My recent experence with Newegg shipping and Fedex

Morrobotz

TL;DR;
What I wanted:

To order from one supplier with one order number.

Two day delivery service and held at the distribution center for pickup

What Happened:

Multiple orders and order numbers.

delivered to my house

I will not be using Newegg or FedEx again (unless they change the over all experience).

The story:

I ordered my parts from Newegg, All of them, I did not want to deal with multiple retailers and multiple order numbers. All of the parts I was ordering where the same price and only one or two of them where slightly cheaper according to PC part picker (not enough to make me split up the order.)  So as I placed the order I was looking for ways to provide instructions to hold the items at the shipping center.. this was not an option so I tried shipping them directly to the FedEx store (an offered option). The system yelled at me saying "This location can not accept items X and Y pick another place) Note It also asked for a sub address location for the store (you know like an apartment number) some thing I did not have, nor was able to look up. So angry and frustrated, I just had it sent to my home. At this point I place the order and then BAM everything blows up, my bank locks my card and only some of the items get payed for. Shockingly neweggs system split the order into 5 different order numbers. So I call my bank to get the card sorted (That did not make me that mad since it is a good protection)  I then call new egg and tell them all is well, lets replace the order... turns out I now have to recreate the order for the items that did not get payed for. I felt like a forensic accountant talking to the Newegg rep (Their reps where good) and rebuilding the order.

Next day I I log into FedEx to get the packages held.... not an option... I call FedEx with 10,000,000x tracking numbers and they tell me I have to call the shipper. I call NewEgg with my 5000x order number so they can make the changes. They tell me it takes some time for the system to post those changes.. (seriously? its 2016). I call FedEx any ways to confirm the changes and see if they can help at all, and they tell me the same thing (nice person, did their best but they where useless because of FedEx). I wait the next day, no updates and the tracking information tells me it will be out for delivery, so I call FedEx and get a some one who is totally useless who kept repeating "only the shipper can make changes"....... It's my address, It's my items, I payed for the shipping with my card attached to that address.... Your system has an update saying to hold the items.... well apparently not because the system is now telling me they are out for delivery. It was clear the rep was useless so I politely ask him if I could talk to a supervisor and make it clear I understand he is powerless. The supervisor apologizes, and was as nice as possible but also just as useless. I tell him this put a seriously bad taste in my mouse regarding FedEx and will be unlikely to recommend them to any one, or use them myself in the future if it can be avoided.

Newegg really needs to consider a way to consolidate order numbers into one order and hault any order that dose not complete in full, to allow for the client to call the bank and sort their card.
So long as FedEx in it's current state is the only shipping option from Newegg I will no longer be ordering from them. The Newegg FedEx "you must call the shipper" business relationship is not an acceptable for myself to use Newegg again.
FedEx needs to update their system and address the 24 hour delay on changes to a package shipping options.

(Note: I did not want signature service since It was more money (seriously) and would result in adding a day to the shipping since I would not be able to pickup the package until the next day)

Luckily I was able to get out of work early and arrive 20 minutes after the items had been delivered (no one stole anything). Also good guy FedEx driver (contractors, not actually employees FYI) did me a solid and put my two display boxs behind the larger brown boxs as the branding on the monitor boxes made it obvious what they where.

Lastly I am sure there was a valid reasons for everything that happened to me and that Newegg may have that "you must call the shipper" relationship with  FedEx to prevent people from steeling delivery however the overall experience was not a satisfying one.

What do you think? am I over reacting, did I screw up as a customer? Are my gripes valid?

Different order numbers are sometimes given for packages that may be too large for one box. For example, a ATX mid-tower would get it's own order number while the PSU, RAM, GPU, and CPU will have its own.

Did you call FedEx and ask if the driver could deliver the package to the back-door or other safe location?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Morrobotz said:

TL;DR;
What I wanted:

To order from one supplier with one order number.

Two day delivery service and held at the distribution center for pickup

What Happened:

Multiple orders and order numbers.

delivered to my house

I will not be using Newegg or FedEx again (unless they change the over all experience).

The story:

I ordered my parts from Newegg, All of them, I did not want to deal with multiple retailers and multiple order numbers. All of the parts I was ordering where the same price and only one or two of them where slightly cheaper according to PC part picker (not enough to make me split up the order.)  So as I placed the order I was looking for ways to provide instructions to hold the items at the shipping center.. this was not an option so I tried shipping them directly to the FedEx store (an offered option). The system yelled at me saying "This location can not accept items X and Y pick another place) Note It also asked for a sub address location for the store (you know like an apartment number) some thing I did not have, nor was able to look up. So angry and frustrated, I just had it sent to my home. At this point I place the order and then BAM everything blows up, my bank locks my card and only some of the items get payed for. Shockingly neweggs system split the order into 5 different order numbers. So I call my bank to get the card sorted (That did not make me that mad since it is a good protection)  I then call new egg and tell them all is well, lets replace the order... turns out I now have to recreate the order for the items that did not get payed for. I felt like a forensic accountant talking to the Newegg rep (Their reps where good) and rebuilding the order.

Next day I I log into FedEx to get the packages held.... not an option... I call FedEx with 10,000,000x tracking numbers and they tell me I have to call the shipper. I call NewEgg with my 5000x order number so they can make the changes. They tell me it takes some time for the system to post those changes.. (seriously? its 2016). I call FedEx any ways to confirm the changes and see if they can help at all, and they tell me the same thing (nice person, did their best but they where useless because of FedEx). I wait the next day, no updates and the tracking information tells me it will be out for delivery, so I call FedEx and get a some one who is totally useless who kept repeating "only the shipper can make changes"....... It's my address, It's my items, I payed for the shipping with my card attached to that address.... Your system has an update saying to hold the items.... well apparently not because the system is now telling me they are out for delivery. It was clear the rep was useless so I politely ask him if I could talk to a supervisor and make it clear I understand he is powerless. The supervisor apologizes, and was as nice as possible but also just as useless. I tell him this put a seriously bad taste in my mouse regarding FedEx and will be unlikely to recommend them to any one, or use them myself in the future if it can be avoided.

Newegg really needs to consider a way to consolidate order numbers into one order and hault any order that dose not complete in full, to allow for the client to call the bank and sort their card.
So long as FedEx in it's current state is the only shipping option from Newegg I will no longer be ordering from them. The Newegg FedEx "you must call the shipper" business relationship is not an acceptable for myself to use Newegg again.
FedEx needs to update their system and address the 24 hour delay on changes to a package shipping options.

(Note: I did not want signature service since It was more money (seriously) and would result in adding a day to the shipping since I would not be able to pickup the package until the next day)

Luckily I was able to get out of work early and arrive 20 minutes after the items had been delivered (no one stole anything). Also good guy FedEx driver (contractors, not actually employees FYI) did me a solid and put my two display boxs behind the larger brown boxs as the branding on the monitor boxes made it obvious what they where.

Lastly I am sure there was a valid reasons for everything that happened to me and that Newegg may have that "you must call the shipper" relationship with  FedEx to prevent people from steeling delivery however the overall experience was not a satisfying one.

What do you think? am I over reacting, did I screw up as a customer? Are my gripes valid?

That is insane! Is this how shopping usually works? I am very croutons curious to see who replies to this! 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

8 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

That is insane! Is this how shopping usually works? I am very croutons curious to see who replies to this! 

Many products come from a variety of distribution centers. It's not like there is one warehouse that olds all do the products on newegg. Some items will come from warehouse a, and others from warehouse b. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Newegg isn't exclusively a seller. Some items are sold on newegg from a third party

Two monitors? Yeah you're gonna get different numbers. Happens with most large items. Now of course large is relative to what you're talking about. If you're at Home Depot, a monitor is tiny compared to a shed. Compared to a PSU or SSD, it's huge. The card lock thing doesn't quite make sense to me. Obviously it would have been a lot of money if it were two monitors and more (happened to me, but I was in store so I used another card) but I would have expected if that happened that they would have held the entire order.

so here's my question:

why was it so important that you had all these things shipped together at the same time? Why did you want them held at the FedEx office? Was it simply because you knew you wouldn't be home during normal shipping hours?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Many products come from a variety of distribution centers. It's not like there is one warehouse that olds all do the products on newegg. Some items will come from warehouse a, and others from warehouse b. 

My understanding of the Amazon store is they have all items in all locations, or at least try to, to avoid that very issue. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

That seems odd. :/ The times I've ordered from NewEgg, I've rarely had any issues.  Also most of the time I receive the order the next day, even without paying for expedited shipping.  (I think this is because I live about a 2 hour drive from the City of Industry, CA Newegg location.  I do wish they were open Sunday afternoon/evenings, as that'd be the most likely day & time I'd be in the area.)  If the parts come from one of the other locations, of course it takes longer.

10 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

My understanding of the Amazon store is they have all items in all locations, or at least try to, to avoid that very issue. 

impossible, the warehouse would have to be trillions of square footage

5 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

impossible, the warehouse would have to be trillions of square footage

they have crazy big where houses in the middle of nowhere. They have the space. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

not to have everything on there website on one place, amazon doent even touch a lot of the stuff they sell, instead it come straight form the manufacture's regional warehouse.

44 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Newegg isn't exclusively a seller. Some items are sold on newegg from a third party

Two monitors? Yeah you're gonna get different numbers. Happens with most large items. Now of course large is relative to what you're talking about. If you're at Home Depot, a monitor is tiny compared to a shed. Compared to a PSU or SSD, it's huge. The card lock thing doesn't quite make sense to me. Obviously it would have been a lot of money if it were two monitors and more (happened to me, but I was in store so I used another card) but I would have expected if that happened that they would have held the entire order.

so here's my question:

why was it so important that you had all these things shipped together at the same time? Why did you want them held at the FedEx office? Was it simply because you knew you wouldn't be home during normal shipping hours?

You are totally on point here and others kinda brought similar points up.

I Totally understand that items come from different places and or sub vendors, that is fine. However, having to provide different order numbers and tracking numbers was a pain and not necessary since I was talking about the order as a whole. The lack of an overarching reference for this order was frustrating.  Given the common occurrence of multiple drop shipping points, it would seam logical to me that having a parent number for the order with sub order numbers would make a lot more sense.

4 minutes ago, Morrobotz said:

I Totally understand that items come from different places and or sub vendors, that is fine. However, having to provide different order numbers and tracking numbers was a pain and not necessary since I was talking about the order as a whole. The lack of an overarching reference for this order was frustrating.  Given the common occurrence of multiple drop shipping points, it would seam logical to me that having a parent number for the order with sub order numbers would make a lot more sense.

Yeah that makes sense. Sorry to hear about it man bad experiences always suck (no shit right?). I've had good luck with newegg but I've never ordered more than one or two things at a time from them also. 

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

9 minutes ago, Morrobotz said:

Having a parent/child sales number could cause more confusion and also fits with how their system works with your ID and sales/invoice #. Having more than one tracking ID makes it possible to find what was lost or stolen more effective.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Yeah they TRY to. I order from amazon everyday. Usually when I order a few items at once, most will come in one box while one or two will show up a day or two later in another box. It's not feasible to have all products available at every warehouse. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown