Should I be worried?

The most powerful machine in my Folding@home setup is only using a single stock CPU cooler and whatever fans came with the graphics card. The case as a single small fan in the front that doesn't seem to be doing much. The case was not hot, but warmer than I'd like, with noticeably hot air coming out. Since I lack case fans I have one of these in the back pointed at the case's rear fan holes (which have no mounted fan):

Image result for yellow floor fan

and a small table fan sucking out air from a side vent. Is this a good idea or am I asking for trouble? 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Could you provide a picture of the actual setup please? 

You seem to have a lot of interesting computer setups, I'd like to see them.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Don't use the "air is hot" metric, humans are super sensitive when it comes to heat. All you've gotta ask yourself is: what are the CPU and GPU(s) temps after a while of full load crunch (and, by extension, what are said CPU and GPU)?

Find out which temp is it running at and then we'll be able to tell you if you should be worried or not.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Could you provide a picture of the actual setup please? 

Please ignore the mess. I'm a messy person, don't judge me!IMG_20161025_184945766.jpg

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Don't use the "air is hot" metric, humans are super sensitive when it comes to heat. All you've gotta ask yourself is: what are the CPU and GPU(s) temps after a while of full load crunch (and, by extension, what are said CPU and GPU)?

Find out which temp is it running at and then we'll be able to tell you if you should be worried or not.

Right, right. Um, how would one test the temps? Hypothetically? Just to make sure...

2 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Please ignore the mess. I'm a messy person, don't judge me!

why is that side fan pointed at a side panel with no air vents (from what I see)?

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

why is that side fan pointed at a side panel with no air vents?

Oh there is a vent there. It's behind the fan. I'd say it's about 4 inches. 

2 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Right, right. Um, how would one test the temps? Hypothetically? Just to make sure...

MSI afterburner

How you cool the setup doesn't really matter... what matters are the temps that your cooling system achieves.  How hot are the CPU and GPU under load?  These numbers will either be OK or not, and nothing else really matters.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

HWMonitor. Minimize the HD / SSD useless info, take a print and post here for us to see.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

MSI afterburner

Thank you. My temps, with this current setup are: 

foldingtemps.png

3 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

71 C on the GPU is just fine.  They will start to limit themselves at 83 (iirc) but even that is far from damaging (though you'd be best to avoid holding them at that 24/7 for the sake of longevity)

How about CPU now?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I set up the fans about 20 minutes ago, I will turn them off for a while and see where it goes in temps. 

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

Okay, GPU is fine. 71C is a very nice temp, you can let it heat up further. Now all that's left is the CPU part

Oh, and just as a warning, your 970 is running at lower RAM clock that what it was supposed to. It should run at 3506, not 3004. To fix it, download Nvidia Inspector and on the OC tab, change the dropdown at the top to P2, slide the vRAM speed from 3004 to the max 3506 limit and then hit apply. You've gotta do that everytime you reboot your PC or install a new driver version. Alternatively, flash a custom BIOS to your GPU (that was my solution to the problem).

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Okay, GPU is fine. 71C is a very nice temp, you can let it heat up further. Now all that's left is the CPU part

Oh, and just as a warning, your 970 is running at lower RAM clock that what it was supposed to. It should run at 3506, not 3004. To fix it, download Nvidia Inspector and on the OC tab, change the dropdown at the top to P2, slide the vRAM speed from 3004 to the max 3506 limit and then hit apply. You've gotta do that everytime you reboot your PC or install a new driver version. Alternatively, flash a custom BIOS to your GPU (that was my solution to the problem).

Oh, thank you! I had no idea, I rarely use this rig.

tempswithfanson.png

I will turn off the external fans and report back later with the change. If I don't need these fans then why waste the power?

It's been a few hours with the fans off, here are my temps now. Still safe? @Imakuni @Ryan_Vickers @suchamoneypit

tempswithfansooff.png

59 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

It's been a few hours with the fans off, here are my temps now. Still safe? @Imakuni @Ryan_Vickers @suchamoneypit

Safe?  Yes.  Ideal?  Not so much... personally I'd like to get that CPU down a bit but those are what I would expect to see on the stock cooler in your situation.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Safe?  Yes.  Ideal?  Not so much... personally I'd like to get that CPU down a bit but those are what I would expect to see on the stock cooler in your situation.

Then I guess I should use the fans. :/

3 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Then I guess I should use the fans. :/

that or upgrade the cooler if you can.  Like I said, you don't have to, but it would be nice to not run it at 80 C

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

that or upgrade the cooler if you can.  Like I said, you don't have to, but it would be nice to not run it at 80 C

I just turned the fans back on again a few minutes ago. It was sitting at 88 C on the hottest core! 

Now it's at 60 C.

1 hour ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I just turned the fans back on again a few minutes ago. It was sitting at 88 C on the hottest core! 

Now it's at 60 C.

How about just taking off the side panel? That should do it for airflow.

18 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

How about just taking off the side panel? That should do it for airflow.

I have cats. I don't want them messing up my rig, or vice versa. :S

6 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Now it's at 60 C.

Well that's a substantial improvement.  I would feel perfectly fine with 60 as a 24/7 temp.