How to Overclock??

AkiTech

I just want to learn about overclocking :3 I cant really find helpfull tips and vids on YT so I decided to go the LTT Forums for assistance from experienced techies.. :)

CPU or GPU? what CPU/GPU exactly?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

"can't really find any helpful tips and vids"

Have you tried using the search bar at the top?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What pre-build computer is it running inside?

Depending on such, we might also need to know your Mobo/BIOS to extract the vBIOS and edit that with overclocking tools.

I beatbox 

Do NOT overclock in laptops, they dont have the heat dissipation capabilities and could damage your components due to overheating.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

8 hours ago, Festive said:

Do NOT overclock in laptops, they dont have the heat dissipation capabilities and could damage your components due to overheating.

Thanks for the warning, but can you still offer help? The OP will make that decision once we actually overclocks and sees what the heat does.

I have an ASUS G75VX that as on 24/7 for about 2 and a half years on a BestBuy display and then I've owned it for over 3 or 4 years. I've had it overclocked for about 2 to 3 years and it actually does a real nice job on its own to thermal throttle once it hits 87*c. Yes: it runs at 87*c all the time and it's fine.

I've repasted it only once about 2 and a half years ago and I don't feel any sort of performance issues with needing to repaste it.

Again, thank you very much for the warning but never tell someone NOT to do something. YOU do NOT know who these people are, what their experiences and skills and knowledges are. Maybe he already knows about the heat might being an issue and doesn't care. Maybe he's overclocked Kepler cards but not whatever the 900 series is.

I hope you also understand I'm not attacking you and I apologize if you read my message in such context. I'm just personally annoyed when people spend more time expressing the dangers of learning new things instead of focusing on achieving the goal. I'm not mad at you personally and I don't want you to respond in a negative manner. Thank you for hopefully understanding.

I beatbox 

48 minutes ago, RypeDub said:

Thanks for the warning, but can you still offer help? The OP will make that decision once we actually overclocks and sees what the heat does.

I have an ASUS G75VX that as on 24/7 for about 2 and a half years on a BestBuy display and then I've owned it for over 3 or 4 years. I've had it overclocked for about 2 to 3 years and it actually does a real nice job on its own to thermal throttle once it hits 87*c. Yes: it runs at 87*c all the time and it's fine.

I've repasted it only once about 2 and a half years ago and I don't feel any sort of performance issues with needing to repaste it.

Again, thank you very much for the warning but never tell someone NOT to do something. YOU do NOT know who these people are, what their experiences and skills and knowledges are. Maybe he already knows about the heat might being an issue and doesn't care. Maybe he's overclocked Kepler cards but not whatever the 900 series is.

I hope you also understand I'm not attacking you and I apologize if you read my message in such context. I'm just personally annoyed when people spend more time expressing the dangers of learning new things instead of focusing on achieving the goal. I'm not mad at you personally and I don't want you to respond in a negative manner. Thank you for hopefully understanding.

I'm expressing the dangers because they are dangers. I will never advise someone to do something 1. I wouldn't do myself for obvious reasons 2. If he knew about the dangers of overclocking on a laptop and the extremely negligible performance gains that probably wouldn't stay due to throttling then he would be asking. 3. As you said yourself never tell someone not to do something. Thanks for understanding.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

17 hours ago, AkiTech said:

Ummm.. its a GeForce 960M :)

So @AkiTech what laptop or desktop is your graphics card running in?

How much knowledge do you have on overclocking in general?

What are you looking to acomolish by overclocking?

I beatbox 

3 minutes ago, Festive said:

3. As you said yourself never tell someone not to do something. Thanks for understanding.

YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!! YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!!YOU GOT ME !!! 

I beatbox 

5 minutes ago, Festive said:

I will never advise someone to do something 1. I wouldn't do myself for obvious reasons 

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

You're being an SJW because you are further expressing concern and opposition TO YOUR OWN COMFORT LEVEL/PREFERNECE/HABITS/BELIEFSS instead of either saying nothing at all, like you norrmally would with a troll or bully, and offer actual contributions to the conversation to keep it going on to reach the topics goal, and not try to prevent it simply because you personally wouldn't take the steps.

Are you also on Surdgery Doctors forums preventing experimental thoughts on procedures simply because you personally wouldn't attempt such acts?

Now this is the part where I never respond to anything further you have to say, unless it's actually about assisting the OP in his goals. You can try to respond, you are right that I shouldn't have suggested otherwise, just know that I'm literally not gonna reply.

I like to troll trolls now and then.

I beatbox 

39 minutes ago, RypeDub said:

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

You're being an SJW because you are further expressing concern and opposition TO YOUR OWN COMFORT LEVEL/PREFERNECE/HABITS/BELIEFSS instead of either saying nothing at all, like you norrmally would with a troll or bully, and offer actual contributions to the conversation to keep it going on to reach the topics goal, and not try to prevent it simply because you personally wouldn't take the steps.

Are you also on Surdgery Doctors forums preventing experimental thoughts on procedures simply because you personally wouldn't attempt such acts?

Now this is the part where I never respond to anything further you have to say, unless it's actually about assisting the OP in his goals. You can try to respond, you are right that I shouldn't have suggested otherwise, just know that I'm literally not gonna reply.

I like to troll trolls now and then.

Surgery=Overclocking a mobile GPU?

Apples to oranges comparisons eh?

Op, do it at your own risks but 99% of well educated people would tell you not to /advise strongly against it. Risking thermally damaging components all because you want to try and squeeze an extra amount out of a processor that won't give you any noticeable improvements isn't worth it to me or really anyone for that matter. The measly overclocks you get will most likely be in effect for less than a few minutes because, to protect itself, the computer will down clock the components (CPU,GPU) to compensate for the temperatures lowering performance. Unless you have a very disposable income and you have no problem with that lose lose situation, leave it alone. 

•