Windows doesn't boot

So yesterday I switched out my graphics card(gainward gtx 580) with a GTX 560 to test it out. When I booted into Windows I was expecting to have to install new drivers but apparently not, I went and benchmarked it and I was pleased with the results. I then switched the cards back and left it for the morning. When I turned on my computer, everything seemed fine, I clicked the windows option(to boot into) and I got a black screen. My first thought was to turn it off and on again, that didn't work so it may have been the drivers so I tried booting into safe mode, I'm seeing the circle loading thing but nothing has happened for about 30 mins. After some googling I saw someone with a similar problem that all they did was change the voltage on their ram but there is 3 problems about that 1) I can't access my bios because my stupid asus motherboard doesn't recognise USB input at POST(it was fine before I upgraded to Windows 10 and I have tried updating the drivers)

2) I don't know my ram :/ I took it out from a prebuilt system 

3) it seemed to be working for a year so I doubt it has something to do with that.

And do now I'm stuck and going to this forum for help

I'm not sure. You could try hitting it with a hammer. But that's probably not a good idea...

Do you have other RAM you could swap out?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

I'm not sure. You could try hitting it with a hammer. But that's probably not a good idea...

Do you have other RAM you could swap out?

I have some server ram, but even then I would have the same problem 

19 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

switch the gpu back again. come back after you have the results and tell them pls

It now works fine... does this mean I've broken my main graphics card or is it the drivers? Right now I'm kind of confused

okey while you have the working GPU in your system. download the drivers for the newer one (or wathever the one is that makes it crash) (its fine to run 2 drivers) after you did that put the one with the problems back in. see if the problem is resolved. if not im afraid there is something wrong with that GPU 

4 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

okey while you have the working GPU in your system. download the drivers for the newer one (or wathever the one is that makes it crash) (its fine to run 2 drivers) after you did that put the one with the problems back in. see if the problem is resolved. if not im afraid there is something wrong with that GPU 

When I originally switched my GTX 580(main card) for the GTX 560 for testing, I didn't need to install any new drivers(the GeForce experience said it was up to date and the card ran fine)  does the 500 series share the same drivers? (I want to know before I try to manually install GTX 580 drivers

every card has its own drivers. it probably messed something up from the swap. get the drivers from the official nvidia website. 

sinds your card worked fine b4 you swapped it i can only asume its a software problem. or you must have broken something while swapping it. (can you see phisical damage at the pciE brige or power cord parts?

13 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

every card has its own drivers. it probably messed something up from the swap. get the drivers from the official nvidia website. 

sinds your card worked fine b4 you swapped it i can only asume its a software problem. or you must have broken something while swapping it. (can you see phisical damage at the pciE brige or power cord parts?

On the Nvidia website, when I select product series and select 500 series, Product: disappeares but when I select 10 series it reappears

edit: and no physical damage however I may have only plugged in the 8 pin half way. Not 100% sure tho

strange i can download it if i want to. but i think i whas wrong a bit. all 500 series use the same drivers sorry for my mistake.

the only thing i can think of is phisical damage becouse it used to work fine. i'm sorry but i can't help you any further :'(

1 minute ago, cakevreter2000 said:

strange i can download it if i want to. but i think i whas wrong a bit. all 500 series use the same drivers sorry for my mistake.

the only thing i can think of is phisical damage becouse it used to work fine. i'm sorry but i can't help you any further :'(

Did u see my edit, what would happen if I accidently plugged in the 8 pin half way? I'm not sure if I did that, not 100% sure, I was tired yesturday

Drivers are the same for cards in the same family. Nivida uses a unified architecture and the same driver is used on the cards. If the card just does not work it is highly possible that a electrostatic discharge or just a spark from removing the card without de-energizing the system prior could cause damage to the card. It is generally a good idea to remove the power cord and press the power button on the case to de-energize the system prior to removal of any component to prevent any electrical discharge from damaging a component. It is also a good idea to make sure you do not have any static electricity stored up in your body and to touch a metal item to discharge any static electricity..

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

21 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

no i did not see it. well i would sugest plug it in all the way DON'T FORCE IT THO!!!! :P

Turns out it wasn't the power connected as I'm getting same problem. But surely it doesn't make much sense for it to be dead as it's  outputting everything fine until Windows boots. I was very careful when testing it: 

i kept the power supply plugged in however it turned off, after that holding down power button for 5 seconds and when I removed it I placed it on a anti static bag and throughout this whole process i kept touching the power supply to get rid of static

can you put it in another pc? right now i'm just thinking out loud but it could be worth testing.

edit:try another OS? you can install ubuntu or something on a second partision and just see if it works. later on you can delete it again

Just now, cakevreter2000 said:

can you put it in another pc? right now i'm just thinking out loud but it could be worth testing.

Just an update, I restarted and I got a scanning and repairing drive (c:) 

29 minutes ago, Samtan 117 said:

edit: and no physical damage however I may have only plugged in the 8 pin half way. Not 100% sure tho

I can tell you that I have tried to boot a system with the plug on the video card not in and it just had no video. I did not do any damage to the card fortunately and turned the system off and plugged in the six pin connector and all was fine. It is possible if the plug was only half way in that it may have damaged the card due to overload, electrical discharge or inadequate flow. 

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

It is repairing the drive due to an improper shut down.

What card is in the system currently?

I really don't think that it's broken(I may just be in denial XD) I'm currently on a black screen with just a mouse that I can move

So am I to understand that the damaged card is in and you have a mouse cursor on the screen?

Just now, zanthros said:

So am I to understand that the damaged card is in and you have a mouse cursor on the screen?

Yes,  can move it with my mouse

The fact that you have a display that is working and you can see the mouse shows that the card IS working. Possibly because of the ill-timed shut downs that the system went through it is displaying only an empty black screen. You probably need to restore your desktop. Getting through this with Windows 10 is a real pain in the ... ! You will have to boot into safe mode to do this. 

Booting into safe mode is usually done from inside of Windows 10 while you have it up and running, however it can be done other ways as well. Does it display anything during the boot up process?