Mechanical Key Calculator

Hey Guys/ Girls,

I'm currently having my finals and I have to do many calculations as part of my CIE exams. One thing I have noticed is that I make alot of errors in typing my calculations into my Casio FX-82MS which is due to my being time pressured and the keys on the calculator being relatively unresponsive. I had this idea awhile back and figured I'd do it as a summer project, I'd like to buy some Cherry MX keys off ebay, a cheap calculator and numpad. Break it apart and create a mechanical key calculator, maybe with LED lights just for the fun of it, I have a pile of unused powerbanks which I could also open up or just power the calculator with a usb cable. Just wanted to see if anyone in the LTT community had any ideas to contribute or any tips.

Pls No Roast :P

Sorry i have no tips or ideas but i would love to see how this goes and i may even try it my self if it goes well for you!

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

7 minutes ago, TheLastPixel said:

Hey Guys/ Girls,

I'm currently having my finals and I have to do many calculations as part of my CIE exams. One thing I have noticed is that I make alot of errors in typing my calculations into my Casio FX-82MS which is due to my being time pressured and the keys on the calculator being relatively unresponsive. I had this idea awhile back and figured I'd do it as a summer project, I'd like to buy some Cherry MX keys off ebay, a cheap calculator and numpad. Break it apart and create a mechanical key calculator, maybe with LED lights just for the fun of it, I have a pile of unused powerbanks which I could also open up or just power the calculator with a usb cable. Just wanted to see if anyone in the LTT community had any ideas to contribute or any tips.

Pls No Roast :P

i think you should ask if homebrew calculators are allowed before they confiscate it.

best way to do this is probably a rasperry pi (zero) or an arduino with small lcd. raspberry 

Were you planning on using the same calculator or a different one?

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

5 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Or you could get a ti84 like the rest of us. 

True, 84 Plus or Plus CE or Silver Edition would be fine. And if you really wanted a keyboard you could just go and pickup a TI-92 on eBay for like less than $40 USD, and it's got a full QWERTY keyboard as well.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

23 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

True, 84 Plus or Plus CE or Silver Edition would be fine. And if you really wanted a keyboard you could just go and pickup a TI-92 on eBay for like less than $40 USD, and it's got a full QWERTY keyboard as well.

So? it can be...like you know...

A gaming keyboard?

1 hour ago, keNNySOC said:

So? it can be...like you know...

A gaming keyboard?

Well....the calculator itself isn't really made for playing games...but it's a pretty damn good keyboard.

you could probably find a way to wire it into a Raspberry Pi and play emulated text adventures or some shit :P 

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

16 hours ago, tlink said:

i think you should ask if homebrew calculators are allowed before they confiscate it.

best way to do this is probably a rasperry pi (zero) or an arduino with small lcd. raspberry 

Oh good idea didn't think for that. Thanks :D

14 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Or you could get a ti84 like the rest of us. 

We aren't allowed to use graphic calculators for our examinations

16 hours ago, tlink said:

Just a fun project, prob just for home use

26 minutes ago, TheLastPixel said:

We aren't allowed to use graphic calculators for our examinations

Or you could get a Ti34 like the rest of us. Still have one on my desk, although my 84+ CE SE is my daily driver for school.

ASU

12 hours ago, Trav_X said:

thats not the problem. its that the keys are terrible and unresponsive.

@TheLastPixela mechanical calculator would be nice. a problem though is the size of the switches. you cant fit that many buttons on it without making it huge. just look at the ducky pocket. its a 4 funtion calculator and its already the size of a scientific at least

Spoiler

Ducky_Pocket_04.jpg

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

3 minutes ago, DrM said:

thats not the problem. its that the keys are terrible and unresponsive.

@TheLastPixela mechanical calculator would be nice. a problem though is the size of the switches. you cant fit that many buttons on it without making it huge. just look at the ducky pocket. its a 4 funtion calculator and its already the size of a scientific at least

Reveal hidden contents

Ducky_Pocket_04.jpg

Woah, didn't realize its been done, I'll check it out thanks :D

Don't blame the calculator. The keys are fine. You just want to make a project, which is absolutely fine.

However, a mechanical key calculator will not be useful whatsoever. It won't be portable. Most scientific calculators have ~40 keys on them. A typical laptop keyboard has ~80 keys on them. So your calculator will be at LEAST half the size of a laptop keyboard. The easiest way to do it would be to cut a numpad off of a keyboard then wire the numbers up to your calculator switches.