended to provide a service for long anyway, just bait someone to fill their pockets with quick cash.

I never subscribe to anything based in USA for this reason, as USA has almost zero legislation against such mispractice.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

6 hours ago, AxelRantila said:

Sucks to see this happening.

However, no android app for a long time is what made Vessel more or less dead on arrival for me. When LMG launched there, the place where I watched most of my LMG content was on my android phone

they always had a android app? I have been using it since they launched 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

12 hours ago, stuntguy3000 said:

But why would Verizon shut down Vessel, as far as I am aware they don't have competing products. 

Maybe it's not very profitable.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's bad news for LMG and the subscribers of Vessel, at least the revenue of LMG is very diverse. 

The timed exclusive content was a little annoying, though  (but I understand why they have done it). 

I didn't renew my subscription after the free year, because I didn't feel like that was better than YouTube. At that time, Vessel didn't support any higher resolution than 1080p and the UI wasn't that great. The only good thing was the ad free. 

I really want to know what will happen with LTT videos on Vessel now. 

I wonder if this means Nerd Sports is lost...

According to a tweet from Linus, vessel owns the rights to Nerd Sports.

But because Verizon now owns Vessel, and also owns the right to Nerd Sports, the only hope is that for some reason verizon decides to host the video's somehow?

Unless Linus gets the rights of Nerd Sports, which i doubt.

And even if Verizon decides to host Nerd Sports i probably won't get to see it because well, USA...

I don't live there soo yea...

RIP Nerd Sports?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, LastThoughts said:

That's bad news for LMG and the subscribers of Vessel, at least the revenue of LMG is very diverse. 

The timed exclusive content was a little annoying, though  (but I understand why they have done it). 

I didn't renew my subscription after the free year, because I didn't feel like that was better than YouTube. At that time, Vessel didn't support any higher resolution than 1080p and the UI wasn't that great. The only good thing was the ad free. 

I really want to know what will happen with LTT videos on Vessel now. 

Normal LTT video's eventually end up on youtube so that's not a problem.

Without Vessel we would just get a brand new video every day that isn't released previously on a different platform.

We shouldn't worry, i think it's nice that this means the LMG are now 7 days of work ahead so they can turn it down a notch for a while. :) Maybe they can do things now they couldn't do before because it would take too much time.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

29 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

they always had a android app? I have been using it since they launched 

Vessel did not have an Android app when LTT started publishing videos there.

Which is why Vessel was dead on arrival for me, since Android was where I watched a majority of LTT videos at the time.