Need help painting my headphones

CardinalHunter

First of all, my headhones are ever so popular K7XX. Now, how can I and should I mask off my headphones? 

14804817_10153838390398204_1132677909_n.jpg?oh=0cf370963c26c8fc9fa49fb8f02806eb&oe=5810C2DB

14804817_10153838390398204_1132677909_n.jpg?oh=0cf370963c26c8fc9fa49fb8f02806eb&oe=5810C2DB

14805449_10153838390428204_1098528459_n.jpg?oh=951c939d4009cd31243aa2b50b578ab4&oe=5810C86A

I plan to paint the little side with the scratches red but should I use plasti dip for it? That is not a joint so friction doesn't isn't really and issue 'cuz when I attach the cable I just slide the thing in the hole(pls no sexual inuoendo). Also here is the ratio of the hole to the cotton bud to the hole:

14826295_10153838390468204_973447912_n.jpg?oh=48a13c702d27d531f7c419f1c4eeb2a6&oe=5811C09D

i don't understand what you are asking

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

20 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i don't understand what you are asking

I tried to fix the scratches on side of the hole like u see in the photos ya and here's the thing, I wanna spray paint it and since I don't wanna sand it down as the layer of metal itself is thin enough already plus spray painting oughta make it look cooler since the headphones are meant to be black with a tad bit of red accent and the side I wanna paint doesn't receive much friction and so I'm wondering if I should use plasti dip and how to mask the headphones

@W-L @Fatelinha

I rly need help here this thing's been bugging me for weeks, I've seen u on other headphone painting posts as well and u seem to know what you're doing so instead of me ruining a new good pair of headphones I feel like getting a few veterans would be a lot more of a good idea I'm doing this to save my brain and sanity so pls help if u can

2 hours ago, CardinalHunter said:

@W-L @Fatelinha

I rly need help here this thing's been bugging me for weeks, I've seen u on other headphone painting posts as well and u seem to know what you're doing so instead of me ruining a new good pair of headphones I feel like getting a few veterans would be a lot more of a good idea I'm doing this to save my brain and sanity so pls help if u can

If you want to paint the metal mesh it would be best to disassemble it and use spray paint since the mesh is quite fine, plasti-dip will tend to cover up the holes if you want to get good coverage. For that connector for sure mask it off since you don't want paint to get onto the paint ns or surrounding plastic. 

7 hours ago, W-L said:

If you want to paint the metal mesh it would be best to disassemble it and use spray paint since the mesh is quite fine, plasti-dip will tend to cover up the holes if you want to get good coverage. For that connector for sure mask it off since you don't want paint to get onto the paint ns or surrounding plastic. 

I don't plan to paint the mesh but how do i mask off the connector and the rest of the headphones and do i just literally mask off every single part of the cans including the ear pads 

45 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

I don't plan to paint the mesh but how do i mask off the connector and the rest of the headphones and do i just literally mask off every single part of the cans including the ear pads 

Ideally it would be best to take everything apart but if you can take off the pads and mask off the connectors and mesh then you should be good, for plastic though you will want to scuff up the surface and apply a primer to promote adhesion. 

13 hours ago, W-L said:

Ideally it would be best to take everything apart but if you can take off the pads and mask off the connectors and mesh then you should be good, for plastic though you will want to scuff up the surface and apply a primer to promote adhesion. 

How can I take the headphones apart? Is there a guide to it? How can I mask off the connector because as you can seethe part where I wanna paint is right above the connector? Do I just stick a piece of tissue paper in there and hope for the best? Would taking apart the headphones take too much time? Do I need to handle the headphones with utmost caution when doing this? I'm sorry for bombarding you with question but I really really don't wanna mess up.

24 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

How can I take the headphones apart? Is there a guide to it? How can I mask off the connector because as you can seethe part where I wanna paint is right above the connector? Do I just stick a piece of tissue paper in there and hope for the best? Would taking apart the headphones take too much time? Do I need to handle the headphones with utmost caution when doing this? I'm sorry for bombarding you with question but I really really don't wanna mess up.

Your best bet would be to look around for guides but if you wanted to paint it without taking apart be sure to mask off everything else including the head band and such, take your time when doing it to ensure you have a good masking line. Tissue paper won't work go get proper painters or automotive masking tape before you start. 

28 minutes ago, W-L said:

Your best bet would be to look around for guides but if you wanted to paint it without taking apart be sure to mask off everything else including the head band and such, take your time when doing it to ensure you have a good masking line. Tissue paper won't work go get proper painters or automotive masking tape before you start. 

Should I stick with plasti dip or use something else for longevity's sake? If so, how should I do it and what paint would you recommend?

22 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

Should I stick with plasti dip or use something else for longevity's sake? If so, how should I do it and what paint would you recommend?

I wouldn't recommend plasti-dip it tends to lack abrasions and contact resistance so it will tear easily if handled roughly. You would be best off with spray paint as long as your aren't painting the meshes area since you wouldn't want to get it inside of the headphones. As for options automotive spray paints tend to be some of the best out there for both quality and color selection. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

I wouldn't recommend plasti-dip it tends to lack abrasions and contact resistance so it will tear easily if handled roughly. You would be best off with spray paint as long as your aren't painting the meshes area since you wouldn't want to get it inside of the headphones. As for options automotive spray paints tend to be some of the best out there for both quality and color selection. 

and do i need to apply primer to the connector sides with scratches before I paint?

5 hours ago, CardinalHunter said:

and do i need to apply primer to the connector sides with scratches before I paint?

Don't paint the connector, for the plastic you should scuff it up with some scotch brite and apply a light primer to help it adhere. 

On 10/27/2016 at 3:00 AM, W-L said:

Don't paint the connector, for the plastic you should scuff it up with some scotch brite and apply a light primer to help it adhere. 

well I meant the little ledge with scratches on it

On 10/25/2016 at 2:54 AM, CardinalHunter said:

I just slide the thing in the hole

me too  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

3 hours ago, CardinalHunter said:

well I meant the little ledge with scratches on it

Which ledge now the photos previously seem to have disappeared. If they interface with the connector I would leave it unpainted since it would get scraped off overtime. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Which ledge now the photos previously seem to have disappeared. If they interface with the connector I would leave it unpainted since it would get scraped off overtime. 

no no no it's just the ledge with the scratches on it, it's the thought that I fucked up something like this even though I've seen used photos of these and people kept it in good condition and I wanna fix it but since the layer of metal is so thin, I don't wanna sand it down so my only option is to paint it

14804817_10153838390398204_1132677909_n.jpg

1 minute ago, CardinalHunter said:

no no no it's just the ledge with the scratches on it, it's the thought that I fucked up something like this even though I've seen used photos of these and people kept it in good condition and I wanna fix it but since the layer of metal is so thin, I don't wanna sand it down so my only option is to paint it

Yeah don't paint that interior section it will just be worn off, your better off just cleaning that up and if you want it to match the black use sharpie or a paint marker over it, that will still get worn off but won't gum up like with paint. That should all be hidden once the cable is connected however. 

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah don't paint that interior section it will just be worn off, your better off just cleaning that up and if you want it to match the black use sharpie or a paint marker over it, that will still get worn off but won't gum up like with paint. That should all be hidden once the cable is connected however. 

I was gonna use some red paint to make it match the color scheme what do u reckon

18 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

I was gonna use some red paint to make it match the color scheme what do u reckon

If you want to paint the exterior portion of that ring that is seen it's not a problem but for the inside since it's covered I would leave it and just clean it up a little with some light/very fine abrasive pad to see if some of that will come off. Looks mostly like metal transfer from the connector. 

3 hours ago, W-L said:

If you want to paint the exterior portion of that ring that is seen it's not a problem but for the inside since it's covered I would leave it and just clean it up a little with some light/very fine abrasive pad to see if some of that will come off. Looks mostly like metal transfer from the connector. 

I do wanna paint the ring but, again, I just don't know how to mask rest of the connector off leaving onl the ring

18 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

I do wanna paint the ring but, again, I just don't know how to mask rest of the connector off leaving onl the ring

It would be the same as any other, just take the masking tape but instead stick it to the interior wall of the connector so sticky side faces out so it doesn't allow paint to get inside on the surfaces and the pins. 

3 hours ago, W-L said:

It would be the same as any other, just take the masking tape but instead stick it to the interior wall of the connector so sticky side faces out so it doesn't allow paint to get inside on the surfaces and the pins. 

uhh come again