Which video card

GamerJ

I'm currently getting parts for a new PC build (my first :3) and it was recently bought to my attention that a gtx 1070, rather than the 1080, may be a better option for me. Both fit into my budget (however I can go with something like a 1070 ftw or a 1080 sc) so I'm wandering which to go for. For now I'm playing on a 1080p monitor, but have plans to get a 1440p monitor next year (no interest in 4k just yet). I also want to play at max settings with high frame rates and would like to keep these settings for a minimum of 2.5 to 3.5 years (specific numbers I know) before even considering an upgrade. I also plan to run the cards at stock speeds for about a year or so before overclocking. 

Id go for 1070

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

3.5 years is a long time, if you still want to be playing at ultra 1440p then you would need a 1080 or 1080ti.

The best option is always to buy a lower end card like a 1070 and then upgrade sooner instead of waiting so long.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What do you consider a high frame rate? And when you say "max settings", would be willing to compromise on things like AA?

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

3.5 years is a long time, if you still want to be playing at ultra 1440p then you would need a 1080 or 1080ti.

The best option is always to buy a lower end card like a 1070 and then upgrade sooner instead of waiting so long.

I know 3.5 years is a long time. And by that time I'll probably have upgraded to something else (If something catches my eye...or I jump on a hype train of some sort). I just thought it better to go with the 1080 now since I can afford it.

1 minute ago, GamerJ said:

I know 3.5 years is a long time. And by that time I'll probably have upgraded to something else (If something catches my eye...or I jump on a hype train of some sort). I just thought it better to go with the 1080 now since I can afford it.

1080ti is about to come out, that might lower the price a bit.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

What do you consider a high frame rate? And when you say "max settings", would be willing to compromise on things like AA?

Higher than 100 frames per second would be awesome and nothing lower than 60 (I don't even want it hovering around that mark). 

As for AA, that would be nice but if it's not needed or doesn't impact graphics much, I don't mind turning it off

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1080ti is about to come out, that might lower the price a bit.

Yeah, it's rumored to come out early next year. However, my plan was to finish the build late November this year (black Friday and/or cyber Monday could potentially reduce the price). 

17 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Id go for 1070

I always see you posting around . Lol

Just now, thutzell13579 said:

Yeah :P 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

*says 1070 is low end card* 1070 is really high end lol.

Spoiler

AXIOM

8 minutes ago, GamerJ said:

Higher than 100 frames per second would be awesome and nothing lower than 60 (I don't even want it hovering around that mark). 

As for AA, that would be nice but if it's not needed or doesn't impact graphics much, I don't mind turning it off

A 1080 will struggle to run games at 100FPS @ 1440P with todays games, I know check my sig :P

I wouldnt honestly suggest a 1080 though for max settings 1440P. I just swapped from a 970sli rig which sits sort of between a 980ti and 1070. Both of these cards would offer a smoother experience cause not SLI, but my point is, I upgraded to a 1080 and im glad I did. However it depends how long you are going to sit at 1080P, if longer than a year I would probably just grab like a 480 RX and use that until you get the 1440P and upgrade the card then, as a 1070/1080 aint gonna get fully utilised by 1080P

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

10 minutes ago, thutzell13579 said:

I like getting opinions for my build. Don't want to mess up. Plus it's fun :D

34 minutes ago, GamerJ said:

I'm currently getting parts for a new PC build (my first :3) and it was recently bought to my attention that a gtx 1070, rather than the 1080, may be a better option for me. Both fit into my budget (however I can go with something like a 1070 ftw or a 1080 sc) so I'm wandering which to go for. For now I'm playing on a 1080p monitor, but have plans to get a 1440p monitor next year (no interest in 4k just yet). I also want to play at max settings with high frame rates and would like to keep these settings for a minimum of 2.5 to 3.5 years (specific numbers I know) before even considering an upgrade. I also plan to run the cards at stock speeds for about a year or so before overclocking. 

I'd say go for the 1070, but when the 1080ti comes out and if it's anywhere near the price of the 1080 go for that, it's MOST LIKELY going to perform better than the Titan XP, like last  years 980 ti it beat the Titan X, and it's going to be considerably cheaper than the Titan X roughly 650-730 dollars (PREDICTED) which I think is manageable for the price.

7 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

A 1080 will struggle to run games at 100FPS @ 1440P with todays games, I know check my sig :P

I wouldnt honestly suggest a 1080 though for max settings 1440P. I just swapped from a 970sli rig which sits sort of between a 980ti and 1070. Both of these cards would offer a smoother experience cause not SLI, but my point is, I upgraded to a 1080 and im glad I did. However it depends how long you are going to sit at 1080P, if longer than a year I would probably just grab like a 480 RX and use that until you get the 1440P and upgrade the card then, as a 1070/1080 aint gonna get fully utilised by 1080P

I plan on getting the monitor sometime next year. If I was going to stick which just 1080, I'd probably go with the 1060. I'll be sticking with 1080p for like the first few months at most. Plus, monitor prices are supposed to be coming down a bit soon. 

As for performance, Most of the reviews I've seen have been able to run stuff like crysis and witcher 3 at 1440p with about 80 - 9 frames average.

3 minutes ago, Swiftyx5 said:

I'd say go for the 1070, but when the 1080ti comes out and if it's anywhere near the price of the 1080 go for that, it's MOST LIKELY going to perform better than the Titan XP, like last  years 980 ti it beat the Titan X, and it's going to be considerably cheaper than the Titan X roughly 650-730 dollars (PREDICTED) which I think is manageable for the price.

My original plan was to get most of the parts now and wait for the 1080 ti. But after some consideration, that seemed rather redundant. Sure the 1080 ti might probably perform better than the titan X and will perform better than the 1080, but the 1080 already more than suits my needs. And by the time I decide to upgrade, something better or more interesting that the 1080 ti might be out, and if not I'd just get the 1080 ti.