Freeze and lags ingame need some help

Nightsan

Hi,

I recently have some lags and freeze when I was playing overwatch and bf1.

My rig :

- FX8350

- 8GB DDR3 (16GB soon)

- GTX 1060

This pc is 4 years old and this is the first problem I encounter. This happened first when I was playing overwatch after the beta test, the fps are running at more than 100fps and are dropping to 10-20fps for a couple of second and then back to 100fps. This happen all the time and it's just awful to play like this. I have no problem with CS:GO fps between 120 and 200 but with BF1 it's the same I have the client framerate icon on the right of my screen .

I had a 280x when it started and I thought it was the graphics card so I bought a GTX 1060 but I still have the same problem.

Maybe a power problem I don't know, I recently added two SSD but a 500W power supply is more than enough no ?

Please tell me if you have any advice, I can't continue to play like this.

I thank you in advance.

And sorry if my english is bad this is not my mother tongue ^^

Well, it depends on whether or not that 500W is rated at 500W continuous at say 40 degrees Celsius, or if it's rated at 500W peak. If the latter, it might not be enough to handle all of that. But I doubt that's the case here.

The first thing I'd try is going to the NVidia Control Panel and looking under Manage 3D settings for the "Power management mode" setting. Change that to "Prefer maximum performance" and click apply.

Next, go to Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (on the selected plan) -> Change advanced power settings -> PCI Express and turn Link State Power Management off.

Now, when you load up your game, run GPU-Z's Sensors tab to monitor your GPU's temperature, power consumption, and total usage (keep it running while you play). If it happens again, go back out and see what changed on the graphs in GPU-Z, and see what the "Perfcap reason" is. Take a screenshot of it if possible. You'll want to do the same with your CPU temperature and usage as well. CPUID HWMonitor should be useful for that.

Hi and thank you for your quick answer. I have change the power settings as you said but I didn't restart my computer, Do I have to ?

Here is two screenshot when I play BF1 we can clearly see that the cpu Mhz is changing during lags. But what is that mean is there anything to configure in the bios or do I have a problem with my CPU ?

http://hpics.li/782153e

http://hpics.li/d0866a1

Hmm. Try going to the advanced power settings window again, and this time go to Processor power management -> Minimum Processor state and set it to 100%. That'll disable clock-downs via AMD Cool'n'Quiet and it should continue running at maximum speed. Give that a go and see if it makes a difference.

5 minutes ago, Nightsan said:

Still the same.

Hmm. So the issue isn't with the CPU clocking down, it's actually just getting interrupted "waiting" for something. When you're running games, how much RAM is typically free? What other software is running in the background? Do you have anti-virus / anti-malware software running, and have you tried disabling it?

Also: Do you happen to know what the actual model of your computer's power supply is? Or at least the manufacturer?

Well I found a solution to my problem, I found on other website that the VRM on the motherboard could affect cpu throttling.

So I just put 2 fan on the top of my case to cool the motherboard VRM and increase the airflow.

I can now run overwatch and BF1 on ultra settings without experiencing any lags or fps drops.

Thank you for your help !