Define S alternative but more HDD

QBtech

Hey guys,

I am in need of some of your expertise. As I am running out of storage space (two 3TB drives, non backupped, some 600GB left) I am looking for a solution to my storage problems. 

As a college student I do not have the money to invest in both additional drives and a NAS. Seeing 3TB drives are the most bang for bucks where I live (The Netherlands) I would need around 4 of those (I am not a big fan of RAID, and plan on just copying weekly) to increase my capacity and ensure some backups.

My Motherboard (z97 extreme6) has 10 sata ports so that wont be the problem but my Define S only has place for three 3.5" drives, so I am currently looking for a new case.

Sadly I have a custom loop which makes the selection process a tad more difficult. Otherwise I would have gone with a Define 5 and called it a day.

(TL-DR)

I am looking for a case with these attributes

- ATX mobo

- Min. six 3.5 inch drives

- Min. 360mm rad support (Filtered) + enough room for a D5 pump+res combo

- Window

- Power supply cover optional but prefered

- Around the same size of a Define S (60L)

I am currently just evaluating options so don't hold your punches :P

----------------------------

Current Findings

Good on paper: Enthoo Pro M. 

Can any owner confirm these wouldn't run into size restrictions?

Confirmed to work: --

Define R5 xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

7 minutes ago, belfouf said:

The site list supports for only 2 3.5 inch drives? Can you elaborate?

4 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Define R5 xD 

Yeah I have been looking at the R5 buuuutttt...

With 6 Harddrives You are forced to put a 360 rad in the top. The Top isn't fltered and leaves a huge gap were air isnt blowing through. I see you have the define S as well, and it has the same situation at the top.

3 minutes ago, belfouf said:

2x 3.5" + 3x 2.3" but because it has a lot of style..... had to advise it.

Else, I also gave you this link : http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M.html

Haha no problem, does the Pro M come with those HDD brackets? I remember one or both of the cases that use them didnt have them included. Getting those brackets is a real pain in the butt here.

Edit: No they are not included, But I found them for €5 a piece.... certainly an option

1 minute ago, QBtech said:

Haha no problem, does the Pro M come with those HDD brackets? I remember one or both of the cases that use them didnt have them included. Getting those brackets is a real pain in the butt here.

https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Modular-Bracket-Specifice-PH-HDD-KT02/dp/B015AD1L0O/ref=pd_sim_147_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B015AD1L0O&pd_rd_r=WFN4BP2XC0E6DY3TJ738&pd_rd_w=Nrw6Z&pd_rd_wg=p76Cc&psc=1&refRID=WFN4BP2XC0E6DY3TJ738

check on your usual computer websites for the included list packaging

I did a quick scan around, the Pro M is probably the best solution for you! Completely agree with Belfouf. Have fun with the build QBtech.

Not to be a buzz Kill, but I'm not sure how you will fit six hard drives and the d5 pump in that case, the brackets take up the intended space for the Pump (shown in pictures form the link) and the bottom basement holds two more HDD brackets and the PSU, leaving very little room for a standalone D5 pump, let alone the res. 

It seems like you also want the RAD to be on the intake side. Usually only front fans are filtered, and in 240MM variety (the ones that are 360 you usually cant install as much) usually support for front radiators come at the cost of these brackets you also need. 

My advice? Bite the bullet. Use a top mount radiator that exhausts instead of intakes. You'll run just a few degrees warmer but nothing that bad. You'll also have a lot more option in terms of cases, as many of therm are designed this way. (I'm not even mentioning the fact that you want it as small as the Define S)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

27 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Not to be a buzz Kill, but I'm not sure how you will fit six hard drives and the d5 pump in that case, the brackets take up the intended space for the Pump (shown in pictures form the link) and the bottom basement holds two more HDD brackets and the PSU, leaving very little room for a standalone D5 pump, let alone the res. 

It seems like you also want the RAD to be on the intake side. Usually only front fans are filtered, and in 240MM variety (the ones that are 360 you usually cant install as much) usually support for front radiators come at the cost of these brackets you also need. 

My advice? Bite the bullet. Use a top mount radiator that exhausts instead of intakes. You'll run just a few degrees warmer but nothing that bad. You'll also have a lot more option in terms of cases, as many of therm are designed this way. (I'm not even mentioning the fact that you want it as small as the Define S)

I feel you,  I feel you. With this topic I mostly wanted peoples input about cases i might have overlooked 

The Pro M has a filtered top, so that wouldnt be the issue. But indeed the pump placement would be a real head scratcher. 

As to size. .  I know that a much larger case would be able to accommodate my hardware easily. But I have only so much desk space and like the size of the define S. If it is not doable size wise i would rather create a dedicated harddisk box,  drill a hole in the bottom of my define S and connect the whole deal with some longer cables. 

And if money wasnt the issue I would fill the 3.5 bays with 8TB disks and the 2.5 bays with 4TB hdd/ssd and call it a day. Or just built a NAS xD Oh, if only I was a millionair

Yeah I was also scratching my head trying to find a case that would fit everything that doesnt break the bank. 

With a hard disc box you'd need to figure out how to power it, but good luck to you! I hope you find a solution

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Yeah I was also scratching my head trying to find a case that would fit everything that doesnt break the bank. 

With a hard disc box you'd need to figure out how to power it, but good luck to you! I hope you find a solution

I wish I didnt love watercooling as much as I did, I could just go back to air. Plus I am heavily invested xD

The box would be to difficult to power, could either use a second psu woth a jumped 24 pin and a switch or just run the PU cables down to it xD