Microsoft hikes prices, blames brexit (enterprise)

Belgarathian

Microsoft-Banner.jpg

So as we all know, the UK through referendum voted to leave the EU. Since then the Pound has fallen against the Euro by approx. 15%. In response, as lot of manufacturers (Dell & Lenovo) have announced price increases for the UK. Now it's Microsoft's Turn. 

They've announced today that there will be up to a 22% increase in the price of enterprise software, support, and cloud based services. However, this will not effect any existing customers with price protected contracts. Ouch!

Previn's argument about the cost benefits of the macOS whole of life costs may end up becoming more prevalent if this continues... 

Source - http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/10/microsoft-jacks-up-prices-blames-brexit/

Welcome to Canada, we've been dealing with this for almost 2 years now...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah every time there is a major change in structure prices will change..... its a type of insurance for possible fallout to the economy until things smooth out.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

NZ has been relatively stable from what I've found... But 22% is enough to kill a business, particularly when a large % of enterprise $$ is spent on IT maintenance & management. 

Surely they'd have been better to price increase 22% across 3-5 years. 

32 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

NZ has been relatively stable from what I've found... But 22% is enough to kill a business, particularly when a large % of enterprise $$ is spent on IT maintenance & management. 

Surely they'd have been better to price increase 22% across 3-5 years. 

Well then idk how we're even surviving if 22% is enough to kill a business... try more than 30% xD 

I don't think they'd ever drag out the increase since it could even recover by then (for their sake, I hope it does), and they would need to overcharge eventually to make up for the lost revenue during the ramp up.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well then idk how we're even surviving if 22% is enough to kill a business... try more than 30% xD 

I don't think they'd ever drag out the increase since it could even recover by then (for their sake, I hope it does), and they would need to overcharge eventually to make up for the lost revenue during the ramp up.

Over exaggerated... 22% wouldn't kill a business, but it would definitely harm it without a price increase to compensate for the increase costs. 

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Come to 'Merica, where our pampered, cheese-covered butts get darn near everything at a no-hikeups price.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

31 minutes ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Come to 'Merica, where our pampered, cheese-covered butts get darn near everything at a no-hikeups price.

To be fair, most base prices for shit like PCs and software are decided under the US dollar then raise or drop from there.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Over exaggerated... 22% wouldn't kill a business, but it would definitely harm it without a price increase to compensate for the increase costs. 

But the UK did this to themselves, their actions tanked their economy which forces company's to raise prices. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

All hail KMS Tool :)

Until the moment when an inspection comes to check if you're using original software. It's cheaper to pay for OS than pay the fine which can be astronomical. And let's not forget the possible legal actions.

Don't forget, this edition is aimed at businesses. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wish wages had gone up 30% to go along with that decrease in value. Buying a I7 is an expensive decision nowadays

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

But the UK did this to themselves, their actions tanked their economy which forces company's to raise prices. 

ha try telling that to the idots who voted brexit.......

for the record this hike isnt because of the euro.....no one gives a shit about the euro its the doller that has caused this. and its not just ms. a company called unilever tried to rise its prices of a fuck tone of household goods from butter to toothpaste, tesco, a major supermarket, said nope and stopped selling all there goods......it lasted a day and unliver caved. loads of things have gone up in price and people still dont get why. seriously this country is a joke right now.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

9 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

-snip-

..this will not effect any existing customers with price protected contracts....
-snip-

I could be wrong, but isn't that protection there due to an EU law/rule/agreement? if so, the existing costumers got saved by what they are planning to ditch.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Wait, a 15% fall, but a 22% increase? And since the pound is worth less, the price would have increased anyway.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

And that is exactly what will happen in the UK. They will have to increase their prices as well. The consumer will carry the increased costs. As they should. They voted after all.

Whatever they import to build or do whatever they build or do,... the imported goods will be more expensive. After all: Why would any outside company just take 15% less from the UK then they did before? It wasn't the outside source fault that vote went that way after all.

So unless a product is produced 100% in the UK, without any imports being part of it, the end product will have to be more expensive in the long run.

People in the UK will have to learn that no major vote should be placed in the hands of people that don't even know what their vote will really do.

Western democracy in its current form is over-hyped and broken. Optimists are celebrating the sky hasn't fallen yet, but to me it is not a matter of if, but when, and how hard.

To the OP's comment about Apple, they would also face the same pricing pressures. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

A reasonable proposition would be for all billing to be quoted in Euro, to show that the price hasn't changed since before brexit.

Although price adjustment on software for each country is nothing new.

Lol you want to start charging brits in euros as a result of their decision to leave the European Union? 

Yay lets shit on UK as much as possible. Lets charge extra for digital goods because we can ! I hate this world :(

I do understand price increase for cloud service and support, it makes sense.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

9 minutes ago, Thony said:

Yay lets shit on UK as much as possible. Lets charge extra for digital goods because we can ! I hate this world :(

I do understand price increase for cloud service and support, it makes sense.

Its not because they can. Its because they charge in dollars and convert it to pounds. They are getting the same (maybe a bit more for added security since the UK has lost AAA credit rating) for costumers. Because the UK economy tanked post brexit, you get shafted. I do too since I live in the UK. I cycle as a hobby and cycling just got more expensive thanks to the brexit too. My bike used to cpst £650 and now goes for £750. Just because of Brexit. No new kit or anything.

And this is just the beggining. Get yourselfs ready for the corporate takeover of this country.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Batista said:

Its not because they can. Its because they charge in dollars and convert it to pounds. They are getting the same (maybe a bit more for added security since the UK has lost AAA credit rating) for costumers. Because the UK economy tanked post brexit, you get shafted. I do too since I live in the UK. I cycle as a hobby and cycling just got more expensive thanks to the brexit too. My bike used to cpst £650 and now goes for £750. Just because of Brexit. No new kit or anything.

And this is just the beggining. Get yourselfs ready for the corporate takeover of this country.

Time to move out and wait for the shitstorm to be over in couple of years.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

6 minutes ago, Thony said:

Time to move out and wait for the shitstorm to be over in couple of years.

Hopefully in a few years this will all level out

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

11 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

do you know what happened in australia where the big companies were sent to court to explain why australia gets unfair software pricing? I think it was oracle

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

That's it. I'm getting my own country. :( I'm leaving UK..

Wait, I can't go anywhere. :(  

/s

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.