Microsoft reports very little fragmentation of Windows 10 - Over 75% of users on the latest version.

AlTech

Microsoft is happy to report that over 75% of devices running Windows 10 (so roughly 300,000 devices) are running the recent released Anniversary Update.

Microsoft is happy about this achievement since it shows that Windows 10 fragmentation is minimal and that most devices are running up to date.

For Desktop:

adduplex-oct-4.jpg

For mobile:

adduplex-oct-2.jpg

The last time we checked in September the Anniversary Update (1607) was only on 1/3 of all Windows 10 PCs, which was itself a doubling from the prior month. Microsoft noted it was doing a slow rollout of the update to catch any issues before they affected millions and that seems to be paying off.

Now, however, the company is opening the spigot on updates as now 76.6 percent of all Windows 10 PCs are on the Anniversary Update. That's also good news for developers who can now target their apps with new Anniversary Update features without leaving many users behind.

Interestingly, new PCs like the HP Spectre x360 that went on sale this week still ship with Threshold 2 (1511) and do not automatically get the Anniversary Update (they will in November). That means some of these numbers could wax and wane depending on PC sales too.

Nice. This will mean that developers can start targeting the new Anniversary Update SDKs and take advantage of new features :).

http://www.windowscentral.com/adduplex-numbers-october-pc

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Of course there's very little fragmentation. 1: They force everyone to upgrade eventually, and 2: Most of the people who delay updates are probably gamers, and they force updates on them by making games and apps that require said updates.

Like Gears of War 4... which is the only reason why I'm even using the latest version of Win 10. 

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

how would you even block anniversary update? I wasn't even able too block/deny. Well this is no miracle with this strategy that there's little fragmentation. It's almost a poor result that "only" 78% run on 1607

Edited by 19_blackie_73
wrong version number of windoof

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

4 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

how would you even block anniversary update? I wasn't even able too block/deny. Well this is no miracle with this strategy that there's little fragmentation. It's almost a poor result that "only" 78% run on 1511

I disabled any windows updates with WinAeroTweaker

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I'm still on 1151.

While as I said before so am I. My laptop on the other hand is on the anniversary build which is kind of annoying since I'd prefer it on my desktop.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

I totally see why Microsoft is doing this. Windows is inherently insecure and people not updating is doesn't help this problem. Though with updates comes issues with programs this is why they let you defer updates so businesses can test compatibility before updates, not great for companies so they are forced to update software.

If it wasn't for a handful of games and features; such as windows storage pool I would be on Linux fulltime.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

@zMeul Please enlighten me on what is so funny.

31 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I'm still on 1151.

you mean 1511?

26 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

While as I said before so am I. My laptop on the other hand is on the anniversary build which is kind of annoying since I'd prefer it on my desktop.

5 out of the 5 Windows 10 devices in my house are running Windows 10 version 1607......

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

25 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I totally see why Microsoft is doing this. Windows is inherently insecure and people not updating is doesn't help this problem. Though with updates comes issues with programs this is why they let you defer updates so businesses can test compatibility before updates, not great for companies so they are forced to update software.

If it wasn't for a handful of games and features; such as windows storage pool I would be on Linux fulltime.

With Windows 7, I see teachers in my school dismiss update notifications all the time....

The few teachers which run Windows 10 are all pretty much up to date.....

The reason why so many are running the latest version of Windows 10 is really simple.

They are forcing the updates down your throat. Like it or not.

44 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

how would you even block anniversary update? I wasn't even able too block/deny. Well this is no miracle with this strategy that there's little fragmentation. It's almost a poor result that "only" 78% run on 1607

The idea is for the majority, if not ALL, of Windows users to be using the same version of Windows.

This is the grand master plan and Windows 10 was supposed to see this come to light.

This makes it super attractive for developers and OEMs!

54 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

Of course there's very little fragmentation. 1: They force everyone to upgrade eventually, and 2: Most of the people who delay updates are probably gamers, and they force updates on them by making games and apps that require said updates.

What is wrong with updating Windows?

54 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

Like Gears of War 4... which is the only reason why I'm even using the latest version of Win 10. 

Again, see above ^^^

9 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

The reason why so many are running the latest version of Windows 10 is really simple.

If they didn't then people wouldn't update for whatever reason. And so they are forcing it.....

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

With Windows 7, I see teachers in my school dismiss update notifications all the time....

The few teachers which run Windows 10 are all pretty much up to date.....

dismissing updates is exactly the behaviour Microsoft is trying to eradicate.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If they didn't then people wouldn't update for whatever reason. And so they are forcing it.....

The problem as I see it isn't that you're getting updates. It is that there is no way to cancel/halt these updates.

Sure, this isn't a problem for the majority of the users. But the users who rely on a computer not shutting off randomly to finish updates can cause A LOT of problems.

Edit: Examples are if you are actually using the computer for work. I know of several who were working when their windows wanted to update stuff. They took a short break for lunch or similar, and came back to a rebooted computer. Losing some of their previous work.

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

The problem as I see it isn't that you're getting updates. It is that there is no way to cancel/halt these updates.

Sure, this isn't a problem for the majority of the users. But the users who rely on a computer not shutting off randomly to finish updates can cause A LOT of problems.

You can set it so that it can only update within a specific time period during the day.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

You can set it so that it can only update within a specific time period during the day.

But it is still forcing you to update. That is my issue. And once it has done the initial download and installation of that update, then it wants to reboot.

And you can't stop that.

Just now, GlassBomb said:

But it is still forcing you to update. That is my issue. And once it has done the initial download and installation of that update, then it wants to reboot.

And you can't stop that.

But nobody would update if it didn't force you. And unless somebody comes up with an idea which fixes that, you'll get used to this.

In the Anniversary update, you can set a time period in which Windows is allowed to autoupdate.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

36 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

i dont know how i feel about this. on the one hand it is making windows more secure and giveing devs an even platform to work on, but its annoying as hell when your forced onto a update that has a known issue. 

23 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Edit: Examples are if you are actually using the computer for work. I know of several who were working when their windows wanted to update stuff. They took a short break for lunch or similar, and came back to a rebooted computer. Losing some of their previous work.

you can set your computer to update at night and tbf you can hold the update off for a while you should be able to avoid this.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

52 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Please enlighten me on what is so funny.

everything is funny

1. MS is forcing W10 updates 
  2. W10 installs still aren't on the same build
  3. 19% of the installs are on a year old build

it's fucking hilarious

@GlassBomb And it seems that this forcing updates came too little too late for Mobile......

1 hour ago, GlassBomb said:

Forcing updates is better for the average derpy user. It's worse for the tech-savvy user who knows to keep the OS up to date, but wants to control when and how.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

dismissing updates is exactly the behaviour Microsoft is trying to eradicate.

That's sort of like saying, if rapists didn't force people into unwanted sex, people would have their say over their own body... and that's the behaviour that rapists are trying to eradicate.

Those Windows installations are those people's own personal space, and property, for them to have say over. When Microsoft forces updates on people, Microsoft is stealing those people's rightful say over their own property and space. This is Microsoft being immoral.

Not to mention that Microsoft's update quality completely sucks nowadays, and so there's very good reason why people would want to avoid new Microsoft updates:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/kindle-crashes-and-broken-powershell-something-isnt-right-with-windows-10-testing/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3107306/microsoft-windows/microsoft-admits-to-distributing-windows-printing-bugs-in-kb-3177725-and-kb-3176493.html

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/06/16/june-patch-breaks-group-policy-settings.aspx

http://windowsreport.com/partition-disappears-windows-10-anniversary-update/

http://superuser.com/questions/1022063/windows-10-default-programs-keep-changing

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/16-windows-10-anniversary-update-issues-fix/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/08/15/microsoft-warns-windows-10-anniversary-update-crashes-problems/

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/717115/Windows-10-Anniversary-Update-Install-Problems-Fail

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/76719/microsoft-broken-millions-webcams-windows-10-anniversary-update

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987