Display for PS4 - Capable or nah?

Xiauj

Haiii guys ^_^

So um, I just wanted to ask if either of these setups will be fully capable for my PS4's Quality.

I want to use up the DP Port on my monitor with you guessed it, the PS4 of course and so, I'll need an adapter due to Sony not implementing a DP Port for reasons :dry: 

But what I wanted to ask is, is HDMI > DP (NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND, A ONE WAY ROUTE; HDMI > DP) possible to maintain 1080p 60Hz or is HDMI not capable of that for any resolution?

And another question is this: Should I get A or B; which will maintain the most quality? I care about quality the most.

Spoiler

A - Direct Cable starting with HDMI to DP

| |             | |

B - An adapter which quite simply just converts it

Which is more reliable and can keep the most quality/hz..?

Btw, my monitor is a Samsung U28D590D if the specs need to be checked!

Thanks

~Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

either way make no diffence hdmi will display 1080p 60hz as long as the game u play run that remember not all games made on ps4 run 1080p 60hz alot are 720p 60hz or 1080p 30hz but ye display port can run anything at the limiting factor of what is pluged in to it

but ye there first revision of hdmi so hdmi 1.0 was 1080p 60hz so you shouldnt need to ask really.

a direct cable or hdmi to dp adapter, is bassicly the same thing all your doing is converting display port to hdmi so buy which ever is cheaper.

you could run a hdmi cable to a dvi cable to a display port adapter for lols and it wouldnt make one single bit of diffrence.

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

1 minute ago, Ykno said:

either way make no diffence hdmi will display 1080p 60hz as long as the game u play run that remember not all games made on ps4 run 1080p 60hz alot are 720p 60hz or 1080p 30hz but ye display port can run anything at the limiting factor of what is pluged in to it

but ye there first revision of hdmi so hdmi 1.0 was 1080p 60hz so you shouldnt need to ask really.

Is there a way to check the PS4-Settings for [SAID_GAME] to see what it can or cannot handle with the listed Resolution and Hz  ...?

I'd be very interested if there is a way.

Think I'll go with a direct cable, seems easier lol

your monitor is a 4k monitor and your ps4 output is 1080p, that is really dumb. and DP is use for 4k 60hz, ps4 really dont need that. 

To be honest , you bought the worst monitor for your ps4, its a TN panel so colors are washed out and viewing angle suck and its 4k with display port only or hdmi 24hz so even ps4 pro wont have DP to connect.  

you really should have bought  a 1080p 60hz 24'' ips monitor that will look 100x better than the cheap 4k you have

I think you really pick the worst monitor ever for a ps4 by wanting the ''best''

52 minutes ago, pat182 said:

your monitor is a 4k monitor and your ps4 output is 1080p, that is really dumb. and DP is use for 4k 60hz, ps4 really dont need that. 

To be honest , you bought the worst monitor for your ps4, its a TN panel so colors are washed out and viewing angle suck and its 4k with display port only or hdmi 24hz so even ps4 pro wont have DP to connect.  

you really should have bought  a 1080p 60hz 24'' ips monitor that will look 100x better than the cheap 4k you have

I think you really pick the worst monitor ever for a ps4 by wanting the ''best''

Yes I'm well aware that my monitor is 4k Capable and am aware of it's specs but I've had it for 2 Years and I'm not selling it so............ ya. If only I had a GTX-1080 rig for that DP-Port :( Which I don't have. Ok it might be "dumb" as you had said but, I don't want to buy the newer PS4 Pro, I want to keep my current one thanks.

Also... I can't quite afford a new IPS monitor atm so that's not an option and like I said, I'm not selling my current monitor.

Anyways..... it will do for now (PS4>DP)

Edited by Xiauj

5 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Haiii guys ^_^

So um, I just wanted to ask if either of these setups will be fully capable for my PS4's Quality.

I want to use up the DP Port on my monitor with you guessed it, the PS4 of course and so, I'll need an adapter due to Sony not implementing a DP Port for reasons :dry: 

But what I wanted to ask is, is HDMI > DP (NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND, A ONE WAY ROUTE; HDMI > DP) possible to maintain 1080p 60Hz or is HDMI not capable of that for any resolution?

And another question is this: Should I get A or B; which will maintain the most quality? I care about quality the most.

Reveal hidden contents

Btw, my monitor is a Samsung U28D590D if the specs need to be checked!

Thanks

~Xiauj

A DisplayPort to HDMI cable will not work from HDMI to DisplayPort. You will need this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQORLCG/

Which may not work either, since I'm not sure that it supports HDCP which might be necessary for the PS4. According to a review it doesn't work with a PS3.

Is there some reason you can't just use your monitor's HDMI port?

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Is there some reason you can't just use your monitor's HDMI port?

They are already in use :P

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

A DisplayPort to HDMI cable will not work from HDMI to DisplayPort. You will need this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQORLCG/

Do you perhaps know of one that doesn't use USB as it's source of power?

This monitor doesn't have USB Ports unfortunately :(

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

They are already in use :P

Do you perhaps know of one that doesn't use USB as it's source of power?

This monitor doesn't have USB Ports unfortunately :(

The USB is closer to the HDMI side of the connection. Does the PS4 have USB ports in the back? And is there any way to use DisplayPort on your other devices? I'd recommend against using a signal converter like this if you can avoid it.