Which video card

GamerJ

I'm building a new PC (my first) and was hoping to get some opinions on which nvidia partner to go for with for either the gtx 1070 or 1080 (haven't really decided which one, but it's likely I'll go for the 1080 since it may fit into the budget). My major considerations in order are:

-Performance (I'll probably overclock in the future, but plan on running as is for now)

-Cooling

-Customer service 

-noise 

Cards I'm considering are:

-EVGA SC or FTW

-Asus strix

-Zotac amp extreme 

-MSI Gaming X 

-Gigabyte xtreme gaming

Also, hydrid or water cooled are out of the question (way over budget)

Just now, GamerJ said:

I'm building a new PC (my first) and was hoping to get some opinions on which nvidia partner to go for with for either the gtx 1070 or 1080 (haven't really decided which one, but it's likely I'll go for the 1080 since it may fit into the budget). My major considerations in order are:

-Performance (I'll probably overclock in the future, but plan on running as is for now)

-Cooling

-Customer service 

-noise 

-EVGA SC or FTW

-Asus strix

-Zotac amp extreme 

-MSI Gaming X 

-Gigabyte xtreme gaming

If you can fit a 1080 into your budget, why not? It could last you a while. Also for the cards, I'd go for looks or maybe customer service. I heard EVGA has good customer service so that could be a recommendation. In my opinion, the strix looks the best. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

EVGA Best Customer Service

Asus Best Cooling + Quiet 

MSI best performance

gigabyte 10 series is bad

zotac 10 series just dont fit in with the US lel

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

5 minutes ago, GamerJ said:

-Cooling

-Customer service 

-noise 

-EVGA SC or FTW

-Asus strix

-Zotac amp extreme 

-MSI Gaming X 

-Gigabyte xtreme gaming

evga has the best customer service i personally like the strix because it usually the cheapest when on sale and asus has decent customer service.  the reason why i wouldnt get a 1080 is because there are no games that would take advantage of it.  un less your playing all your games in 4k at max settings there is no reason for a 1080 as the 1070 is more than good

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

4 minutes ago, Apollo Refugio said:

If you can fit a 1080 into your budget, why not? It could last you a while. Also for the cards, I'd go for looks or maybe customer service. I heard EVGA has good customer service so that could be a recommendation. In my opinion, the strix looks the best. 

Looks aren't really a big deal to me. 

Yeah I have heard that about evga, which is why they are on the list. Thanks for the response

5 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

MSI best performance

Don't really know too much about the msi, but from my research, the evga ftw and asus strix seem to outpace it in terms of performance

1 minute ago, xdeathshot20 said:

evga has the best customer service i personally like the strix because it usually the cheapest when on sale and asus has decent customer service.  the reason why i wouldnt get a 1080 is because there are no games that would take advantage of it.  un less your playing all your games in 4k at max settings there is no reason for a 1080 as the 1070 is more than good

Don't plan on playing in 4k...at all. But I plan on getting a 1440p monitor next year and would like to play games at max settings. Also, not sure exactly when I'll be upgrading the card, but I would like it to last a minimum of about 2.5 - 3 years.

Just now, GamerJ said:

Don't plan on playing in 4k...at all. But I plan on getting a 1440p monitor next year and would like to play games at max settings. Also, not sure exactly when I'll be upgrading the card, but I would like it to last a minimum of about 2.5 - 3 years.

then the 1070 is perfect for you.  save your money and use the money you save from getting the 1070 over the 1080 to get some other things for your setup

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

then the 1070 is perfect for you.  save your money and use the money you save from getting the 1070 over the 1080 to get some other things for your setup

Really. That's good to know. Still not too sure though. Anyways, in your opinion, which would be the card to go for between the brands?

22 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

MSI best performance

I find your claims interesting and dubitable. MSI best performance? Every GTX 1080 OCs to the same 2100MHz ceiling, give or take 0.25%.

And how come the Zotac ones don't fit in?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I find your claims interesting and dubitable. MSI best performance? Every GTX 1080 OCs to the same 2100MHz ceiling, give or take 0.25%.

weird color selection. especially with that giant yellow part on their AMP! edition.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

Just now, Energycore said:

The zotac is on the large side, but it'll fit in my case just fine (Fractal Design Define S). 

Considering your statement, which would you recommend to go for?

16 minutes ago, GamerJ said:

Really. That's good to know. Still not too sure though. Anyways, in your opinion, which would be the card to go for between the brands?

like i said evga has the best customer service but i personally like asus for the looks preformance and there somewhat decent customer service.  in my research i found that gigabyte has the fastest 1070 but there customer service is horrible and the strix isnt very far behind.  probably wont even notice the difference.  (MSI really makes the fastest but cant find it for sale)

3 minutes ago, GamerJ said:

The zotac is on the large side, but it'll fit in my case just fine (Fractal Design Define S). 

Considering your statement, which would you recommend to go for?

The cheapest that has a good cooler (techpowerup.com does reviews of a whole bunch of graphics cards from all manufacturers).

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_1080_Amp/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_STRIX/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1080_G1_Gaming/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Gaming_X/

If you want good customer service it will depend on region, but generally Zotac and EVGA generate less complaints and Asus and Gigabyte generate a lot of complaints, here in the forums. MSI is about in the middle.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, xdeathshot20 said:

like i said evga has the best customer service but i personally like asus for the looks preformance and there somewhat decent customer service.  in my research i found that gigabyte has the fastest 1070 but there customer service is horrible and the strix isnt very far behind.  probably wont even notice the difference.  (MSI really makes the fastest but cant find it for sale)

Yeah, I've searched for the gaming Z but haven't been able to find one. Regarding asus, have you ever used their customer service before?

Just now, GamerJ said:

Yeah, I've searched for the gaming Z but haven't been able to find one. Regarding asus, have you ever used their customer service before?

yea i have some asus products.  they have decent customer service but evga and corsair by far have some of the best customer serivce but you can acually get a hold of asus relatively easily 

Just now, Energycore said:

The cheapest that has a good cooler (techpowerup.com does reviews of a whole bunch of graphics cards from all manufacturers).

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_1080_Amp/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_STRIX/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1080_G1_Gaming/

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Gaming_X/

If you want good customer service it will depend on region, but generally Zotac and EVGA generate less complaints and Asus and Gigabyte generate a lot of complaints, here in the forums. MSI is about in the middle.

My region is Canada. Also, I've read all those reviews and that's why my top 2 are the evga and the asus. The main thing putting me off from Asus is what I've heard about their customer service. 

yea i have some asus products.  they have decent customer service but evga and corsair by far have some of the best customer serivce but you can acually get a hold of asus relatively easily 

That's good to know. Main thing putting me off from Asus is what I've heard about the customer service

2 minutes ago, GamerJ said:

My region is Canada. Also, I've read all those reviews and that's why my top 2 are the evga and the asus. The main thing putting me off from Asus is what I've heard about their customer service. 

Let's look at CAD prices then

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KC648d/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-amp-edition-video-card-zt-p10800c-10p

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/63yxFT/evga-video-card-08gp46183

These are both solid choices.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I see. I actually haven't researched much on those cards (I was focusing on the amp extreme and ftw). I'll look into it, but in your opinion, should I stick with these or should I go 1 tier higher (meaning the ftw or amp extreme)

Just now, GamerJ said:

I see. I actually haven't researched much on those cards (I was focusing on the amp extreme and ftw). I'll look into it, but in your opinion, should I stick with these or should I go 1 tier higher (meaning the ftw or amp extreme)

There will be no difference between these and the more expensive ones, you can OC both of them to the same speed.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

There will be no difference between these and the more expensive ones, you can OC both of them to the same speed.

Yeah I know, but as I said I don't plan to OC just yet and will be running it stock for a while. Would you say those are still the best option?

2 hours ago, GamerJ said:

If you're getting your card after new years, I would just get the 1080 Ti that's rumored for January. If that's too much, then the 1080 prices will fall with its release. If you're really wanting to keep your card for 3 years, I'd suggest to get the most powerful card you can possibly get at the time of purchasing. That will allow you to keep the settings cranked up much longer than a lower tiered card.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

8 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

If you're getting your card after new years, I would just get the 1080 Ti that's rumored for January. If that's too much, then the 1080 prices will fall with its release. If you're really wanting to keep your card for 3 years, I'd suggest to get the most powerful card you can possibly get at the time of purchasing. That will allow you to keep the settings cranked up much longer than a lower tiered card.

Yeah, that was the original plan, but If the sales for black friday, cyber monday, and boxing day are good, I'll just get it this year. 

Also, although my original statement says for about 3 years, I'll probably have upgraded to something else by then (and by that time, there might be a new series that I would be so hyped for, I'd end up wasting hundreds of dollars on it). The 1080 more that suits my needs anyways