CPU limitations of Ashes of the Singularity.

DozerKitty

Hi all.

I've played this wonderful game quite a bit but having an older system, I could really feel how much this game really requires to run. But I was wondering, how CPU dependent is this game actually?

System Specs:

Asus Z77-A

Intel i5-2500K

16 GB RAM

2x7870 ASUS DCU-II

256 GB Samsung 840 PRO.

I was fortunate enough to win the XFX RX480 GTR 8GB card, which had me jumping for pure joy. I plugged it in, and the first thing I did, was to bench the card in AotS. I had done benches with the 7870, so I had something to compare directly to. Low-and-behold, the bench is done, and... I get the *exact* same result as with my 7870. The largest difference was 0.5 FPS.

Should be noted, this is in DX11 on Win 8.1. Haven't done any DX12 yet, as I haven't upgraded to Win 10. This is on my to-do list.

In the next couple of days, I'm getting an Asus Z87-A motherboard with an Intel i7-4770k CPU, which should bump it up quite a bit.

But what exactly is the bottleneck here? Is it my CPU, or simply DX11 which can't deliver any more within this game?

- Dozer

If that's crossfire 7870s, I guess the performance difference wouldn't be much.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

On 23/10/2016 at 6:38 PM, ivan134 said:

If that's crossfire 7870s, I guess the performance difference wouldn't be much.

Crossfire doesn't do anything in AotS, at least not in DX11. In DX12 they can do "multiGPU" where they in their own code utilizes more than one GPU, but without them being in crossfire.

Use DDU to wipe the drivers, then reinstall them

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

Use DDU to wipe the drivers, then reinstall them

I'm on Windows 8.1 currently, so there isn't any support for it as it stands. AotS doesn't have actual support for crossfire or SLI as it stands, so it wouldn't change anything :)

2 minutes ago, DozerKitty said:

I'm on Windows 8.1 currently, so there isn't any support for it as it stands. AotS doesn't have actual support for crossfire or SLI as it stands, so it wouldn't change anything :)

I meant for the 480.

Just now, ivan134 said:

I meant for the 480.

Ah, thanks. I completely wiped all old drivers, before installing the latest. I'll start to get worried should I get the same results after a reinstall to Win 10, after upgrading to the 4770k.