Is there a way to fold using only part of my GPU?

I've been folding on my CPU and it works beautifully, and I set it to 2 cores so I can run it while I'm doing anything non-CPU intensive, then up to all 4 cores when it's idle. I want to fold with my GPU, however, it gets a bit too hot and loud for my liking when it's constantly 100% stressed. Is there a way to use only a portion of GPU power to fold, so I can reduce thermals and noise a little?

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No, but you can change the folding power for how aggressive it uses the gpu.

The issues with that are that I want to run my CPU at full power and I can't control each individually, and also when I turn it down to low power, it wants to wait 'till the system is idle to use the GPU.

6 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I've been folding on my CPU and it works beautifully, and I set it to 2 cores so I can run it while I'm doing anything non-CPU intensive, then up to all 4 cores when it's idle. I want to fold with my GPU, however, it gets a bit too hot and loud for my liking when it's constantly 100% stressed. Is there a way to use only a portion of GPU power to fold, so I can reduce thermals and noise a little?

Unfortunately, it's either "all in or nothing". You either crunch with the GPU full power or don't crunch at all, there's no middle ground.

Now, you can try to underclock the thing by reducing the power and temp targets to artificially creat a throttle, but as far as the folding software goes, there's nothgin to be done about it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Unfortunately, it's either "all in or nothing". You either crunch with the GPU full power or don't crunch at all, there's no middle ground.

Now, you can try to underclock the thing by reducing the power and temp targets to artificially creat a throttle, but as far as the folding software goes, there's nothgin to be done about it.

Alright, thanks.