The worst computer issue I have tried to fix, every solution on the Intent doesn't work (download issue across all of windows)

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

You could try to call Dell and ask for either the disc you're looking for, or call MS and ask for a key - they will usually provide one in situations like this.

Interesting, didn't know that. However, it's still far too much of a pain. I have the key, I have the operating system, they SHOULD work. I shouldn't have to call to get specific disks or call to get a new key. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Interesting, didn't know that. However, it's still far too much of a pain. I have the key, I have the operating system, they SHOULD work. I shouldn't have to call to get specific disks or call to get a new key. 

blame dell :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

blame dell :P

And HP, and Compaq, and every other PC manufacturer who has their own "special" version of windows. ;)

I think the actual way to fix it would be to have a single installer that installs the base system, then after you activate it, it'll install any additional features that come with your particular serial key. So it's only a single image that has everything, and it's your key that unlocks certain things. 

Of course, that's extremely hackable. But it's not like many people don't already pirate windows. 

9 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

And HP, and Compaq, and every other PC manufacturer who has their own "special" version of windows. ;)

I think the actual way to fix it would be to have a single installer that installs the base system, then after you activate it, it'll install any additional features that come with your particular serial key. So it's only a single image that has everything, and it's your key that unlocks certain things. 

Of course, that's extremely hackable. But it's not like many people don't already pirate windows. 

"features"...

Usually it's just an obstacle for user tampering, they don't want to deal with the occasional script kiddie who doesn't really know what he's doing and then asks for warranty repairs. They think that maybe if they make the process more tedious people will be discouraged.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

"features"...

Usually it's just an obstacle for user tampering, they don't want to deal with the occasional script kiddie who doesn't really know what he's doing and then asks for warranty repairs. They think that maybe if they make the process more tedious people will be discouraged.

I think it's more basic than that: They don't want to have to eat the extra costs for discs. They bundle as little as possible in with computers these days, even documentation outside of the quick start guide is usually all digital nowadays. Totally a cost saving measure. I'm sure they actually field more customer support calls surrounding the lack of recovery discs than they did about having to guide people through using them.