Is overclocking the monitor to 75hz safe?

abdo601

i just got the benq rl2455hm.
it is 60hz but can be OC to 75 and i have gtx 1060 most games ultra settings run at 70-80 fps
so should i oc my monitor 
and will that make me lost the warranty?

3 minutes ago, abdo601 said:

i just got the benq rl2455hm.
it is 60hz but can be OC to 75 and i have gtx 1060 most games ultra settings run at 70-80 fps
so should i oc my monitor 
and will that make me lost the warranty?

You shouldn't try to push to a certain frame rate, just try to go as far as possible. You can try, and you might get to 75, but you shouldn't try to punching that number in right away

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

1 minute ago, Redsun20 said:

You shouldn't try to push to a certain frame rate, just try to go as far as possible. You can try, and you might get to 75, but you shouldn't try to punching that number in right away

Are there any safety risks? I want to try this too.

Just now, Aereldor said:

I personally overclocked my monitor, and as long as you are being careful and slowly increasing your refresh rate you should be fine. I managed to get 76hz out of my 60hz monitor. It is perfectly safe if you crank it up slowly. The way i i did it was turn up the sped 1hz, then see if it works. If it doesn't, dial it back a 1/2hz, then try again. If it worked, I would move forward 1 more. If you use a decent overclocking tool (i can't find the one I used, but I think it was the nvidia one), it will autorevert in 15 seconds in case you go past the limits. Really, you are unlikely to damage anything at all. Even if you push past, the monitor will just give you an out of range error.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Probably. Just overclock your monitor as high as you can. If you see some lines and anything not normal appearing to your monitor, you should stop by then and stick with an OC that doesn't have those things. OC'd my cheapo HP laptop from 60 to 110Hz with no problems here. 120 and above has lines in it so I don't push it that far. Also, I don't think you would lose your warranty since you can revert it back to 60 again. 

3 hours ago, Redsun20 said:

3 hours ago, Aereldor said:

2 hours ago, Ritona Reighnvhasta said:

Probably. Just overclock your monitor as high as you can. If you see some lines and anything not normal appearing to your monitor, you should stop by then and stick with an OC that doesn't have those things. OC'd my cheapo HP laptop from 60 to 110Hz with no problems here. 120 and above has lines in it so I don't push it that far. Also, I don't think you would lose your warranty since you can revert it back to 60 again. 

2 hours ago, Thread212 said:

I am not expert at this but Overclocking a monitor wont make a smoother motion ( motion clarity)
maybe u should consult @Glenwing on this one. he's a monitor badass.

Got my Acer h236hlbid  to 1080p76 on HDMI. I even tested with TestUFO. But when I used DVI, anything over 65 would project a REALLY low res. Pretty wierd. Any input?

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

8 hours ago, Redsun20 said:

I personally overclocked my monitor, and as long as you are being careful and slowly increasing your refresh rate you should be fine. I managed to get 76hz out of my 60hz monitor. It is perfectly safe if you crank it up slowly. The way i i did it was turn up the sped 1hz, then see if it works. If it doesn't, dial it back a 1/2hz, then try again. If it worked, I would move forward 1 more. If you use a decent overclocking tool (i can't find the one I used, but I think it was the nvidia one), it will autorevert in 15 seconds in case you go past the limits. Really, you are unlikely to damage anything at all. Even if you push past, the monitor will just give you an out of range error.

I got to 75 Hz on the first go and everything had a green tint.

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Monitor badass @Glenwing- your input will be most appreciated.

Monitor overclocking is relatively new so there isn't really any data on long-term risks, but so far it appears to be relatively risk-free as long as you don't go crazy. 60 to 75 Hz should be fine. As with any sort of overclocking it's not a very "stable" thing to do. My PA248Q overclocks to 75 Hz sometimes, but other times it will just give an "out of range" error with the same setting.

5 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Monitor overclocking is relatively new so there isn't really any data on long-term risks, but so far it appears to be relatively risk-free as long as you don't go crazy. 60 to 75 Hz should be fine. As with any sort of overclocking it's not a very "stable" thing to do. My PA248Q overclocks to 75 Hz sometimes, but other times it will just give an "out of range" error with the same setting.

I get a green tint when I overclock at all, whether it's 61 or 75hz. Am I hurting something in there?

8 hours ago, Aereldor said:

I get a green tint when I overclock at all, whether it's 61 or 75hz. Am I hurting something in there?

Try a different port.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 minute ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Try a different port.

The other one is an HDMI/MHL port. Let me give it a go.