What am I not getting here?

So to get a 'point' my computer needs 8 to 10 minutes on high in the Chrome webpage (the native program download link didn't work when I tried to download it) and to get even a meager "bronze" award I need 1,000,000 'points' but that would take me 15 years?!? What am I not understanding here? Is that supposed to be a really high goal to reach? Is my rig under-powered? What's going on here? O.o 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Not a point, but a WU. Each WU (work unit) is worth quite a lot of points. You can check with the PPD (points per day) measurement in the advanced control. 

In that case I must not be reading it correctly. It did it's 100% countdown countup then my points didn't go up.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

15 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

In that case I must not be reading it correctly. It did it's 100% countdown countup then my points didn't go up.

If I understand this all now, running this software 24/7 on both my desktop and my laptop and my two smartphones it would take me 98 days! That's still kinda insane!  @TheRandomness

The points update every hour. You will not see a point change until an hour past. It sounds like you are running the chrome browser version. This is a much lower version of the full F@H program. Chrome Work Unites are inherently worth less points because you are not actually doing as much work as the F@H client allows. 

Here are a few things to note:

1. The Chrome client uses less rewarding WUs.
  2. You are missing out on Quick Return Bonus (QRB), which is where the bulk of credits come from.
  3. Even if the 2 above weren't a problem, CPU folding is quite inneficient. GPUs are where it's at, they just do stuff soooo much faster...
  4. At any rate, you can at least get Member badge. That only requires 24 WUs completed.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

5 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Here are a few things to note:

1. The Chrome client uses less rewarding WUs.
  2. You are missing out on Quick Return Bonus (QRB), which is where the bulk of credits come from.
  3. Even if the 2 above weren't a problem, CPU folding is quite inneficient. GPUs are where it's at, they just do stuff soooo much faster...
  4. At any rate, you can at least get Member badge. That only requires 24 WUs completed.

Thank you. I have since gotten the native program to run in both of my computers. They are in full CPU and GPU. What I don't understand now is, the website talks in number of points earned, how do I check how many WU I have completed?

In the client, you can just click your username and it'll send you to a page containing your statistics. Alternatively, you can go here and manually search for yourself, or anyone, really. For instance, if you wanted to know what I did, you could just search down "Imakuni" and you'd find everything about my life, including my credit card number...

(okay, maybe not that last part)

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

In the client, you can just click your username and it'll send you to a page containing your statistics. Alternatively, you can go here and manually search for yourself.

Thank you. I have to say, this is pretty hilarious. 

cert.Xanthe_2871.4.jpg

But still, both my machines have been running all night and they only got 4 puny units? I should just plug myself into the internet and fold in my mind... I could probably get the highest honors in a few minutes.

9 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

But still, both my machines have been running all night and they only got 4 puny units? I should just plug myself into the internet and fold in my mind... I could probably get the highest honors in a few minutes.

Did you remember to set the exact same passkey on the windows client than the one used on the chrome one? If not, it would perfectly explain the discrepancy in WU count.

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Did you remember to set the exact same passkey on the windows client than the one used on the chrome one? If not, it would perfectly explain the discrepancy in WU count.

I think so... I shall investigate! 

20 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

My second computer, the much more powerful one, is signed in to the folding website as me. But it hasn't finished a single work unit. Is it working on some huge work unit? Or is it not doing what it's supposed to do?

folding.png

6 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

My second computer, the much more powerful one, is signed in to the folding website as me. But it hasn't finished a single work unit. Is it working on some huge work unit? Or is it not doing what it's supposed to do?

It depends on the WU. My 970, for instance, does some WUs in about an hour; others take 9h to complete.

I also have a 970 and it will do 300K by itself on a good day.  If I was you, I'd give it 24 hours to see what it averages out at.  If it's still down in the 30K range then there is something not right.

16 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I also have a 970 and it will do 300K by itself on a good day.  If I was you, I'd give it 24 hours to see what it averages out at.  If it's still down in the 30K range then there is something not right.

Alright then! :)

17 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

If I understand correctly, I appear to have gotten 220,000 points over the past day and a half with three computers running 24/7. That's a fair bit shy of what you claim to get :(

7 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

If I understand correctly, I appear to have gotten 220,000 points over the past day and a half with three computers running 24/7. That's a fair bit shy of what you claim to get :(

Not to add another variable to the equation, but I had to roll back my Nvidia driver to keep my card from failing to complete work units.  At least I think that was the issue.  CPU was folding fine but GPU kept failing.  

It's home now folding and might have failed again for all I know.  When I get home later I'll check to see. 

The folding client doesn't appear to take drivers in to account in any way and from what I have read here and on the Folding Forums over at Stanford, they make a big difference in performance. 

When I get a new number for my current Points Per Day I'll share.

Still, 220K is something.... right?

26 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Not to add another variable to the equation, but I had to roll back my Nvidia driver to keep my card from failing to complete work units.  At least I think that was the issue.  CPU was folding fine but GPU kept failing.  

It's home now folding and might have failed again for all I know.  When I get home later I'll check to see. 

The folding client doesn't appear to take drivers in to account in any way and from what I have read here and on the Folding Forums over at Stanford, they make a big difference in performance. 

When I get a new number for my current Points Per Day I'll share.

Still, 220K is something.... right?

Alright sounds good. :) Yes, it is still something.

2 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

If I understand correctly, I appear to have gotten 220,000 points over the past day and a half with three computers running 24/7. That's a fair bit shy of what you claim to get

You need 10 qualified WUs before you get the Quick Return Bonus, which is where you'll get the bulk of your credits from. Since you've just started, the first few WU didn't get that bonus, so I'd find this slow start a normal thing.

You should have it by now, though. Look at your PC with the 970, it should say something along the lines of 300k~400k PPD, and, if it does, everything is fine.

2 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Looks like the old driver worked.  It folded all day without failing.  It's only doing 290K PPD though.  Better that the new driver, but still not great.

45 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Looks like the old driver worked.  It folded all day without failing.  It's only doing 290K PPD though.  Better that the new driver, but still not great.

Did you remember to fix your vRAM clock? if you didn't, your performance is being hampered by that.

Oh yeah.  Whats the deal with that again....?  I changed it to 3505 an set it, but why does it always change back?  Bug?

38 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Oh yeah.  Whats the deal with that again....?  I changed it to 3505 an set it, but why does it always change back?  Bug?

That's because of the way the drivers are made. When they see a GPGPU app running, they run at P state 2 (which has lower RAM speed) rather than the usual P0 with full boost. Why? Well, great question, I don't get why Nvidia designed them like that either... it's a dumb decision, but what can you do...

At any rate, remember: anytime the driver resets (whether due to crashing, new version being installed, PC rebooting, etc), you gotta reapply the fix.

Thanks Imaknui!

OK so last night on driver 21.21.13.7307, according to device manager, and with my vram reset to 3505 I had 426957 PPD waiting for me this morning.

Looks like things are back in high gear.

How do you post a printscreen?

6 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

How do you post a printscreen?

There are a couple ways to do it, but easiest would be to save the print in your PC and just use the "Drag files here to attach, or shoose files" thingie right below the post to quickly add the print to the LTT forum. Once uploaded, click the little + button on the image to add it to the post.