Anger over store charging to demo PSVR

porina

From what I can tell/know from visiting various big Game store in London, where ever there's a psvr demo unit on display, it will be accompanied by a Sony certified spokesperson(s) who can tell you all you need to know about PSVR. Not sure if they are Game's staffs or not but they're probably charging the money to pay for that extra staff cost.

25 minutes ago, atrash said:

From what I can tell/know from visiting various big Game store in London, where ever there's a psvr demo unit on display, it will be accompanied by a Sony certified spokesperson(s) who can tell you all you need to know about PSVR. Not sure if they are Game's staffs or not but they're probably charging the money to pay for that extra staff cost.

It's free in all the other stores though.

I don't know about the UK, but in Norway we have laws that determine that any demo units of appliances contacting the skin of customers have to be sanitized in between every use, so you almost never see a store in which you can try for example headphones.

If you have 50 people who want to try this thing on any given day, that's what one of your employees is going to be busy with all day.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

3 hours ago, atrash said:

It seems there are Sony lead demos which are free, and the charged for one is separately initiated by Game. It is possible some of those may be at the same locations leading to confusion.

There's some more detail in this article from ars: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/10/try-playstation-vr-psvr-uk/

I suppose we could also approach this from another angle. Suppose you were to provide a commercial VR offering. What would you have to charge to be break even?

16 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

I don't know about the UK, but in Norway we have laws that determine that any demo units of appliances contacting the skin of customers have to be sanitized in between every use, so you almost never see a store in which you can try for example headphones.

If you have 50 people who want to try this thing on any given day, that's what one of your employees is going to be busy with all day.

I don't know if there are laws here, but certainly best practice would be to freshen it up between users. I have a Vive and I can't see an easy way to do that short of having a disposable foam cushion bit which would add to the cost.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 hours ago, crystal6tak said:

Slightly off topic, I've always wondered why arcardes don't start stationing Vive's. Seems like the perfect place for them.

They are. There's an arcade in Lyon that pays me royalties for one of our vr games. 

I know of a few in India as well. I'm sure it'll be more mainstream in the future.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.