Apple's powerful, cylindrical Mac Pro will start at $2,999

Gunzkewl

Apple surprised the world when it previewed the new cylindrical Mac Pro at WWDC 2013, and now the other shoe has dropped. The company has just revealed that the tiny new desktop will start at $2,999 this December.

The new Mac Pro aims to change it all in one fell swoop. Not only is the new coffeemaker-inspired chassis one-eighth the volume of original computer, Apple says it has twice the performance too, with the latest quad, 6-, 8-, and 12-core Intel Xeon E5 processors, up to 64GB of RAM, dual AMD FirePro graphics chips with up to 6GB of dedicated memory, and up to 1TB of far faster PCI Express solid state storage that runs at up to 1250MB / sec. Overall, Apple says it has 7 teraflops of compute power and should be able to do things like "seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background." Around back, there's six Thunderbolt 2 ports to drive those 4K displays and connect to next-gen peripherals, as well as four USB 3.0 ports, dual Gigabit Ethernet jacks, and HDMI output.

The base $2,999 model comes with a 3.7GHz quad-core Xeon processor, 12GB of RAM, dual FirePro D300 graphics, and a 256GB SSD. 

20130610_WWDC_00155.jpg

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/22/4849960/mac-pro-2013-price

I wont lie it's beautiful, but that price, 

Looks like a trash can

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I can just see a teenager buying one and using it as a facebook machine.

Please don't mention things like that, the knowledge that there are people stupid enough to actually do that gives me nose bleeds.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

For some reason I expected them to say dual Titans :lol: Looks really nice, but hell, I'll never need one. Really like the design, but isn't 256 gigs too little for a professional computer? They mentioned 4K, how fast would that fill the drive?

i just dont understand how it stays cool, that baffles me like crazy.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I never ever want to buy a Mac, but that's a quite interesting case design, everything is cooled just by one fan as far as I know

144Hz goodness

I would make a custom chassis for it.

The case would look like R2D2.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

For some reason I expected them to say dual Titans :lol: Looks really nice, but hell, I'll never need one. Really like the design, but isn't 256 gigs too little for a professional computer? They mentioned 4K, how fast would that fill the drive?

The design of this computer is centred around the use of the thunderbolt 2 ports for expansion.  Basically upgrading nything will be very, VERY expensive .

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

so what are the prices going to be?? 500000 dollar? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Me too it doesnt make sense to me. No matter how efficient the design for the air flow may be, its still only one fan and when it gets underload theres only so much it an do. I think its going to be an undervolted chipset kinda like the CPU's you find in Ultrabooks. Thats the only way i see it being cooled well, be at that price point, and have that low power rating.

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Me too it doesnt make sense to me. No matter how efficient the design for the air flow may be, its still only one fan and when it gets underload theres only so much it an do. I think its going to be an undervolted chipset kinda like the CPU's you find in Ultrabooks. Thats the only way i see it being cooled well, be at that price point, and have that low power rating.

I have no clue about LoVo chips but Intel might be cutting them a deal on some nice binned, power efficient and low thermal output processors

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

As was mentioned, its all banking on Thunderbolt 2 (From display, storage, and even discs!). So if you want this for a professional use, you better hope ThunderBolt 2 external drives work, are fast enough, and cheap enough.

I have no clue about LoVo chips but Intel might be cutting them a deal on some nice binned, power efficient and low thermal output processors

True, i dont have much knowledge about Xeon CPU's so i cant really comment on their power usage. I can't wait for the benchmarks though. Thats when we'll know if this is legit.

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

i dont care if apple is gonna reinvent the wheel,,, im not getting ripped off with overwhelmingly abused prices,,,

PC Gaming forever...

Yeah because most teenagers have disposable funds.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

It probably runs very hot. There are so many things wrong with this work computer. Eg. not enough RAM, not enough storage, Quadcore Xeon, FirePro's and the cooling is probably going to be terrible. To do editing on a machine you will need more than 12GB more like 64Gb and for storage you will need a few TB especially when you are using 4K. Quad core Xeon won't cut it knower days, they should have gone for an 8 core. And FirePro's are not as good as Quadros. Titans are better than FirePro's. I have no idea though what the D300 line is because there is noting on the web about them. Even AMD doesn't list them on their website. And the cooling will be quite bad just looking at the case and the way they have cooled the FirePro's. If anyone ever needs to do editing or anything like that they will be better off building it themselves. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Wow your pretty observant.

You can't deny that it does.

Every topic I post in dies.

What else would that Mac be good for?

Mac hating quota filled for today.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Represents macs well.

whats the source of ur thumbnail gif ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.