Should I be worried?

14 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

The most powerful machine in my Folding@home setup is only using a single stock CPU cooler and whatever fans came with the graphics card. The case as a single small fan in the front that doesn't seem to be doing much. The case was not hot, but warmer than I'd like, with noticeably hot air coming out. Since I lack case fans I have one of these in the back pointed at the case's rear fan holes (which have no mounted fan):

8 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I just turned the fans back on again a few minutes ago. It was sitting at 88 C on the hottest core! 

Now it's at 60 C.

Np, you should not be worried. Even at 88 C under full load, that's pretty good. You should not be worried at all. I bet cleaning that thing is a real pain though.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Np, you should not be worried. Even at 88 C under full load, that's pretty good. You should not be worried at all. I bet cleaning that thing is a real pain though.

88C under load is not "pretty good", it's boderline dangerous for long term 24/7 crunching. Even more so if he's got a locked CPU and is running a rather weak test such as F@H (which, let's face, it's not very intensive on the CPU at all).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

88C under load is not "pretty good", it's boderline dangerous for long term 24/7 crunching. Even more so if he's got a locked CPU and is running a rather weak test such as F@H (which, let's face, it's not very intensive on the CPU at all).

Small footnote: 88 C was the hottest core, not the average for the CPU. Not sure if that matters. :S

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

Small footnote: 88 C was the hottest core, not the average for the CPU. Not sure if that matters. :S

Not really, it's still hotter than we'd like. Give it a summer day and it's only going to get worse.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!