Schiit magni, +modi?

spwath

So I'm going to get a schiit magni 2 for $75 (yes onboard is not loud enough) and I was wondering,  should I pick up a modi 2 for only $50 more? My onboard is fine,  but I could complete the stack for cheap. ..

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 minutes ago, spwath said:

So I'm going to get a schiit magni 2 for $75 (yes onboard is not loud enough) and I was wondering,  should I pick up a modi 2 for only $50 more? My onboard is fine,  but I could complete the stack for cheap. ..

If you can get them for that low of a price, I would just go for it, personally. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

i'd just get the modi 2 uber, it's worth the upgrade.

honestly id get both ubers, cause the Modi 2 Uber is now shipping the the AKM4490 which is the same chip in the Bifrost.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

1 minute ago, Gofspar said:

i'd just get the modi 2 uber, it's worth the upgrade.

honestly id get both ubers, cause the Modi 2 Uber is now shipping the the AKM4490 which is the same chip in the Bifrost.

Get both ubers, which is this case, are double and triple the cost of what he would be paying for his gear? Or in the case of the multibit, 5 times the price?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Get both ubers, which is this case, are double and triple the cost of what he would be paying for his gear? Or in the case of the multibit, 5 times the price?

The one reason I wouldent get the modi with it is because of the modi multibit that i might want to try. but 50 vs 250 is a big difference...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

i would say go for it 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

4 minutes ago, spwath said:

The one reason I wouldent get the modi with it is because of the modi multibit that i might want to try. but 50 vs 250 is a big difference...

I mean, according to Zreviews, he can't tell the difference between the bifrost multibit and any other DAC out there, so there's that. 

I've also tried the Yggdrasil, and I can't say it sounded particularly different from the DAC that was built into the amp I was listening to.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I mean, according to Zreviews, he can't tell the difference between the bifrost multibit and any other DAC out there, so there's that. 

I've also tried the Yggdrasil, and I can't say it sounded particularly different from the DAC that was built into the amp I was listening to.

But thats Zreviews...

But your experinece with the yggdrasil, idk....

I guess ill just go with the cheap modi for now, dont need anything crazzy

Go for it

I would get them again at that price i sold mine for full price

Just now, spwath said:

But thats Zreviews...

But your experinece with the yggdrasil, idk....

I guess ill just go with the cheap modi for now, dont need anything crazzy

Yeah. I mean, even if there is any difference, it's going to be extremely slight, and you likely wouldn't notice it without a TOTL pair of headphones or speakers anyway.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

Yeah. I mean, even if there is any difference, it's going to be extremely slight, and you likely wouldn't notice it without a TOTL pair of headphones or speakers anyway.

Yeah, I just have modded T50RP's and decent speakers.

So ill stick with the basic stack. Wish it was the uber to have pre outs, but whatever.

1 minute ago, spwath said:

Yeah, I just have modded T50RP's and decent speakers.

So ill stick with the basic stack. Wish it was the uber to have pre outs, but whatever.

The thing I don't like about the Schiit pre outs is that (to my knowledge) they don't turn off when you plug headphones in. So in the case of powered speakers, you'll have to reach around back in order to turn them off...

That's why I'd rather have dedicated out, going to an analog potentiometer. In the case of the modi, you could even use a selectable RCA input box, and a potentiometer.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

The thing I don't like about the Schiit pre outs is that (to my knowledge) they don't turn off when you plug headphones in. So in the case of powered speakers, you'll have to reach around back in order to turn them off...

That's why I'd rather have dedicated out, going to an analog potentiometer. In the case of the modi, you could even use a selectable RCA input box, and a potentiometer.

OK, so i guess the pre outs would not be that helpfull then. Ill probably just make a switcher box thingy

Just now, spwath said:

OK, so i guess the pre outs would not be that helpfull then. Ill probably just make a switcher box thingy

Yup!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

2 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

The thing I don't like about the Schiit pre outs is that (to my knowledge) they don't turn off when you plug headphones in.

Your knowledge is flawed.

7 hours ago, SSL said:

Your knowledge is flawed.

Really,  I thought I remember that being true

4 hours ago, spwath said:

Really,  I thought I remember that being true

Guess who owns the M2U and can read a manual.

33 minutes ago, SSL said:

Guess who owns the M2U and can read a manual.

I'm going to say you. 

Either way, the one I'm buying isn't Uber,  so the point is moot. 

Ordered just the magni because I didn't have enough $$ in paypal. And the modibit intrigues me (that's a better name than modby or moby.)

54 minutes ago, spwath said:

Ordered just the magni because I didn't have enough $$ in paypal. And the modibit intrigues me (that's a better name than modby or moby.)

I've been thinking about ordering the Jody next week, since my Oppo PM-3 came with a balanced cable. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

13 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I've been thinking about ordering the Jody next week, since my Oppo PM-3 came with a balanced cable. 

Yeah, seems like a great amp from the measurements and impressions I saw. 

Just now, spwath said:

Yeah, seems like a great amp from the measurements and impressions I saw. 

For sure. I only wish that I still had my HE-500 so I could make them as loud as I want... I guess I'll have to see about getting an HE-500 or HE-6 next month...

Just means I'll have to do the mod into the HE-560 housing again, so I can have them be a little more comfortable. Maybe that can wait until winter break though.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

8 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

For sure. I only wish that I still had my HE-500 so I could make them as loud as I want... I guess I'll have to see about getting an HE-500 or HE-6 next month...

Just means I'll have to do the mod into the HE-560 housing again, so I can have them be a little more comfortable. Maybe that can wait until winter break though.

Yeah,  I have my realitiblvly power hungry modded t50rp's.

On 10/25/2016 at 5:37 PM, KaminKevCrew said:

sucks being deaf. :( to me it sounded like a bright overpriced piece of shit.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

5 hours ago, Gofspar said:

sucks being deaf. :( to me it sounded like a bright overpriced piece of shit.

I'm hardly deaf, personally. Not sure which DAC you're talking about exactly though. The Yggy was also running through an audio master gd-11 (I think), and that seemed to be a darker amp overall, which I think could be the cause of my not really noticing the Yggy being bright. I have heard that the Schiit gear is often pretty bright, possibly on account of Jason Stoddard being somewhat older. At the same time though, you can't really argue with measurements, and at least the published ones for Schiit seem to be very flat, as I would expect from any DAC.

Hey! New SIgnature!