Overclocking 6600k

Hey everyone, I finally built my first PC! I have a few questions regarding overclocking. I have a Intel 6600k and a Phanteks PH-TC14PE . I am clocked to 4.6GHZ@1.375V with my temps stable at 54°c under AIDA64 CPU,FPU&Cache Load. With those temps I know I can go higher but from what I've seen anything past 1.3 volts is dangerous. Oh yes and when overclocking, I set the ratio to 46 and slowly put up the volt until it was stable in AIDA 64 under full load. Like to know your input.

I'm pretty sure skylake recommended max voltage is 1.35 so just be careful. If temps start to go up over time then back your OC off. As far as OCing, most people start with a modest jump and make it stable then go from there, but I suppose going balls to the wall works too lmao

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 hours ago, coolmrschill said:

I am clocked to 4.6GHZ@1.375V with my temps stable at 54°c under AIDA64 CPU,FPU&Cache Load.

Don't use AIDA, it's a bad stress test. I usually recommend Prime95 (latest version), but I've heard good things about IBT and OCCT (though I've never used them. At any rate, anything will be better than potato64.

from what I've seen anything past 1.3 volts is dangerous.

More like 1.4v...

Oh yes and when overclocking, I set the ratio to 46 and slowly put up the volt until it was stable in AIDA 64 under full load. Like to know your input.

Rather, I just go straight for the max possible voltage I can handle (due to thermals) and then find the max ratio, followed by bumping the Bclk as much as possible.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

12 hours ago, Imakuni said:

followed by bumping the Bclk as much as possible.

What number would you recommend to bump the base to to start? Never messed with Bclk before.

Most users should avoid Prime95 on their intel chips unless you know 100% what you are doing in regards to voltage control. Prime95 will tend to draw much more power than other apps due to its particular AVX functions. You can use it if you know what you are doing, but it is not recommended anywhere anymore for skylake as it is similar to using furmark to test your gpu. Also as it increases the voltage, you won't be testing at your specified voltage, but a higher one than it will run while doing anything else, which is not really a test of your actual overclock.

Aida is a good test, its not the most taxing but it should work for a stress test if you aren't doing anything extreme (like running Prime95 or handbrake) I use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel Burn Test and GTA5 for my intel cpu's. Any of these programs will work in the same capacity(for me GTA5 requires the most voltage), its up to the user how much and how long he wants to test.

If you want to up the BCLK clock (not necessary at all unless you really want the last .5ghz or more ram speed) I start by going up to 105 and testing stability each time I go up by 5. If not using the multiplier most skylake chips can get 130BCLK, but that will change if you use the regular multiplier. You will need to turn your ram speeds down when you increase BCLK as the two are tied together and your ram may not work at higher speeds. however unless you want more ram speed you should be fine with just multiplier.

As the Imakuni said, you will be fine up to 1.4v provided your temps are within reason. Up to 1.45v can be done but is not reccommended unless you have a custom cooling solution to really keep the temps down.

Already you are doing better than me, my 6600k requires 1.4v to run at 4.4ghz and gets to 75C.

23 minutes ago, coolmrschill said:

What number would you recommend to bump the base to to start? Never messed with Bclk before.

Depends on where you end on the multiplier. I'd try going for as close of a +75mhz increase; so for example, if you are using a 44 multiplier because 45 is unstable, try a Bclk of 101,7. Or tweak to your heart's desire.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!