Why is my Windows 10 start menu flashing?

Bleedingyamato

Within the last 2 weeks and again just now my start menu and the life tile area has randomly started flashing.

Trying to click on the power options icon to restart doesn't do anything so I've had to use the reset button my case to restart my computer.  

Everything else on my computer seems to be fine.  It's just the start menu that is acting glitchy.

Any idea why this started happening and how to fix it?

IMG_1787.MOV

2 minutes ago, Gruenbaum said:

Possible driver issue? This one is weird

The only thing I can think of that *might* be related is I installed Malwarebytes (the paid version) and Windows Defender is on while I wait for a copy of Bitdefender to show up in the mail.   

Is the video playable?  I'm on my iPad and it doesn't work for me even though my iPad uploaded it.  ?

Possibility. If it isn't hurting anything, leave it. If it is, try to rollback the windows updates.

What video card do you have?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Sounds like a graphics driver issue, I recall someone (I think @GoodBytes ) mentioned nvidia having a glitch with one of their newest drivers and windows 10 similar in nature

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Sounds like a graphics driver issue, I recall someone (I think @GoodBytes ) mentioned nvidia having a glitch with one of their newest drivers and windows 10 similar in nature

Between myself and @GoodBytes, that would be correct - the flashing star menu bug has been around since Windows 8 back in 2012.

It's usually caused by conflicting nVidia graphics drivers, which of course, nVidia denies, and blames Microsoft. But not this time.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3134478/computers/nvidia-rushes-hotfix-after-bad-geforce-driver-broke-windows-10s-start-menu-apps.html

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

By any chance, are you running an NVidia graphics card? A recent update caused a number of problems with Live Tiles and other features that have been fixed in the most recent release.

20 minutes ago, kirashi said:

What video card do you have?

14 minutes ago, Runefox said:

By any chance, are you running an NVidia graphics card? A recent update caused a number of problems with Live Tiles and other features that have been fixed in the most recent release.

18 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

15 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Between myself and @GoodBytes, that would be correct - the flashing star menu bug has been around since Windows 8 back in 2012.

It's usually caused by conflicting nVidia graphics drivers, which of course, nVidia denies, and blames Microsoft. But not this time.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3134478/computers/nvidia-rushes-hotfix-after-bad-geforce-driver-broke-windows-10s-start-menu-apps.html

I'm using a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070.  

I just updated to the most recent driver (375.63) using GeForce Experience within the last hour or two. 

I hadny restdrted until a few minutes ago when I noticed the start menu flashing again.

Would it have taken a restart after downloading 375.63 to activate the fix for this bug?

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm using a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070.  

I just updated to the most recent driver (375.63) using GeForce Experience within the last hour or two. 

I hadny restdrted until a few minutes ago when I noticed the start menu flashing again.

Would it have taken a restart after downloading 375.63 to activate the fix for this bug?

Depending on your graphic hardware configuration, yes and no. Some cards will update the drive live, from within Windows right away.

Most though do require a full restart to properly hook the driver into Windows processes, so yeah, a restart would have been where it began for you.

12 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Depending on your graphic hardware configuration, yes and no. Some cards will update the drive live, from within Windows right away.

Most though do require a full restart to properly hook the driver into Windows processes, so yeah, a restart would have been where it began for you.

Ok.  I'll have to keep an eye on this to make sure it's really fixed.

I used to have this issue with my R9 380, it is mostly fixed since a windows updated but issues with the start button have simply shifted to different locations.

Windows 10 is defiantly a sloppy OS, even 8 had less issues. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

42 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I used to have this issue with my R9 380, it is mostly fixed since a windows updated but issues with the start button have simply shifted to different locations.

Windows 10 is defiantly a sloppy OS, even 8 had less issues. 

That's unfortunate you've had problems like this.  It's one thing when programs don't work correctly sometimes but extremely frustrating when your OS decides to have issues.

Godoka I miss Windows 7.  That was nice.  

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

That's unfortunate you've had problems like this.  It's one thing when programs don't work correctly sometimes but extremely frustrating when your OS decides to have issues.

Godoka I miss Windows 7.  That was nice.  

The start button issues arent game breaking like they used to be (for a while my search bar would not work and a few times my whole start menu literally broke. Not even the notification shade would work. Now issues are with the side UI for your pfp and the settings/power buttons. Sometimes the UI flashes or elements dont show up when you click on them) 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

The start button issues arent game breaking like they used to be (for a while my search bar would not work and a few times my whole start menu literally broke. Not even the notification shade would work. Now issues are with the side UI for your pfp and the settings/power buttons. Sometimes the UI flashes or elements dont show up when you click on them) 

Pfp?   What's that?

That thing with the power options (sleep, shutdown, restart), settings, etc. was part of the problem I was (might still be but hopefully the driver update fixed) having.  I couldn't use the power options to restart and I had to use the reset button on my case.

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Pfp?

Profile Picture for you MS account or your local account depending on how you have your system set up. 

37 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Profile Picture for you MS account or your local account depending on how you have your system set up. 

Ohhh.  Now I understand.