RAM not utilised by system.

Go to solution Solved by meenmeen1103,

Don't know about fool proof, but you could try booting with each stick individually to make sure they both are detected/function properly, then pop both back in if both are good. Could just be they aren't seated all the way

Hi guys,

I am sure this question must have popped up many times but i couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

I have installed 16 GB (8x2) GSkill Sniper RAM in my desktop.

The system shows 16 GB installed but only 7.90 usable.

Even the bios shows 8 GB installed.

What should i do to make the entire memory available to the system??

I have tried to set it from msconfig but that didnt work.

Any fool proof method you guys mind sharing?

Thanks in advance,

Joel

RAM.png

Don't know about fool proof, but you could try booting with each stick individually to make sure they both are detected/function properly, then pop both back in if both are good. Could just be they aren't seated all the way

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Couldn't this also be a limitation from your Windows version? I know the 32bits version can support less ram than the 64bits version, but then that doesn't explain why only 8Gb are detected by the BIOS....

Just now, Nashiwa said:

Couldn't this also be a limitation from your Windows version? I know the 32bits version can support less ram than the 64bits version, but then that doesn't explain why only 8Gb are detected by the BIOS....

The screenshot shows a 64-bit OS

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Yes its a 64 bit OS that i have installed..

I guess ill have to give meenmeen's suggestion a try.

Any other suggestion are welcome...

1) Unpick "maximum RAM" from msconfig's advanced boot screen (+ restart PC)
2) Try switching to different RAM slots,
3) Can BIOS see all 16GB of RAM (it should dispaly "16 384 MB" or something similar) ?
4) Latest BIOS installed (+ add what MB model you have) ?
5) Pins in CPU socket are "OK" ?
6) What is complete S/N or model number for your RAM ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

4 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

3) Can BIOS see all 16GB of RAM (it should dispaly "16384MB" or something similar) ?
4) Latest BIOS installed ?

I guess ill have to check the pins in CPU socket.

Recently installed a Hyper 212X but when i tried to remove the stock cooler, the cpu came out with it too because of the thermal grease :D:(

I thought that it would not be a problem at that time though........

Your mobo support dual channel RAM?

Gaming Rig CPU:6700k 4.6  MoBo:MSI Z170A  

RAM:Rip Jaw 32GB DDR4 3000mhz

GPU1:EVGA 980TI Classified

GPU2: EVGA 980TI SC  PSU:Cosair AXi 1000

Cooling:Cosair H115i

Amd build I upgraded from:http://pcpartpicker.com/list/TgZJ8K 

Predator X34 monitor 

19 minutes ago, joeldcosta799 said:

I guess ill have to check the pins in CPU socket.

Recently installed a Hyper 212X but when i tried to remove the stock cooler, the cpu came out with it too because of the thermal grease :D:(

I thought that it would not be a problem at that time though........

That's painful...

Hey try checking this out https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978610 it has to do with the different versions of 7 and how each service pack interacts with ram and what some of the issue might be with have ram that isn't usable 

Predator X34 monitor 

1 hour ago, Keesler said:

Hey try checking this out https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978610 it has to do with the different versions of 7 and how each service pack interacts with ram and what some of the issue might be with have ram that isn't usable 

He has 64-bit Win7 Ultimate, that's not the issue. Only 32-bit or Home-basic is limited to less than 16.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

7 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

He has 64-bit Win7 Ultimate, that's not the issue. Only 32-bit or Home-basic is limited to less than 16.

If you read more than the first couple lines of that help page you'll see it troubleshoots for both 32 and 64 bit

Predator X34 monitor 

20 minutes ago, Keesler said:

If you read more than the first couple lines of that help page you'll see it troubleshoots for both 32 and 64 bit

I misunderstood you then, I thought you were implying his version of Windows was the cause of the memory issue. Didn't realize you were just giving him the other steps on the page to try.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

OP wrote in his 1st post:

"Even the bios shows 8 GB installed."

Since the bios doesn't recognize the 16 GB windows is obviously not the problem here.

As suggested by others we need to know:

- Specific model Number of the Ram

- Remove one of the sticks and boot up - recognized? Fine

- Boot with the other stick in the same slot - recognized? Fine

- Repeat using another slot not used by the first two tests.

- While you are fiddling about in the case: remove the 24 and 8 pin Power connectors on the board, inspect them and plug them bag in nice and tied.

- Got a spare PSU? try to use that and repeat.

- The removed thermal-paste-glue-CPU likely isn't a problem. CPUs either work or they don't at all from my experience.

Hope some of those tests might giye you a better idea what's wrong here. My bet is a faulty ramslot on the board.

15 hours ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

OP wrote in his 1st post:

"Even the bios shows 8 GB installed."

Since the bios doesn't recognize the 16 GB windows is obviously not the problem here.

As suggested by others we need to know:

- Specific model Number of the Ram

- Remove one of the sticks and boot up - recognized? Fine

- Boot with the other stick in the same slot - recognized? Fine

- Repeat using another slot not used by the first two tests.

- While you are fiddling about in the case: remove the 24 and 8 pin Power connectors on the board, inspect them and plug them bag in nice and tied.

- Got a spare PSU? try to use that and repeat.

- The removed thermal-paste-glue-CPU likely isn't a problem. CPUs either work or they don't at all from my experience.

Hope some of those tests might giye you a better idea what's wrong here. My bet is a faulty ramslot on the board.

Thanks bro.....

Sorry didn't have much time to try out these suggestions....everyday late from work :(

Will definitely try this today (hopefully) and share the results....

Thanks again....

If it doesn't work get new RAM.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

On 24/10/2016 at 2:39 PM, meenmeen1103 said:

On 24/10/2016 at 2:58 PM, agent_x007 said:

3) Can BIOS see all 16GB of RAM (it should dispaly "16 384 MB" or something similar) ?
4) Latest BIOS installed (+ add what MB model you have) ?
6) What is complete S/N or model number for your RAM ?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support...

Issue was resolved...

I guess it was the RAM that was not seated properly...

Removed a RAM stick and tried to boot but it didnt so reseated the RAM and it booted...

Thanks again...

RAM.png

1 hour ago, joeldcosta799 said:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support...

Issue was resolved...

I guess it was the RAM that was not seated properly...

Removed a RAM stick and tried to boot but it didnt so reseated the RAM and it booted...

Thanks again...

Good to hear!